Metadata Manager (nfo files cannot process ampersand character)

ddp

Hi,

I have some content that I have created a script to take metadata from an existing mythtv setup and create nfo files and then use this in Emby.  I have found that when (at least) the title contains an ampersand, e.g.

'Why We Hate: Tools & Tactics'

Then the Metadata Manager will not use this as the title, and instead will use the filename.

I have tweaked my script to change the '&' to 'and'.  This has caused all the metadata to now be correct in Emby.  If it helps, sample nfo file:

<movie>
<title>Why We Hate: Tools & Tactics</title>
<plot>If we all have the capacity to hate, what does it take to awaken our worst tendencies? Journalist and author Jelani Cobb investigates how 'hate tools' like propaganda, dehumanisation, the internet, symbols, and more can incite, amplify and spread hatred.</plot>
<date>2020-12-08 11:58:00</date>
</movie>

Hi, yes the xml parsing is probably failing. This could be resolved by using a cdata element in the nfo file.

Happy2Play

Don't know anything about this but Emby writes it this way.

<title>Tools &amp; Tactics</title>

I don't believe Emby used <date> either.

Written by Emby

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<movie>
  <plot><![CDATA[If we all have the capacity to hate, what does it take to awaken our worst tendencies? Journalist and author Jelani Cobb investigates how 'hate tools' like propaganda, dehumanisation, the internet, symbols, and more can incite, amplify and spread hatred.]]></plot>
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2020-12-17 16:56:24</dateadded>
  <title>Why We Hate Tools &amp; Tactics</title>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails />
  </fileinfo>
</movie>

• 11 months later...

Thanks for posting this, I'm in the process of migrating from PleX and couldn't figure out what was going on.  Using &amp; fixes it.