HVEC conversion not working "Incompatible profile: Main"

vanshyr
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi all!

Recently i have upgraded my FreeNAS to TrueNAS version, along it I updated my emby-server from the DHCP version to the NAT version that comes with the plugin and is working now with iocage, no special reason i just wanted to try the other version available. (Extra information just in case you need it :) )

I decided to recreate my emby library and do a fresh start to reorganize everything and do a better structure.
I saw that now, I have the possibility to convert the videos to HVEC using Emby (yep, it has been a while i was not using it) instead of doing it manually  as i was doing it before, so i decided to give it a try, in my test always that i choose HVEC to be involved the conversion fails (HVEC - HVEC, H264 - H264,HVEC)
, checking the logs the problem is pretty straight forward, apparently the profile name coded mismatch, in the emby code the profile is called "Main", where in Hvec the profile is called "main"

Is this a bug in the code or am i missing something?

Could you please indicate me, where in the code those parameters are setup so i could play with it, editing the file and setting different values by default, like for example instead of setting the main profile by default to load main-10 etc.

Thanks!

ffmpeg-transcode-c4e64efc-4b33-4d76-ab77-b7962d341b0f_1.txt

Hi Luke, Thanks!

I have tested it now and apparently is working, the conversion has not finished but at least it is running so i assume it is working.

Merry Christmas!

Hello @vanshyr

may I hijack your thread and ask how I would be able to transcode in 265? My transcoding settings page only shows h264 setting, but no option to change that into 265/hevc.

Hi @Tupsi,

notice we are talking here about Conversion not Transcoding, for transcoding settings the only option to do it on the fly is H264 codec.

if you want to convert your videos with x265 you have the option in the "..." of each video/folder.

Bests,
V

Baenwort

My understanding is that to do HVEC transcoding we need hardware acceleration of HVEC ENCODING as CPU encoding of HVEC is to slow for real time transcoding. This is why it is only a conversion option as conversion does not happen in real time.

22 hours ago, vanshyr said:

Might I ask for what do you need Hvec in transcoding?

just for saving bandwidth. Currently I can use transcoding only at home as me internet upload sucks (5 Mbits/s). So when I am away it would make a difference for me. Although to be honest, the use case is pretty thin, so not worth putting any effort into it and I am currently encoding everything I do for quite some time now in vp9/opus anyway, so I worked around that barrier anyway, as a good 1080p in 5.1 is something like 3k max there and all mobile devices I have can do vp9/opus these days.

18 hours ago, Baenwort said:

My understanding is that to do HVEC transcoding we need hardware acceleration of HVEC ENCODING as CPU encoding of HVEC is to slow for real time transcoding. This is why it is only a conversion option as conversion does not happen in real time.

Well I only have a modest intel cpu in my server from around 2017 and that already can encode hevc in >50fps, so that isnt the issue here. Software encoding is to slow, I would agree there, but we are talking about the hardware part.

I'm currently in the process of converting my entire library to x265 using unmanic on docker. The benefit of converting your library is for space saving not for transcoding. You'll get a file size reduction of 40-70%. You do not transcode to HEVC on the fly, I will assure you now that your modest cpu without hardware accelleration cannot handle it. In fact, depending on how modest we're talking here it may not be able to handle transcoding a file that's been converted to x265. It all depends on your setup. 

On 28/12/2020 at 11:18, Tupsi said:

just for saving bandwidth. Currently I can use transcoding only at home as me internet upload sucks (5 Mbits/s). So when I am away it would make a difference for me. Although to be honest, the use case is pretty thin, so not worth putting any effort into it and I am currently encoding everything I do for quite some time now in vp9/opus anyway, so I worked around that barrier anyway, as a good 1080p in 5.1 is something like 3k max there and all mobile devices I have can do vp9/opus these days.

If your final goal is to save bandwidth i understand you can do the same degrading on the fly the videos when you are going to play them via internet, you have an option when watching the video where you can degrade it to f.ex. 1080p 4Mbps, so with that you can achieve the goal you talk about here.

As the others point you, x265 mostly benefits from saving space in your library, in my case i play it mostly locally , if i am going to travel I plan a little bit and download it to my phone f.ex.