AV1 support

xp-1000

Florian2000
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So the browser can not play the media if it wants to open VLC would be my understanding.

correct. Firefox doesn't support mkv natively. transcoding is needed.

Florian2000

so my findings are:

a) Exoplayer on my Android-Mobile uses DirectPlay no transcoding needed but it is absolutely jerky <-- no option at all

b) Exoplayer on my FireTV uses Transcode <-- playback is just smooth and fine

c) if I use external apps on my mobile to open up within emby  (e.g. VLC or Kodi) playback is just fine...

What causes that behavior? Any way to tell Exoplayer on my mobile not to use DirectPlay which is causing the jerky playback? Or is the Exoplayer just buggy in the handling of mkv files? VLC has no problem at all with these formats.

Thank you!

Br, Florian

Edited by Florian2000
info-update

Hi, it could be that the Emby app is attempting to use hardware decoding, and it's your device's hardware decoding that is actually what is buggy. And then Vlc could be using software decoding.

Or of course, vice versa. It could also be the other way around.

Florian2000
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it could be that the Emby app is attempting to use hardware decoding, and it's your device's hardware decoding that is actually what is buggy. And then Vlc could be using software decoding.

Or of course, vice versa. It could also be the other way around.

is there any way to configure exoplayer a little bit so that I have at least an option to not use directplay?

Florian2000
On 3/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, Luke said:

Nothing obvious here. Can you provide a sample video for testing?

anything you could find out?

For android devices that don't support av1 we embed a software decoder for it. We're going to switch to a different one that may perform a little bit better on android.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
xp-1000

Hello @Luke

Do you have an estimated time for the availability of av1 support from the webapp? direct streaming from web browser was the main advantage of AV1 over HEVC so if it still not work in emby I can reencode my AV1 files to HEVC waiting for this feature availbability.

I did not see this improvement in releases notes and it still requires transcoding en my firefox 87 with emby 4.5.4.
Of course, I am still able to play without transcoding same av1 test files (mp4, mkv ..) on my firefox with jellyfin.

thank for the update

xp-1000

Helo @Luke

thank you very much, if it is 4.6 release and it comes soon I will be patient so and avoid to run lot of encoding  :)

good job thanks

xp-1000

@Luke for your information I just tested from http://app.emby.media and I got exactly the same result than when I reported this issue here:

- if transcoding is forbidden for the user : playback error -> No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

- if transcoding is allowed for the user: it does not direct stream it ->

image.png.8aba3d61bcc96c80ef545745ab525c33.png

I hope it will work for 4.6, I can keep AV1 files until this release to test.

please tell me if I can help you.

If it's failing when restricting access to transcoding then the browser is throwing an error and doesn't support it. Nothing we can do there. 

7 hours ago, xp-1000 said:

- if transcoding is forbidden for the user : playback error -> No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

- if transcoding is allowed for the user: it does not direct stream it ->

If the file can't direct play or direct stream and needs to transcode but you have this turned off it has no choice but to fail as you deprived Emby from Transcoding it.
Enabling Transcoding is only a permission for transcoding and does not affect direct streaming or direct playing.

Direct play is what you want to achieve whenever possible but this depends on YOUR devices and HOW you prepare your media.

If something can't be direct played because the container isn't supported or maybe the device can't play the audio tract then emby can direct stream it which essentially is keeping the video as is but changing other things which isn't too CPU intensive.

If neither of those things can be done Emby has to give up or can transcode the media which is basically converting the file on the fly to a format the device or app can use.

• 5 months later...
elpoolet

Hi all

I spotted this topic cause I'm using Emby 4.6.4.0 and I'm unable to play AV1 videos on Chrome 94.0 but works on Firefox 92.0.1unless it's said on http://www.caniuse.com   (here https://caniuse.com/?search=AV1 ) that it's supported.

I join here the full logs.

If someone can explain me why it won't play directly I'll be glad to modify what I missed or misconfigured.

