AV1 support

xp-1000

Hello,

AV1 is supported by the recent versions of all main browsers: https://caniuse.com/av1

However, I can't manage to play an AV1 video from emby web, I get the exact same error "no compatible stream" as when I try to play HEVC file (which is not compatible with browsers).

If I enable transcoding it will works transcoding to h264.

In my understanding emby does not try to direct play the AV1 file but is is only empirical thoughs:

- if I disable both video transcoding options (with and without reencode) it directly fail with previous reported error without to attempt anything or spawn ffmpeg process.
- If I enable only transcoding without reencode it leads to the same error even if it first tries ffmpeg and show a black screen 3 times before (with request including DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false in logs).

Also I know my browser can play AV1 videos from other sources than emby.

As a result I suppose it could simply miss the `video/webm; codecs="av1"` profile in the emby web app (canPlayType) but I confess I do not know how to check this for sure.

Maybe someone can confirm this ? or better give the documentation or reference to check it myself ?

Or if anybody successfully play av1 video from emby 4.5.3 webui it could indicate the problem comes from my config (but I tested a fresh install of emby so I hope it is not the case).

Edited by xp-1000

thanks for prompt anwer,

I tested firefox 83 and chromium 87.0.4280.88

Here are logs from before play start button and after the error appears

I think all other information requested in your doc are available in my previous answer.

feel free to move this to https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/115-emby-server/ as admin but if my supposition is correct it is related to emby web app.

please tell me if I forgot something

emby.txt

hello @Luke

yes, as I said above, it will work if I enable transcoding but this is a workaround, not a fix.

if your client is compatible with the stream it is less efficient to transcode instead of direct play. Here the client is firefox, chrome.. and the video stream av1, it does not work just because emby does not try.

emby web should add support for `video/webm; codecs="av1"` profile to allow compatible browsers to direct play AV1 videos as all other platforms already do (like youtube).

Just now, xp-1000 said:

emby web should add support for `video/webm; codecs="av1"` profile to allow compatible browsers to direct play AV1 videos as all other platforms already do (like youtube).

We already do. If you restricted access to transcoding and still got that error, it means we tried to direct play it but the browser video player raised an error.

thanks for the answer @Luke

ok so I guess wrong, I did not think it tried to play it and so I was pretty sure emby web just not have the right profile.

that said I tested multiple different AV1 videos, all work on my browsers (firefox, chrome) except from emby.

I confess I am not sure where is the problem but what I know is it only affect emby and my setup works fine with AV1.

Please could you share an AV1 video and a browser it works with emby ?

On 12/25/2020 at 3:45 AM, Luke said:

Hi @xp-1000 what exactly is this?

You asked me :

On 12/20/2020 at 11:05 PM, Luke said:

do you have a sample video for testing? thanks.

here it is: https://1fichier.com/?xeb9a3ivrs98rsjrv7i0

a true and full AV1 video file I tested in all situations which work on my web browser through all web applications except for emby

9 hours ago, Luke said:

https://tools.woolyss.com/html5-audio-video-tester/

This is a live test in your browser. the first two lines need to be green in order for av1 to be supported.

both work fine (and are green)

@Luke I thank you for your answers but you continue to make suggestions and ask questions about things I already answered in my first post without to answer to mine.

I continue to think emby does not support AV1 for direct play on webui and it would be nice to take this in consideration and may be provide detail / proof about this support.

I try to resume because I understand you are busy and I suppose you don't read the the previous answers of this thread:
- my web browser support AV1 (like any recent web browser)
- AV1 video can play on this web browser from different applications EXCEPT emby
- for emby it works obvisouly with transcoding but the point here is it does not work in direct play
- I provided logs which show emby does not try to direct play at all the video
- my suggestion from the beginning is emby webui does not support AV1 in profile which deny emby to try direct play with AV1 (and so end to a fail if transcoding is not enabled).
- for now I did not see any proof around the forum which garantee emby webui is capable of direct play AV1 even you seem sure the problem comes from the client/user.

please could you check from your side for true ? or at least provide me the documentation or code which give the exhaustive list of codecs/formats supported by emby webui ?

pir8radio
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Yup. It's supported in firefox.

yea I was just pointing out that he said it should be supported in all newer browsers,  and the link he posted said it "should" be supported in my version of chrome, but the test says its not supported.   

Yea I see the same as well. I think there are certain conditions required for Chrome to activate it's built-in support, but I'm not sure what they are yet.

xp-1000

Yes I confess I tested on firefox only and I supposed it is the same for chrome.

in any case, AV1 direct play works on jellyfin/firefox and not on emby/firefox

• 2 months later...
Florian2000

Hi,

is this already solved?

I'm wondering why the container mkv is not supported with AV1 in firefox/chrome/edge...anything I missed to configure?

grafik.thumb.png.33c447f1d0d359a119b3d7fa60d29a7c.png

Thank you!

Br, Florian

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, Florian2000 said:

Hi,

is this already solved?

I'm wondering why the container mkv is not supported with AV1 in firefox/chrome/edge...anything I missed to configure?

grafik.thumb.png.33c447f1d0d359a119b3d7fa60d29a7c.png

Thank you!

Br, Florian

And what happens when you drag/open that file directly in your browser?  Does any browser natively support a mkv?

Florian2000
On 3/24/2021 at 2:47 AM, Happy2Play said:

And what happens when you drag/open that file directly in your browser?  Does any browser natively support a mkv?

Firefox wants to open up VLC 😉

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Florian2000 said:

Firefox wants to open up VLC 😉

So the browser can not play the media if it wants to open VLC would be my understanding.

Florian2000
On 3/24/2021 at 2:57 AM, Luke said:

Firefox does not support mkv.

ok, so transcoding is unavoidable...if I don't like to convert everything.

What leads me to the next question: while transcoding of the mkv works fine within web video player on my computer. on my android phone with the exoplayer the video playback is quity jerky... <-- what causes this behavior?