Watching stops

mrrroa

If I am transcoding 1080p x265 down to 480p 1Mbps the file will full convert on my ram disk (24GB space is not a problem).  No matter what I am watching around 7.5 minutes in the video will stop playing and stay on the last frame.  If I pause/play nothing will happen.  If I change the quality some times it will start again.  If I go back to the main menu and click play again I start back where I was for another ~7.5 minutes.  This started to happen the last 2-3 version.  Plex also runs on this server and can play the same file with zero problems.  I have attached the server log for a few moments b4 and right after the video stops.  This happens with or without throttling of transcoding.

Hardware is a NAS NFS mounted with 2Gbps feed.

Media server is  AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with tones of ram and more hardware than needed.

emb-stream-stops.txt

Q-Droid

Have you tried changing the transcoding temp directory to conventional storage as a test to see if it has something to do with the RAM disk?

4 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Have you tried changing the transcoding temp directory to conventional storage as a test to see if it has something to do with the RAM disk?

I have not since it is working fine with plex.  I am trying to look deeper into it and I will try that as well.   Both media servers use the same ram drive. Yet Emby has a problem with the same file. Emby also has a problem with smaller files that it never had a problem with before. As in I watched them before with zero problem now this time around it has a problem.  The stopping happens around 7-8 minutes always.  And if it happens one time in a file it happens always in a file.

I think the problem is in the conversion.  If I stream the same file I have a problem with as Auto and allow it to convert the file it works fine.  But if I set it at 480p or 720p 1Mbps no go.  I am trying to find what causes it.  The root seems to be 480p-720p and not allowing a 1080p to be played.  But to save power on a laptop I allow conversion.  I have tones of power in the server.  Even with Auto a transcode happens but is fine to play. 

Edited by mrrroa

Will do.  What I was planning todo was run test.  Restart the server so a clean logfile.  Start the test and then upload the 3 or 4 files I come up with.  I will try to get this done in the next 48 hours.

Okay I did two test that caused the problem.  This is not a all the time problem but can happen with 10 files and then not with some.  The times they died is about the time.  And it always seems to happen from 6min to b4 9min.   Let me know if I can do more.  The first small file I picked worked fine. But the next one after it did not.   I cleared the server log each time and did a start to try and limit the extra stuff in the log.

embyserver-large-file-died-7m40s.txt ffmpeg-transcode-899a9370-b078-4511-ab9a-ad0565a4cdca_1-large-file-died-7m40s.txt embyserver-smale-file-died-6m40s.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dc697c95-0f8c-479f-b728-0d658dba45ab_1-smale-file-died-6m40s.txt

Nope its 24GB and both files are under 2GB.  The small ones being 300-500MB and the big being 1.5GB.  And it is ECC ram.

I can try moving off it.  But again both problem files using the same ramdisk but different folder works with plex.  Now if I could find what triggers it.  Because I have throttle off it decodes all of the file.  I had it on before but wanted to test around that.  If the stop happens and I click back and play again it then plays for 7-8 min and will stop again. 

The reason for the ramdisk is I don't want to destroy my 2TB SSD mirror.  Granted I could buy a cheap SSD to destroy with that data. 

Edited by mrrroa

Transcode the large file:

360p No problem

480p 720kbps Problem

480p 1Mbps Problem

720p 1Mbps Problem

720p 1.5Mbps No problem

720p 2Mbps No problem

720p 4Mbps No problem 

Original  No Transcode No problem

24G  254M   24G   2% /mnt/ramdisk 360p

24G  1.1G   23G   5% /mnt/ramdisk 720kbps

24G  1.4G   23G   6% /mnt/ramdisk  2Mbps

Edited by mrrroa

18 hours ago, mrrroa said:

480p 720kbps Problem

480p 1Mbps Problem

720p 1Mbps Problem

Only transcoding at those rates.  If i jump it up to 720p 1.5Mbps no problem.  Or if I go lower than 480p down to 360p.  So why does transcoding at 1.5Mbps work and not 1Mbps is what I have come to.   This worked fine 3-5 versions ago.  Hard to say as its not every file and since US elections had been watching a lot less.  I didn't test all the lower rates or higher but I did test all I tested.

Edited by mrrroa

Transcoding at 1.5 is the temp solve.  But I wonder if this doesn't impact others and deeper.  If something is going on with encoding bitrates then this could cause a similar sounding audio streaming problem a family member is starting to talk about.  I will work on more info.  Can I run other video test for you?  I will also make sure to limit plex at the faulty rates to make 100% sure of where the problem is happening. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Luke said:

@mrrroa are you still having an issue with this?

Yes.  I have been trying to see if I can find a way to solve it but can't seem to yet. 

otispresley

I am having a very similar problem with NVENC decoding in a Docker container. I am also using a RAM disk, but that has no bearing on the issue. Software decoding works fine whether using the RAM disk or not. The problem occurs in the Chrome browser but not in Firefox. The problem also occurs in the Emby app on my Android phone and on my Fire tablet.

