Transcode from h.264 to h.265 to get lower birate and lower final file size. & Deny Transcoding for a specific Folder OR Library

CyberPoison

CyberPoison

Hi everyone.

My idea is the next, It would be awesome if i can allow transcoding from h.264 to h.265 to get better Bitrates and lower files size.

So basically all my contents is on H.264 because of Web compatibility issues and for some of the content is not available in H265 so my idea is to force transcoding on the fly from H.264 -> H.265 in case the device support it, i really don't want to re convert all my library to h.265 because it can be 45 times the size of already used to maintain the h.264 + h.265 .

So allow people to transcode from h.264 to h.265 on the fly will be awesome to reduce bitrates and size at the end and depending in client support.

I currently i'm not allowing transcoding and as i can see on my networks records the egress from my NAS is very big and some of the content transcoded to h.265 on the fly will gain 40 percent of the bitrate maybe not sure how to calculate this, 

image.thumb.png.541c91b3eb47eec9d8577875086ee663.png

H.264 Content are usualy 7- 15 Gbytes and transcoded on the fly to h.265 will get better bitrates and final size (Weight) resulting more people on my NAS and server to watch content simultaneous.

==========================================================================================================================================

An other things to add to this feature Request will be to allow us to Deny Transcoding for a Specific Folder or Library because i have some library like 4K content not playable on web browsers so i deny all transcoding things, but if the things above is featured and developed it requires to allow "Codec UP Scale" Transcoding so it will be nice to have it divided and allow Up Codec transcoding like H.264 TO H.265 but not H.265 TO H.265 i guess this need very improvements to manage the transcoding. 

If there is already a way to do that thanks to give me a hand.

Kind Regards CyberPoison

Edited by CyberPoison