FFmpeg source code

Veggav
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I see a few threads in the forum asking exactly the same without a definitive answer (or maybe my google skills are not that great). 

Can you please, share the ffmpeg code you have?

I'm interesting in finding out how you managed to support dolby vision in mkv files, since the latest ffmpeg isn't capable of it. 

Thank you in advance

• Solution

Hi, this development was done in our private fork of exoplayer for android, not in ffmpeg. i'm happy to share the ffmpeg source with you, but you won't find any dolby vision related changes in there.

oh that's too bad. 

I was hopping to help out with Kodi on android. 

And yes, I'm very familiar with that PR, read it several times, trying to adapt but I still can't.

Anyway, thanks Luke :)

Your best bet would be to find another ffmpeg-based video player that does support it and see what you can learn from their source, such as vlc or mpv (if they support it on android, which I don't know).

And even then, if I had to guess, I would think that most of the development will not be in ffmpeg anyway.

As of right now, only plex, emby and exoplayer support dolby vision from mkv. 

Plex uses ffmpeg and has some changes which are helpful to study but sadly, not enough.

Either way, thanks for receiving this request with open heart. 

@Veggav - I think you're probably misunderstanding a few things about Dolby Vision "support".

The changes in Exoplayer for Dolby Vision Support are about nothing more than making sure that the Dolby Vision side data from source streams will properly be forwarded to hardware decoders on Android devices, in case they are able to decode Dolby Vision (licensed by Dolby).
BTW, those changes to ExoPlayer were primarily contributed by Dolby itself...

There are some ongoing efforts in ffmpeg development to actually decode Dolby Vision side data. I don't know where it stands right now.

But please allow me the question: Assuming you would have Dolby Vision data parsed and decoded available inside ffmpeg - what would you want to do with it?

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

@Veggav - I think you're probably misunderstanding a few things about Dolby Vision "support".

The changes in Exoplayer for Dolby Vision Support are about nothing more than making sure that the Dolby Vision side data from source streams will properly be forwarded to hardware decoders on Android devices, in case they are able to decode Dolby Vision (licensed by Dolby).
BTW, those changes to ExoPlayer were primarily contributed by Dolby itself...

There are some ongoing efforts in ffmpeg development to actually decode Dolby Vision side data. I don't know where it stands right now.

But please allow me the question: Assuming you would have Dolby Vision data parsed and decoded available inside ffmpeg - what would you want to do with it?

I want to give support for mkv files with DV on Kodi.

Which I did https//forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349140

Ffmpeg can read the matroska additional block thankfully by a code in plex's ffmpeg.

I'm just fixing the if statement that will have any chance of being merged according to Kodi guidelines.