Emby doesn't render RAW files

Hasami

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to view my photo archive using Emby Server, but it doesn't want to generate thumbnails or display most Nikon NEF, Canon CR2 or Fuji RAF files. Emby still renders some of RAW files from the very top of the thumbnail list if I go directly to «all photos» (where it shows the total number of 66091 photos) and try to look through the top ones. Emby fails to generate thumbnails for some of them, showing black boxes instead. A click on such a black box takes about 8 seconds for a photo to show. Photos from specific folders don't render at all. No problems with JPEG or playing video.

Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz, 12 Gb RAM, 128 Mb SSD, 2x 2 Tb Seagate Skyhawk.

Software: TrueNAS-12.0-U1, Emby 4.5.2.0 (installed as a community plugin).

66091 photos, mostly RAW.

I've attached a log file.

Is there a way to force Emby to pre-generate thumbnails and maybe extract at least built-in JPEGs from RAW files? «Scan media library» doesn't do the trick.

Any help is appreciated!

embyserver.txt

Edited by Hasami
mistype

Baenwort

it used to be possible to get Emby to use libraw to do this but that was broken several years ago and I haven't had any luck getting them to support large photo libraries: 

And because I gave up at once point and just wanted to ignore the raw files:

What's happening here is that whoever is packaging this TrueNAS community plugin is missing a number of things, including an image processing library, so the server is not able to convert the images into compatible formats for display.

Baenwort
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What's happening here is that whoever is packaging this TrueNAS community plugin is missing a number of things, including an image processing library, so the server is not able to convert the images into compatible formats for display.

Which ones are missing? I'm going to be fixing the motioneyeOS plug in next week while I am on vacation and I can throw in adding packages to the Emby plugin if you have a list?

We use SkiaSharp or ImageMagick 6.9.X for image processing. Skia preferred when possible. Is this different from the regular FreeNAS repository?

Baenwort

Yes, a community plug in is maintained by any community member who is willing to validate and pull on github.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/pitching-in-to-help-with-a-community-plugin.89477/post-620093

The one he is talking about using is the community one as TrueNAS has dropped Emby as a official plug in (only PLEX now) 

image.thumb.png.f5bf1aef227025b38644dfee420604dc.png

So someone (maybe me, maybe someone at Emby) needs to update the .json at https://github.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index/ to be accurate.

@makarai did the last update.

Edited by Baenwort

Baenwort

Depends on what you mean by 'up to date'?

If you mean that what ever version is in the FreeBSD repository is installed and is what TrueNAS uses? A: TrueNAS when installing plug ins pulls latest version in pkg repo

If you mean that no maintenance needs to be done? A: False, Someone will have to update the plug-in to new RELEASE versions so the jail is created to the correct version and when Emby moves from 12.1 to 12.2 someone will have to update the plug in so that Emby updates. Otherwise, if the package calls for release version 12.2 and the plug in hasn't been moved to 12.2 it will not update.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok so just to confirm, being up to date in the freenas repository does not apply to truenas?

The FreeNAS repo being up to date would be beneficial for those installing through the shell. 

What's happening here is with the TrueNAS plugin, which is either maintained by the TrueNAS team (official) or by a community member (community). These plugins are for install through the GUI and goes through all steps needed including creating the jail. 

The average user would use plugin install, the power user or more techy user would use the shell.