Amazing ambient lighting setup

LiquidFX

LiquidFX

I made these videos a few weeks ago showing off what Hyperion does with the backlighting. Total cost to setup everything was about $120 and it was well worth it, even the wife agrees. Its something you become immersed in and when its off you know something is not right with your viewing experience.

Hyperion - Forum (hyperion-project.org)
Amazon Parts List

Edited by LiquidFX
  • Like 2

LiquidFX

I had looked into Lightberry but they didnt seem to be in business anymore so I had to make my own. This also works with 4k so that was a big plus. How do you like Lightberry?

PenkethBoy

any particular post(s) on their forum that has instructions or what you did to get it to work - rather than wading through loads of posts?

LiquidFX
5 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

any particular post(s) on their forum that has instructions or what you did to get it to work - rather than wading through loads of posts?

I went with Youtube, this is the video I watched for the setup.

LiquidFX
2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

I recently trashed my DreamScreen. It was causing artifacts. This looks interesting. I may give this a whirl, at some point.

I had seen DreamScreen but never got it because of the support issues.

sooty234
3 hours ago, LiquidFX said:

I had seen DreamScreen but never got it because of the support issues.

They when out of business. It worked well, for a long time.

LiquidFX

I'm so glad I finally done mine, and watching the fluid video that guy had showing his looks awesome as hell, thats how I sold my wife on the idea.

sooty234

I think I just discovered some setups that run on Windows and uses screencapture rather than an HDMI. I use an HTPC, so that would be so much better than compromising the HDMI signal. I need to research a little more...

LiquidFX

I looked at the lightpack but never got a response from them when asking about the UHD version. So many of these companies are small and don't have great support, if any, and don't last very long. DreamScreen was around for several years, I was waiting on the 4k unit but I was seeing issues with their support around the time they released them. Going with any form of the Hyperion setup seems to the be the best, they have a great support base and an active community. There's already been 2 updates since I set mine up.

sooty234

You can still use their software, it would appear. I like that they have a Windows version. That first link I provided points to it. It's Prismatik.

sooty234
7 minutes ago, LiquidFX said:

I'm running 226 LEDs and have a 15amp power supply

I think I'd need something like 270, depending on where I'd attach them. Apparently it's 0.06 amps per LED.

• 3 months later...
LiquidFX
On 3/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, Bigmack3000 said:

How does this look for images wider than 16:9?

The LED's can be setup based on the size of the display and receives the image from the source so I imagine it would look the same.

• Like 1

Bigmack3000

Does it break the immersion to have color around the screen, but black strips in between?  Or on the sides for full screen films?  I'm looking into setting this up, but I've realized a lot of what I watch may not fill the screen.

LiquidFX

For me it doesn't, you focus on the screen so the lights just kind of extend the feel a bit but you don't focus on them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
JohnyGreek4

Yes, the minimum glow for dark areas is adjustable. There is a delay setting (some sort of averaging is likely) of the backlight. I had Ambilight backlighting for TV (DreamScreen) and I was even glad that I spent a lot of money, until I saw on github how guys did everything with their own hands. They bought a simple ice strip with bulbs https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/ and installed it through a converter. There's no control over the degree of blurring of the picture and the complexity of having to switch the HDR. But it's not a lot of money to get the same effect.

Edited by JohnyGreek4