I have a friend with exactly the same setup who is having the same problem. His plays fine on his iPhone. He runs Plex in a Docker container sharing the same RAM disk, and Plex works fine using the same video card and same RAM disk, whereas Emby does not. Please let me know if further details are needed.

The host is Proxmox VE 6.3.1 with Docker version 20.10.2 running directly on the host. The server has 40 CPU cores, 256GB RAM and is running NVIDIA driver version 460.32.03. Note: I do not run Plex in my setup...only Emby. The container is created with the following (much of the evironment variable section is included in the image. The emby_transcode volume is the 60GB RAM Disk. I pulled the command from the running container.

docker run --name emby --runtime nvidia \
	-v emby_transcode:/transcode \
	-v emby_config:/config \
	-v /STORAGE/Media:/mnt/ZEUS/Media \
	--net host --restart unless-stopped \
	--expose 1900/udp --expose 7359/udp \
	--expose 8096/tcp --expose 8920/tcp \
	-l maintainer='Emby LLC <apps@emby.media>' \
	-e 'UID=1001' -e 'GID=1001' \
	-e 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8' -e 'HOME=/tmp' \
	-e 'FONTCONFIG_PATH=/etc/fonts' \
	-e 'SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt' \
	-e 'GIDLIST=1001' \
	-e 'PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin' \
	-e 'AMDGPU_IDS=/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids' \
	-e 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/system' \
	-e 'LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/lib/dri' \
	-e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all' \
	-e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES=compute,video,utility' \
	-d --entrypoint "/init" emby/embyserver:latest

These are logs from this issue. The [q] command was received when I pressed the back button after the video froze.

ffmpeg-transcode-1a19283f-e37e-4886-8201-80046ed8a9b6_1.txt

Edited by otispresley

2 hours ago, otispresley said:

I am having a very similar problem with NVENC decoding in a Docker container. I am also using a RAM disk, but that has no bearing on the issue. Software decoding works fine whether using the RAM disk or not. The problem occurs in the Chrome browser but not in Firefox. The problem also occurs on my Android phone and on my Fire tablet.

I have a friend with exactly the same setup who is having the same problem. His plays fine on his iPhone. He runs Plex in a Docker container sharing the same RAM disk, and Plex works fine using the same video card and same RAM disk, whereas Emby does not. Please let me know if further details are needed.

The host is Proxmox VE 6.3.1 with Docker version 20.10.2 running directly on the host. The server has 40 CPU cores, 256GB RAM and is running NVIDIA driver version 460.32.03. Note: I do not run Plex in my setup...only Emby. The container is created with the following (much of the evironment variable section is included in the image. The emby_transcode volume is the 60GB RAM Disk. I pulled the command from the running container.

docker run --name emby --runtime nvidia \
	-v emby_transcode:/transcode \
	-v emby_config:/config \
	-v /STORAGE/Media:/mnt/ZEUS/Media \
	--net host --restart unless-stopped \
	--expose 1900/udp --expose 7359/udp \
	--expose 8096/tcp --expose 8920/tcp \
	-l maintainer='Emby LLC <apps@emby.media>' \
	-e 'UID=1001' -e 'GID=1001' \
	-e 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8' -e 'HOME=/tmp' \
	-e 'FONTCONFIG_PATH=/etc/fonts' \
	-e 'SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt' \
	-e 'GIDLIST=1001' \
	-e 'PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin' \
	-e 'AMDGPU_IDS=/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids' \
	-e 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/system' \
	-e 'LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/lib/dri' \
	-e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all' \
	-e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES=compute,video,utility' \
	-d --entrypoint "/init" emby/embyserver:latest

These are logs from this issue. The [q] command was received when I pressed the back button after the video froze.

ffmpeg-transcode-1a19283f-e37e-4886-8201-80046ed8a9b6_1.txt 41.48 kB · 0 downloads

That is very interesting.  I will test with brave.  I only see this problem in the browser and didn't think it was chrome since it is fine with higher and lower bitrates.  Firefox is a hard pass for me.   

otispresley
6 hours ago, mrrroa said:

That is very interesting.  I will test with brave.  I only see this problem in the browser and didn't think it was chrome since it is fine with higher and lower bitrates.  Firefox is a hard pass for me.   

Yeah, I only installed Firefox to test it out because my friend who has the same problem had said it worked fine in Firefox but not in Chrome. The Emby app on my Android phone and Fire HD10 also have the same problem.

Edited by otispresley

5 hours ago, otispresley said:

Yeah, I only installed Firefox to test it out because my friend who has the same problem had said it worked fine in Firefox but not in Chrome. The Emby app on my Android phone and Fire HD10 also have the same problem.

So did you see where if I change the bitrate to higher or lower it seems to solve it? Does that happen with your problem's as well?