This Emby server needs to be updated

pjshots
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Its Christmas morning and then this message appears:

This Emby Server needs to be updated. To download the latest version. 

Then it dumps you off of the server. 

Currently running:

• Android: 3.1.73
  • Linux Server: 4.2.1.0

Its a present i suppose.

Edited by pjshots

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you able to update to a newer version of Emby Server? 4.5.4 is the latest.

Yep, sorry, didn't realise how old the version I was running was (Aug 2019). I'll treat myself and update to the latest.

Have a good Christmas Luke.

nickster5001

Is it possible to force it if upgrade is not possible? I only have 4.2.1.0_1 available as a FreeNas Plugin.Emby still works from my Sheild Pro but I cannot access anything from my Android app.

Edited by nickster5001

MRobi
On 30/12/2020 at 10:48, nickster5001 said:

Is it possible to force it if upgrade is not possible? I only have 4.2.1.0_1 available as a FreeNas Plugin.Emby still works from my Sheild Pro but I cannot access anything from my Android app.

This is how to manually update. It's actually quite simple. If you're all the way back on 4.2.1 I'd recommend checking the dependencies as well since I'm sure there's been a few new ones. If it were me, I'd just force re-install all dependencies, easier that way than checking them one at a time.

See the list of dependencies here.

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

So I'd do it like this:

service emby-server stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install -f mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.5.4.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.5.4.0_amd64.txz
service emby-server start

Any time there's a new update, you can grab the link from the github here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/

Edited by MRobi

• 2 years later...
BeenAround

The problem for me with Emby using the Android app isn't upgrading the server. That's super simple if I'm actually using the Android app at home. I just go upstairs and do it. My problem with Emby is when I'm in another state, or country and I want to watch something from home and get this error message.  Fine, the server needs to be updated, but don't lock me out of my own server. Warn me. Pester me. Give me 30 days before you put up a virtual wall. But don't make a server I don't have access to and may not have access to for a few weeks impossible to use. Of course it's not impossible, I can drag out my laptop and access the server via the web, but that's not always convenient when I'm on the road. So now I've uninstalled the app, because it doesn't matter how old the server is, I can still access it via a web browser, even on Android.

Hi.  You could always just log in to your server dashboard on a browser on your phone and execute the update as well.  Or allow auto updates.

• 2 months later...

I can no longer get into Emby via the app on any android device.

I can get in via web browser and address but the apps just say the emby server needs updating.

I am using 4.7.8 server the app is 3.3.49

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, kmed27 said:

I can no longer get into Emby via the app on any android device.

I can get in via web browser and address but the apps just say the emby server needs updating.

I am using 4.7.8 server the app is 3.3.49

Any ideas?

Hi @kmed27are you able to update to 4.7.14? Or at least 4.7.9?

Hi @Luke , thanks for getting back.

I was hopeing to wait until 4.8 comes out as I don't want to lose the info on episodes etc.

Has something changed in the app to stop it working?

Edited by kmed27

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, kmed27 said:

I was hopeing to wait until 4.8 comes out as I don't want to lose the info on episodes etc.

Why are you under the impression you'd lose those on server upgrade? 

You can also use Backup & Restore plugin for added security.

Configuration Backup

Because it was in the forums and Luke said he would add an option to show the thumnails of the episodes again in 4.8 as they were removed.

11 hours ago, kmed27 said:

Hi @Luke , thanks for getting back.

Has something changed in the app to stop it working?

Emby apps have raised their minimum supported server version to 4.7.9.

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, kmed27 said:

Because it was in the forums

I really don't know what are you referring to. 

7 hours ago, kmed27 said:

and Luke said he would add an option to show the thumnails of the episodes again in 4.8 as they were removed.

Neither I know what do you mean by that, which option? To show them where? 

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

Topic in question

Hope this helps remind you.

Ah, Next Up row. Yes, I remember now, I was irked at the time (and still am) by it's removal. 

Honestly, don't think it'll be ever coming back, but you can achieve very similar effect now with flattened season display (included in 4.8).

Have you checked hosted Web app with 4.7.14, does it offer same display option? 

11 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Ah, Next Up row. Yes, I remember now, I was irked at the time (and still am) by it's removal. 

Honestly, don't think it'll be ever coming back, but you can achieve very similar effect now with flattened season display (included in 4.8).

Have you checked hosted Web app with 4.7.14, does it offer same display option? 

No, I'm still on 4.7.8 with it still working correctly and I can see the next up thumnails with title of the next up episode (which I don't want to lose).

That's the reason I haven't upgraded, I assumed there would be an option added to 4.8 to allow them to be shown again, as it is really important to me for lots of reasons.

Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like now, please to see if gives what is needed?

Not sure what you mean by "hosted Web app".

I might just have to stop using the android app 😪.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like now, please to see if gives what is needed?

On 5/22/2023 at 5:02 PM, MBSki said:

image.thumb.png.0adba2584bde91a1885a4aff66eba2a2.png

Where to find the option

Go to Display and scroll to bottom and you'll see a drop down for Preferred TV Show display. 

image.png.99b57c3d22123b20e3884c6d10524fe8.png

12 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

Not sure what you mean by "hosted Web app".

Go to http://app.emby.media or https://app.emby.media, depending on your server setup. 

Thanks for that, tried the hosted web app but it also says upgrade server.

Does this also show along with play next up?

Will it just show the ones that haven't been played yet?

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

Does this also show along with play next up?

There is no "Next Up" row in any form any more, that's as close as you'll get. 

8 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

Will it just show the ones that haven't been played yet?

No, it just shows flattened season (or seasons, depending on your preference). 

Oh 😪

But has it been added back in 4.8?

@Lukesaid in July 22 "Options to control this are certainly possible for future updates."

then

@ryembyansaid in May 23 "Thank you for adding this back in the 4.8 beta version it looks great!"

Do you know, if I update to 4.8 beta if I can go back to 4.7.8 if I need to? or does it change the database etc so that I wouldn't be able to go back?

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

But has it been added back in 4.8?

Like in previous iteration - no. But the flattened season display will somewhat auto-scroll to last played/next unplayed episode, so you'll get very similar/almost identical result, as stated:

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

you can achieve very similar effect now with flattened season display

9 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

Lukesaid in July 22 "Options to control this are certainly possible for future updates."

Which is true for any feature, it is possible - how likely it is is another matter. 

11 minutes ago, kmed27 said:

@ryembyansaid in May 23 "Thank you for adding this back in the 4.8 beta version it looks great!"

I cannot speak for that member, but I'd assume he was referring to same flattened season display, as that'd be the only logical explanation.

Do you know, if I update to 4.8 beta if I can go back to 4.7.8 if I need to?

Nope. 

or does it change the database etc so that I wouldn't be able to go back?

It does.