What's the highlight of 2020 in terms of feature?

ChoromPotro
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

2 minutes ago, ChoromPotro said:

@cayarsand yet still no lyrics support . Or a dedicated music player like plexamp or gelli.

Correct.  Do any of those have high request counts in the requests section? I personally don't know (why I'm asking).

Just me personally but I've not seen the need for a dedicated music player. I can use a tab on my browser or Theater to play music in the background so what benefit does a standalone music only player add? Same with my Android phone or tablet.  I'm sure others feel differently of course.

Plexamp never appealed to me (still doesn't) and I was playing with it months before it was ever released. Elon spent over a year working on that before any users ever saw it as it was his pet project at the time.  I'm really not sure why any type of feature like this couldn't be done via web browser without any special apps.

Now I do agree music can use things like loudness leveling, true gapless playback, fades & transitions & of course an Equalizer (these are in PlexAmp) but I'd rather see these embedded in the server so it would work in anything from browsers to Rokus and were device dependant (different setting for each device). Some of these things could then be used for videos as well.

So I get why people might like PlexAmp but I'd rather have these features in the backend and available to more than just music.

• Like 1

ChoromPotro

@cayarsluke has said for years that lyric support is something they want to incorporate. I don't have the link off hand but I can find it , but I believe you already are in the loop on that one.

The way you say things can be substituted is definitely true. I can also just copy the entire movie on my phone and watch it with VLC going by that logic. It's called convenience. The reason I spent 120$ on this app is not because I can shoehorn alternate solution to a problem I have, but to have maximum convenience. If a competing product has those features, a person will use that competing product. And you make a far cry about advertisement in Plex. Most users here uses Facebook, Google, Amazon. These companies log , profiles and sells your data much more heavily than Plex.

Plexamp is nice because it gives a nice, modern look to the music player and it's custom mix build is top notch. Also it shows lyrics, changes background with matching artwork (ultrablur), has sweet fades and overall polish. I can definitely achieve a capable music playing experience with Emby but then again, I can also ssh into a remote storage server and play music via CLI. Is that maximum convenience? No. Does that work? Yes.

Should we do that? In my opinion, no.

I would like to think if the dev team have been quiet in releasing new features it means that something big is coming. 

I am probably wrong and it could be down to the fact that this year has been crap and the devs could have all sorts of things to have to deal with on a personal level over the dev of what is essentially a free service.

I do think Emby is amazing and the dev team are great at helping out the general user on these forums.  Emby does seem to be lacking behind the others as of late but I am sure things will start picking up soon with new features.  I'm that sure of it I decided to pay for a lifetime premium this year to hel support the effort.

Yes I'm aware of wanting to support Lyrics.  I was just in a thread about an hour ago on this.  I'd like to see this happen as well and think it's very doable.

I think you took what I said wrong.  Maybe poor wording from me on it.

They were my own personal thoughts, not company, based on my family's use.  I personally don't see the need for a standalone player or put another way, I myself probably wouldn't use it.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't be great for someone else!  To be honest I don't use Emby much any more for music.  With Alexa and Google Home and the music service they support my family tends to go that route.  I have over 500K song tracks so it's not to shabby a collection but my family STILL would use other services so I mostly retired my music in Emby. Hence my personal lack of need.  

Elaborating a bit more, most of the music playing by family is voice triggered.  In my environment improvement in the voice triggered SKILLs for Alexa and Google Home would be what's needed to get my family back using Emby Music.  Thus the normalization and stuff on the server I mentioned. Being able to play back music directly on the Alexa or Google Home device vs through an Emby attached device would be icing on the cake.  <--This would likely be what gets my family back using Emby for music as they could drop their music subscriptions and still play music back through their devices by voice.

So I get a dedicated app but would love to see some kick-ass features usable not only through a dedicated app but also for other things like Alexa and Google Home as well so multiple clients get a benefit.

Edited by cayars

9 minutes ago, GiGo said:

I would like to think if the dev team have been quiet in releasing new features it means that something big is coming. 

:)

1 hour ago, GiGo said:

the dev of what is essentially a free service.

I might be understanding this wrong but Emby is a company and therefore I would say the devs aren't doing the job for free, they do this for living (to avoid misunderstanding: that's absolutely ok), maybe in part-time though.

I might also be wrong on this though...

1 hour ago, neik said:

I might be understanding this wrong but Emby is a company and therefore I would say the devs aren't doing the job for free, they do this for living (to avoid misunderstanding: that's absolutely ok), maybe in part-time though.

I might also be wrong on this though...

Yes I do beleive emby is a company, but remember that 90%+ of the service that emby provide is FREE to use.  I am sure some/all of the devs get paid in some form or another, they may not get paid and only get a commission or a cut of the subs/purchases, for which I have no idea, but he fact remains, the service is prodemitley free, the average Joe can come, download and stream without having to pay anything, which is what I had done for many years until I coughed up this year to show my support to a programs I've used since the Media Browser days.

• Like 1