Firestick Lite transcoding HEVC

duojet

On 9/24/2021 at 10:21 PM, Napsterbater said:

The video itself played fine at correct frame rate nothing wrong with a video playback itself.

But the actual scrolling through the menu getting to the show and basically everything before playback was noticeably slower and just had not a smooth feeling and just like a bit wacky is all I can describe, But pretty much all interactions with the menu were that way.

But again the video itself which is the main purpose of this post of course played perfectly fine smooth and direct played.

Basically the Amazon beta has a smooth menu and UI, But is not direct playing these main 10 HEVC videos. The Android side load has a laggy menu but plays the videos perfectly and direct plays them.

Can you please try this and see if the user interface performs a little better:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

Thanks.

Napsterbater
2 hours ago, Luke said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

Thanks.

It is much better. There's a few hitches here and there but very usable.

And just like the other Android version it direct plays the videos just fine.

1 hour ago, Napsterbater said:

It is much better. There's a few hitches here and there but very usable.

And just like the other Android version it direct plays the videos just fine.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello community, my fire tv lite started transcoding HEVC videos before it didn't happen, I installed a new server to test and the trasncode keeps happening. In the test I used the amazon store app, the amazon beta app, and the app available here in the post, only this one ran hevc without a problem. 

image.png

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-20e5cee6-5662-481d-8db0-e045ffa605d0_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-fa6821a9-94fe-4843-8028-1ff6685fddc8_1.txt

GrimReaper

Which Fire device flavor is that? As both transcodes show you playing 10-bit HEVC, and AFAIK not all Fire devices support that. 

Edit: Disregard, just checked device specs. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Which Fire device flavor is that? As both transcodes show you playing 10-bit HEVC, and AFAIK not all Fire devices support that. 

Edit: Disregard, just checked device specs. 

Video codecs
  • H.265 (HEVC). Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 60fps, 20 Mbps, Main 10 Profile Level 4.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG.
  • H.264. Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 60fps, High Profile up to Level 4.
  • H.263. Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 30fps, 6 Mbps, Profile 0 Level 70, non-secure
  • VP8. Supported up to 1080p 30fps. Baseline profile, non-secure
  • VP9. Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 60fps, Profile 2 up to 20 Mbps
  • MPEG-2. Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 60fps, non-secure
  • MPEG-4. Up to 1080p @ 30fps, Simple and Advanced Simple Profiles Level 5, non-secure
  •  

Device Specifications: Fire TV Streaming Media Player | Amazon Fire TV

On 10/5/2021 at 5:50 PM, Luke said:

Thanks.

in this app works without problem.In MMC also works perfectly

Napsterbater

Mine is still doing it as well. And it does support the profile, as proven with the Android Apk side loaded.

I don't think there's been any changes to the app yet to attempt to fix this just yet.

35 minutes ago, Napsterbater said:

I don't think there's been any changes to the app yet to attempt to fix this just yet.

Hi.  That is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Napsterbater said:

Any update?

Sorry, not yet.  The standard Android app should understand this profile however.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Sorry, not yet.  The standard Android app should understand this profile however.

the app versao 3.2 It works great but it only plays for a minute, I bought onapp on fire tv and I have it on my mi stick is there any way to use any of the license?Screenshot_2021-11-01-18-32-16-405_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.b67d7644bf0be8d161579a184e38ea6a.jpg

Screenshot_2021-11-01-18-36-55-266_com.mb.android.jpg

Napsterbater
5 hours ago, ebr said:

It indeed does, But a few certain tasks are not as quick and ideal on it versus the Amazon app such as switching users, and the menu performance is not quite as snappy as the Amazon app.

37 minutes ago, kstilho said:

is there any way to use any of the license?

Sorry, no as they are all separate stores and apps at this point.  Emby Premiere would give you all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Napsterbater said:

Has there been any progress on this? Is a solution known yet and just not implemented yet or...?

Hi.  You can use the standard app for this specific media on this device at this time.

• 4 weeks later...
francescoc

@ebr The issue is still present. Unfortunately for me sideloading the standard Android app results in the movie not being played at all (stuck with the rotating icon when pressing play), while using the Fire TV app works but transcodes. This is a rather major bug for a major platform that has been reported more than a year ago now... I mean come on...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, francescoc said:

sideloading the standard Android app results in the movie not being played at all (stuck with the rotating icon when pressing play)

Hi.  Can we please look at specifics of that situation?

francescoc
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can we please look at specifics of that situation?

I have to be honest, and do not take this the wrong way, but I have no intention of doing the legwork to report a problem with a hacky solution that shouldn't exist anyway. Sure, maybe you are overwhelmed, but if you did not care enough to fix a well-documented, reproducible, year-old problem, then I do not see how piling an additional problem on top would make it any better, best case it would just get ignored like the first one.

pwhodges

A problem with a different application is a separate issue.  They'd like some evidence to help them work on fixing that one too.

Paul

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

A problem with a different application is a separate issue.  They'd like some evidence to help them work on fixing that one too.

Paul

Exactly.  This isn't a "hacky" solution.   It is a full blown app that is being developed to support both mobile and TV so we would really like to diagnose whatever playback issue you are having.

• Confused 1

francescoc
23 hours ago, ebr said:

Exactly.  This isn't a "hacky" solution.   It is a full blown app that is being developed to support both mobile and TV so we would really like to diagnose whatever playback issue you are having.

Sideloading an app is not hacky? If the Fire TV version is being deprecated in favour of the Android one then please say so, but I hope not because at the moment the former works much better then the latter.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

@francescoc can you please give it a try? We're happy to help. Thanks.

You guys have a clear and reproducible problem with the official version on your hands, it doesn't make much sense to start digging into another problem before having fixed the first one IMHO. If and when you fully switch out to the Android one I will be more than happy to make a detailed report of any issue I find, but for now my priority is being able to watch a movie without a transcoding galore...

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, francescoc said:

You guys have a clear and reproducible problem with the official version on your hands, it doesn't make much sense to start digging into another problem before having fixed the first one IMHO

Hi.  It does because the two are related.  You say the same item will play on app one but requires transcoding and will not play at all on app two. 

15 hours ago, francescoc said:

Sideloading an app is not hacky?

It is the best way for us to deliver the standard app to these devices for testing without completely confusing normal users by exposing it in the store.  It is issues exactly like what you are reporting that we need to discover before it can be exposed.

Thanks.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
Napsterbater
On 12/21/2021 at 8:34 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  It does because the two are related.  You say the same item will play on app one but requires transcoding and will not play at all on app two. 

It is the best way for us to deliver the standard app to these devices for testing without completely confusing normal users by exposing it in the store.  It is issues exactly like what you are reporting that we need to discover before it can be exposed.

Thanks.

Isn't that the point of the Beta that I am enrolled in? To test the new clients without sideloading?

I am seeing quite a few beta update notifications so it seems this version is not abandoned, yet you seem to be implying it is going to be abandoned in favor of the other one.

Edited by Napsterbater