AV1 support

xp-1000

On 10/1/2021 at 3:20 PM, elpoolet said:

Sure it's sufficient, but I guessed if it's possible to deal with some priority eg

- If I'm on LAN on WebBrowser, VP9 with high bitrate, then H264 with high bitrate, then VP9 low BR... etc

- If I'm on WAN on WebBrowser, VP9 low bitrate, h264 low birate, VP9 high bitrate.... then transcode

- If I'm on TV , 4k AV1, then 4k vp9, then 4k hevc, then 1080p vp9....

Yes I'm trying to avoid transcoding "on the fly". When I got a media wich requires transcoding, I re-encode it with VP9 codec wich is the most compatible and efficient (quality/bitrate ratio) but requires LOOOOOT of time !

Are you saying there is a case now where it transcodes when it could otherwise direct play a different version?

elpoolet
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you saying there is a case now where it transcodes when it could otherwise direct play a different version?

Yes. 

Sometimes especially when I'm on WAN, If I have 2 versions : h264 8Mbps and vp9 2Mbps, the selected version is h264 and if the auto-quality determined a bandwith aroud 3 Mbps, there's a transcoding of the h264 version even if the vp9 one would play without transcoding.

I hope I'm clear.

Edited by elpoolet

On 10/5/2021 at 2:44 PM, elpoolet said:

Yes. 

Sometimes especially when I'm on WAN, If I have 2 versions : h264 8Mbps and vp9 2Mbps, the selected version is h264 and if the auto-quality determined a bandwith aroud 3 Mbps, there's a transcoding of the h264 version even if the vp9 one would play without transcoding.

I hope I'm clear.

Can you zip up the vp9 file and attach it here? That should not happen. Is this in the web app?

3 hours ago, elpoolet said:

@luke

And as a plus, I use Chrome 94 as a browser.

OK we'd have to look at the ffmpeg log because I tested and it worked as expected. I set the quality setting to 3 mbps, and it picked the vp9 file.

elpoolet

Hi @Luke

Thanks for you answer. I encoded the video with VP9 at 1Mbps, and then it picked the vp9 file when playing and the bandwidth is at 2Mbps.

Thanks