Blue Screen when Playing Certain Video on Emby Theater 3.0.11-3.0.13

Max Overdrive

Max Overdrive

I have a series of videos that don't seem to be playing correctly on Emby Theater (the Windows desktop version) from versions 3.0.11-3.0.13. My wife's laptop was still running 3.0.10 and the video seemed to play fine on that computer. I then updated her system to 3.0.13 to see if I could narrow the problem down to the player, and the video then stopped working with the same behaviour as the other client systems running 3.0.13.

I've provided the video info in an image below. Just wondering if this is a known issue or if it's something I can get some help with. Please let me know if any additional info is needed.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.f136b206090295687278d7b70c850097.png

Max Overdrive

So I've further narrowed this down to impacting HDR content only. I've also tested on multiple client machines on my network, and all Windows machines display the same behaviour (a sort of gradient blue screen where the video should be, audio is fine). All Windows machines are running Emby Theater 3.0.13. Android devices on the same network seem to be unaffected.

Could this be related to the server update that just happened? All this content was fine yesterday, but seems not to be working today. Or maybe some combination of updates to Theater and the server? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Quick edit: Just wanted to add that all HDR videos are affected, and non-HDR content is not. Windows HDR is turned on one Windows machine, but not on the other two -- and both still display the same behaviour.

Edited by Max Overdrive

as of this morning 20th dec we have the same problem  all worked ok yesterday  but now we get a blue screen  when we try to play 4k  hevc   4k x264 works ok 

Max Overdrive

Thanks for posting @gaffa67. Can confirm that this seems to be HDR HEVC-specific. Possibly related to this line in the 4.5.4 server patch notes?

• Fix Nvidia HEVC level detection

@gaffa67 Can you confirm that this is only happening with your HEVC HDR content and not HEVC non-HDR?

its looking that way  any 4k disk rips  dont play  but have some  4k 007 rips  not from disk  and they are ok  anything that x265  /hevc  and not 4k  is also ok 

Max Overdrive

HDR is turned on on one machine, but off on two others. All three have the issue. Turning HDR off in Windows also does not resolve the issue.

Disturbd1

Came here to post this. Same issue. 4K video only. I can play 1080p or lower res just fine. Thought I was losing my mind because it happened in the middle of watching a 4K file, actually. Tried everything from reinstalling my graphics drivers to Emby Theater itself. HDR is not enabled in Windows for me because the TV I'm connected to at present doesn't support it. 4K video displays a full blue screen, audio plays in the background fine. Confirmed from the dashboard that it is directplay, not transcoding.

Can you go into the app's video settings and set the video renderer to gpu? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Disturbd1
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you go into the app's video settings and set the video renderer to gpu? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Confirmed updating Video>Video Output to "gpu" worked for me as well.

Max Overdrive

This setting is actually found in the Emby Theater app itself. Go to the settings in the app (by clicking on the little person icon in the top right), then Video, then Video Output. Set to "gpu". I'm using the desktop Windows version, not sure if it's different in the Windows Store version.

A fix for this has just landed in mpv and we'll be getting an update out shortly that includes it. Thanks for the feedback.

Max Overdrive

Thanks for the info Luke. Looking forward to the update.

In case it helps anyone who finds this thread in the meantime, I've found that switching to the 'gpu' option only helps for a while... if you then get Emby Theater constantly just spinning/loading again, switch back to 'Auto' and then back to 'gpu' again. It'll help for a day or two until you need to do it again (YMMV of course). Will at least get you up and running until the update drops.

Edited by Max Overdrive

On 12/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, Luke said:

3.0.14 has been released so you shouldn't need this workaround anymore.

Except now I am getting jittering from dropped frames that I never got before...

On 1/4/2021 at 12:21 AM, jbl77 said:

Except now I am getting jittering from dropped frames that I never got before...

In the app settings try setting the video renderer to gpu and see if that helps. thanks.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, Luke said:

In the app settings try setting the video renderer to gpu and see if that helps. thanks.

Same thing.  Dropping 6-7 fps.  Use to be smooth as butter.