Emby not releasing HDHomeRun tuner

pinkfamily7

16 minutes ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Thank you I was looking all over the dashboard for it, I'm too trained on Plex. 

Don't worry, you'll loose those bad habits quickly. LOL

• Haha 1

Jason'sEmby

@cayars sorry one more question, I just realized it's been a very long time since I have actually looked at the pricing structure. So it's charged  by the amount of devices you have now. I pay the monthly to help development but now since I'm switching over I have a little under 45 devices as I love testing different devices. So would I do the second-tier structure for $11.99 or can I still be on the plan I'm on now for $4.99 but I just not be able to use live TV on all of them or I don't understand it 🤔. I currently have 53 devices under my device list. This is when I tried emby about two and a half years ago as my primary. Thank you for the info.

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Keep the questions coming if it helps you understand.  I certainly don't mind.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

This will make it clear if you want to check and count the devices.  For example some devices like android need to be unlocked or have a Premiere license for full playback.  Other devices like browsers or Rokus do not need an unlock or Premiere license for full playback BUT WOULD need a Premiere license for Live TV or anything that's a Premiere feature.

You mention you have 45 devices but mention you have 53 listed in the device section.  I recently cleaned my device list out but have 35 devices showing currently but still only use the 25 count basic license. So some of these devices are browsers I've connected and played back a tv show or movie (no license needed).

Now something to understand.  Devices will stay on the device list until your remove them or clean them up.  Just because a device is listed here does NOT mean it will use a premiere license.  First thing to keep in mind is Emby will only use a license if the client needs it for full playback and it hasn't been unlocked OR if you use a premiere feature.  Then it will require a license.  This license is "rolling" and by that I mean if a device hasn't been used requiring a Premiere License in a week it fall off the count (but will shows on your server device menu).

So once a device uses a Premiere License slot it will get freed up a week after it's last use. So if you have a bunch of devices not hooked up all the time but are broke out to play with from time to time you want to keep this in mind as you won't need a "perpetual" license for it.

If I were you I'd start with the normal Premiere license and upgrade if/when you have to. You might get by fine with the 25 licenses depending on your use.

You will get a warning message when you get close to your limit and will get a message if you exceed your license count so there won't be an issue knowing about it. LOL

• Like 1

Jason'sEmby

Thank you so much for the clarification it was quite confusing. Yeah I'll clear them up they were all old devices from two and a half years ago. I have some of them but not all of them anymore. Just moved over to Beta Channel server and that fixed my Hardware transcoding on my new 3080 so I'm good to go! Now I have to move over my five hdhomerun Primes, two hdhomerun connects, one hdhomerun connect 4K and set the channels up🥴. I appreciate your help again. Have a great day!

Glad you got things working and have a better understanding of the Premiere License.

Let us know (new thread) if you have any issues with the HDHomeRun setup.  Sounds like you like Live TV/PVR functionality with so many tuners. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
pinkfamily7

Is this bug rearing it's head again?

image.png.cb7735cfbeb40c18f28fb6ed710e6d08.png

Nobody on my server watching anything, at the moment.  Restarting the server released the tuners.  Beta 4.6.0.52

Edited by pinkfamily7

Just now, pinkfamily7 said:

Is this bug rearing it's head again?

image.png.cb7735cfbeb40c18f28fb6ed710e6d08.png

Nobody on my server watching anything, at the moment.  Restarting the server released the tuners.

Hi there, please attach the emby server log from before you restarted. thanks.

I saw 809 in use in your log but not the other 2 channels.

Are they using the IP of your Emby Server?

pinkfamily7

It's possible those channels had been locked since yesterday.  Maybe even before (whenever I restarted Emby last?)  I just got the text this afternoon because at that point all 3 tuners were locked, so my parents couldn't watch TV anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
pinkfamily7

I have not run into this since updating to the latest beta (or whatever the latest beta after the one when this was posted... still not running into it though.)  Thanks for following up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.  Let us know if anything changes.