Emby Theater 3.0.13 Stopped Playing 4K movies

roberton1

roberton1

Emby Theater 3.0.13 Stopped Playing 4K movies today (Dec-22-2020). It was working good yesterday but it doesn't work today, all it shows is a blue screen, the sound is good but no image. Regular content plays but is choppy and I had never had that issue before.

What can I do to fix this issue? I remove the app (including in the registry) and reinstalled it but I was not able to fix the issue.

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
roberton1

After installing Emby Theater 3.0.14  the blue screen issue was fixed and 4K movies are playing again but they are glitchy not smooth as they were before. I changed the video rendering to gpu as recommended by @AdrianW and also made the changes suggested by @dansblackcat but the problem still continues. All none 4K movies are working good and play with no issues.

Thank you for your help.

Both of Roberts issues are my experience as well...NOTHING changed except the version of Emby.  The first question in troubleshooting is what did you do/what changed....and for my part that is a big fat nothing.nothing.  Other than drivers, EMBY is the only thing installed on this machine as it is a dedicated machine behind my TV. Hell, I have to transcode my 4k just to watch it smooth now on the Roku that we only have for Disney+

I know you are trying to help so I don't mean for this to sound the wrong way,  but it is unfortunate this always falls back on users when client updates are forced and are the obvious cause.  Considering my line of work with all the change management, UAT, etc....kind of frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this.  On two computers.  Since these are dedicated machines and nothing but Emby and drivers get installed on them...I even re-formatted and still get this issue on a fresh install.

Really wish there was a way to opt out of updates.

sooty234
1 hour ago, jbl77 said:

Did this.  On two computers.  Since these are dedicated machines and nothing but Emby and drivers get installed on them...I even re-formatted and still get this issue on a fresh install.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, sooty234 said:

Please post screenshots of your video settings in Theater.

Also the playback settings

sooty234

And try adding mpv logging, then attach the log.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:55 AM, sooty234 said:

To generate an mpv log, you need to make an mpv.conf and add logging to it. Be sure to name the log file you're making in the logging entry. Example: log-file="G:\mpv logs\Portable mpv log.txt"

dansblackcat
On 18/01/2021 at 04:08, jbl77 said:

You can try this?  This should stop emby from automatically updating to a newer version.

Open up an explorer window and navigate to c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater 

Rename MediaBrowser.Updater.exe to MediaBrowser.Updater.exe.old in the system folder.