Firestick Lite transcoding HEVC

duojet

1 hour ago, Natividade said:

Any progress on this? I'm seeing the same kind of thing

Hi.  I'm still looking for this information to continue troubleshooting.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:12 AM, ebr said:

Can you put your server logging in debug mode, restart the server, and then play that same item for just a few seconds and post the server log?

Natividade
On 25/12/2020 at 21:19, ebr said:

Hi.  I'm still looking for this information to continue troubleshooting.

Sure! It's at my mother in law's but will try and get them to play a file tomorrow to generate the log. The reason I think it's due to 10bit is because an 8bit HEVC file direct played fine (I don't have many of those though so can't fully confirm), but 10bit files are transcoding. It seems like that's what the OP is experiencing too, and I get the feeling they mixed up a couple of pictures in the 'does transcode' and 'doesn't transcode' list they sent here

I'll sort a log out for you soon though just to be sure :)

20 hours ago, Natividade said:

Sure! It's at my mother in law's but will try and get them to play a file tomorrow to generate the log. The reason I think it's due to 10bit is because an 8bit HEVC file direct played fine (I don't have many of those though so can't fully confirm), but 10bit files are transcoding. It seems like that's what the OP is experiencing too, and I get the feeling they mixed up a couple of pictures in the 'does transcode' and 'doesn't transcode' list they sent here

I'll sort a log out for you soon though just to be sure :)

Yes, that would match the transcode reason being reported.  If the device doesn't support 10bit HEVC then we would transcode with a reason of video profile not supported.

• 1 month later...
SilentAssassin

Is there any further progress on this?

I bought a Fire Stick Lite to ”upgrade“ a Samsung TV which ran Orsay. I have noticed that some HEVC videos will direct stream and others will transcode, just like has been detailed in this thread.

Looking on the supported codec and profiles for the Fire Stick Lite (and 3rd gen Fire Stick) it would seem it supports 10bit HEVC.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-stick.html?v=ftvsticklite

From this link it would seem that the newer ones support 10bit, whereas the older ones don't. Is is that all Fire Sticks are being treated the same?

Edited by SilentAssassin
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

that all Fire Sticks are being treated the same?

No, we query the device.  I think perhaps it is the profile "level" here.  Can you look at the ones that transcode vs the ones that don't and note the profile level?

SilentAssassin

This one didn't transcode.

image.png.b35af79e65f5adcb6ccf4a49508eef6a.png

This one did.

image.png.b833eedab7815eb5d4bb3b1ddf2d45bd.png

As you can see both are Level 120, the only real difference is one is 8bit and other 10bit.

57 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

Just sent, the user is HTPC. I played The 100 S07E13.

That log doesn't have any playback.  Did you play the item for just a few seconds and then immediately send the log?

Yeah, our check is coming back not supported...

02-11 07:20:14.413  2190  2190 I System.out: *** Does NOT support HEVC 10 bit

If you want to jump on the beta, PM me your Amazon region and you can be a guinea pig and see if trying to decode on the device in software is possible...

Actually, never mind. I just tested with my Fire stick and it cannot handle HEVC decode in software.

SilentAssassin
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Yeah, our check is coming back not supported...

02-11 07:20:14.413  2190  2190 I System.out: *** Does NOT support HEVC 10 bit

But it states on the developer page for the lite and 3rd gen that it supports 10 bit.

So where is the issue here? Is it the fire stick not correctly reporting what it supports? Is that an Amazon issue?

Hi. I'm not sure. There are also different profiles within so it may be related to that. 

Do you know how to side load on the device?

SilentAssassin
Just now, ebr said:

Hi. I'm not sure. There are also different profiles within so it may be related to that. 

Do you know how to side load on the device?

Yes, I'll be able to manage that.

23 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

Yes, I'll be able to manage that.

Okay, I'll try to get you a test version in the next couple days just to try something out.  Thanks.

SilentAssassin
On 12/02/2021 at 20:28, ebr said:

Okay, I'll try to get you a test version in the next couple days just to try something out.  Thanks.

Cheers.

Not sure how relevant it is but I installed VLC on the Firestick and it played the files.

Edited by SilentAssassin
  • Thanks 1

Napsterbater

Was anything changed in the public beta regarding this yet? Anecdotal evidence seem to suggest, HVEC is now playing natively on my firesticks where before they transcode.

39 minutes ago, Napsterbater said:

Was anything changed in the public beta regarding this yet? Anecdotal evidence seem to suggest, HVEC is now playing natively on my firesticks where before they transcode.

No...

SilentAssassin
On 17/02/2021 at 22:51, ebr said:

I'll try and get you a test by the weekend.  Thanks.

I'm still available to test.

16 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

I'm still available to test.

I'll stick the change I was contemplating in the next public beta.  Thanks.

Actually, that change is irrelevant now in the current beta.  Have you tested with it?

SilentAssassin
3 hours ago, ebr said:

I'll stick the change I was contemplating in the next public beta.  Thanks.

Actually, that change is irrelevant now in the current beta.  Have you tested with it?

I don't have access to the Amazon beta. I downloaded the Google Android TV beta but it wouldn't install, not sure if that is because it is for Android TV, didn't have much time to play around too much.

SilentAssassin
On 24/02/2021 at 18:35, SilentAssassin said:

I don't have access to the Amazon beta. I downloaded the Google Android TV beta but it wouldn't install, not sure if that is because it is for Android TV, didn't have much time to play around too much.

Just installed the app you supplied and initial testing it plays back the 10bit files without tranacoding now. 

• Thanks 1