Many many thanks in advance (and sorry for any english mistakes)

playback_AV1_logs.7z

17 minutes ago, elpoolet said:

Hi all

I spotted this topic cause I'm using Emby 4.6.4.0 and I'm unable to play AV1 videos on Chrome 94.0 but works on Firefox 92.0.1unless it's said on http://www.caniuse.com   (here https://caniuse.com/?search=AV1 ) that it's supported.

I join here the full logs.

If someone can explain me why it won't play directly I'll be glad to modify what I missed or misconfigured.

Many many thanks in advance (and sorry for any english mistakes)

playback_AV1_logs.7z 36.85 kB · 0 downloads

I don't remember the reasoning, but caniuse is inaccurate for av1 and chrome. I looked into this several months ago and I remember the outcome but not the specifics. I think its' either limited to specific platforms or requires enabling a config flag. In any event, the web app checks for av1 support and it will just work when it is available.

elpoolet

Hi @Luke and thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately I looked for enabling AV1 support in chrome, and the only things I found are for older versions ( <90 ).

I tried with Edge and the result is the same.

The only way I found to play AV1 videos with WebPlayer is to use Firefox but this one is not compatible with .mkv  😭

Is there a feature that won't transcode but choose another version of the same media to test playing without transcoding eg

I choose to play the video : Ocean in ULTRA HD - Sea Animals for Relaxation

I have 3 versions of this one.

• 4k AV1
  • 4k vp9
  • 1080p vp9

If I choose version "4k AV1" to play and unfortunately it requires transcoding, it tries the version "4k vp9", if transcoding is required, then trying version "1080p vp9" ?

It would be a GREAT feature specially for people like me that uses emby as the only media center source but have several playing devices : Smart TV, Laptop (with web player), smartphone....

again, many thanks for your help and your reactivty

35 minutes ago, elpoolet said:

Hi @Luke and thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately I looked for enabling AV1 support in chrome, and the only things I found are for older versions ( <90 ).

I tried with Edge and the result is the same.

The only way I found to play AV1 videos with WebPlayer is to use Firefox but this one is not compatible with .mkv  😭

Is there a feature that won't transcode but choose another version of the same media to test playing without transcoding eg

I choose to play the video : Ocean in ULTRA HD - Sea Animals for Relaxation

I have 3 versions of this one.

• 4k AV1
  • 4k vp9
  • 1080p vp9

If I choose version "4k AV1" to play and unfortunately it requires transcoding, it tries the version "4k vp9", if transcoding is required, then trying version "1080p vp9" ?

It would be a GREAT feature specially for people like me that uses emby as the only media center source but have several playing devices : Smart TV, Laptop (with web player), smartphone....

again, many thanks for your help and your reactivty

The version selection will already try to pick the one that is most efficient and does not require transcoding, so there's nothing you need to do to enable that.

elpoolet
24 minutes ago, Luke said:

The version selection will already try to pick the one that is most efficient and does not require transcoding, so there's nothing you need to do to enable that.

On the version selection screen right ?

20 hours ago, elpoolet said:

Is there a way to priorityze some versions ?

Is the automatic selection not sufficient? You're trying to avoid transcoding, right?

elpoolet
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Is the automatic selection not sufficient? You're trying to avoid transcoding, right?

Sure it's sufficient, but I guessed if it's possible to deal with some priority eg

- If I'm on LAN on WebBrowser, VP9 with high bitrate, then H264 with high bitrate, then VP9 low BR... etc

- If I'm on WAN on WebBrowser, VP9 low bitrate, h264 low birate, VP9 high bitrate.... then transcode

- If I'm on TV , 4k AV1, then 4k vp9, then 4k hevc, then 1080p vp9....

Yes I'm trying to avoid transcoding "on the fly". When I got a media wich requires transcoding, I re-encode it with VP9 codec wich is the most compatible and efficient (quality/bitrate ratio) but requires LOOOOOT of time !