Cinema Trailers

im85288

im85288

Would be great if MB3 could provide a way to watch a specified number of random trailers prior to watching a Movie to create a sort of Cinema experience.

In XBMC there is a plugin known as Cinema Experience that takes it to a high level of customisation: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Cinema_Experience

It also seems Plex has just added this as a cool feature (along with automatic support for extras): https://blog.plex.tv/

• Like 2

psykix

Yeah that Plex trailers/extras feature looks really cool. The behind the scenes stuff is really nice. It seems like it downloads them all though, so those with limited space may struggle with all the extra media!

I'd often like to watch a trailer for a movie but I don't want to download them - just have them streamed from a link. After all, you're not likely to watch a trailer over and over.

• Like 1

The Baron

Nice feature, as mentioned, adds something akin to the Cinematic Experience. If needed I can add the sticky floor and idiot taking on the phone to the experience.

• Like 1

psykix

Oops - looks like the Plex one needs a little more thought..

Kids watching their movies and getting trailers for horror movies before their movie plays!

im85288

Haha oops indeed..naturally the MB3 version would be more intelligent and base them on a similar genre or something..the xbmc addon I linked let's you specify all sorts of criteria in this area 

BATTLE DONKEY

Check the plugin catalogue, its called MB Intros. You can set custom intros of any type including trailers

im85288

Thanks, had not seen that before.

It seems to be restricted to work in the MBC and MBT versions only and of course is another plugin that is being charged for that really should be part of the core (include TV Tunes etc in that) which is what turns off a lot of users with MediaBrowser.

Is it automatic in that it will select trailers itself (maybe based on genre) or do you have to specify the exact ones to be played? 

BATTLE DONKEY

There are quite a few ways to go about it, u can specify exact video files/intros, play trailers from movies u own, play trailers from upcoming releases (trailers channel) or even play specific files for different criteria such as different type of audio play this file.

As for it picking trailers automatically, it uses a few different criteria, genre being the biggest choice, but also takes actors/ directors into account. So u don't have to worry about a horror trailer playing before a kids movie

As for why its not a core feature and caters to MBT and MBClassic?

Its a feature not everyone will want to use, sure free sounds great, but I paid for it both in MB2 and again for the new version and have no problem with that because it works great and I don't mind paying for the time that was put into creating it from scratch for MB3.

It caters to the home use apps because do u honestly want to sit thru trailers and intros when ur on ur break trying to watch a quick movie? It isn't worth transcoding and playing trailers and clips when ur watching a movie on the go, that's my opinion at least

im85288

Yeah it does sound like it works very well. Shame it is only supported in MBC and MBT

By core feature I meant available to all but not necessarily ON all the time :)

Comparisons will for sure be made with Plex when MediaBrowser starts to get more popular (Linux, OS X releases will help). My opinion is many will have a look, see that simple things like TV Tunes need to be paid for, Intros need to be paid for and possibly be put off. Though that I guess is a totally different subject :)

psykix

Yes, but by the same token - to get any of the more interesting stuff on Plex (including the new trailers feature) you have to pay - and unless you pay lifetime ($75) then it's a monthly fee. And when you have 3 x PlexPass accounts like I did, so that the daughter & missus could sync music to their devices, then it gets fairly expensive quite quickly.

I don't mind paying for plugins at all - especially when they are only a couple of quid.

But yes, it's another topic!

aspdend

Yeah it does sound like it works very well. Shame it is only supported in MBC and MBT

By core feature I meant available to all but not necessarily ON all the time :)

Comparisons will for sure be made with Plex when MediaBrowser starts to get more popular (Linux, OS X releases will help). My opinion is many will have a look, see that simple things like TV Tunes need to be paid for, Intros need to be paid for and possibly be put off. Though that I guess is a totally different subject :)

To be honest, I am glad it is a paid plug in as I will never want to use it - I makes no sense to me why I would want to force myself to sit through trailers before I watch my own film.

im85288

Good points, I guess it's just a different model here.

Getting back to topic, maybe the intros addon can be made to work with other clients such as XBMB3C and Roku. Is that something that can be done @@ebr

it does already. intros are a core feature. the plugin only provides a source for the videos

Vidman

it does already. intros are a core feature. the plugin only provides a source for the videos

How do I setup intro s for xbmb3c?

well each app developer will have to add support for them. so it starts with xnappo and the group doing that first.

im85288

Are we referring to the same thing here?

I wanted a way to be able to start a movie and have it show a few random trailers (based on genre etc) before the movie starts.

Is the Intros not something that is added to the Media Library when scanned by placing the files in the correct file structure?

yes, same thing. the intros can come from anywhere. the plugin has a configuration to setup rules for what content to provide as intros before a movie (including trailers).

you can find a sample in the roku source code. any video can have intros, so just before playback you download the intro list based on item id + user id.

im85288

Sorry I still am not 100% clear on how I can use this correctly.

Can I set up intros without the plugin (as it's part of the core) or is the plugin a requirement for providing intros..

It's really not clear to me at all, which I guess may be the same for many new users too. If they see headlines such as plex has cinema trailers and see how easy it integrates and then to do the equivalent here it seems not very intuitive?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here...

psykix

I'm wondering the same - I found my Pearl & Dean intro :-)

From searching the forum all the posts I read say the plugin is required for intros.

I looked at the post for MB Intros Plugin - http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1406-mb-intros/ but I'm still not too clear what it actually does.

Does it get the trailers and other extras for you or do you have to supply those and the plugin just determines which will play?

The concept of providing intros before item playback is a core feature of the API but, there are no sources for these intros implemented in the core.  So to get the functionality you need something to act as a source for these intros.  The MB Intros plug-in is the only source for intros right now but there could be more if someone were to create them.

Additionally, client apps need to support the concept of intro playback and MBC and MBT are the only ones who have implemented this support because, to me anyway, it doesn't make much sense to have intros forced into the playback stream on a tablet or phone.  This is a feature people want when sitting down in front of the big screen to watch a movie.

In all honesty, I never even use the plug-in because the whole concept was a little strange to me in the first place.  We all go to the trouble of ripping our movies and explicitly removing things like forced intros so I'm not interested in adding them back.  But, there was a lot of interest from users for this so we implemented it but as a plug-in because we did feel the target audience would be less than 50% of users.  This is a feature that dates back to MB 2.

• Like 1

Roku supports them. I've also added them to the web client for the next release (chrome/FF only).

psykix

The concept of providing intros before item playback is a core feature of the API but, there are no sources for these intros implemented in the core.  So to get the functionality you need something to act as a source for these intros.  The MB Intros plug-in is the only source for intros right now but there could be more if someone were to create them.

Additionally, client apps need to support the concept of intro playback and MBC and MBT are the only ones who have implemented this support because, to me anyway, it doesn't make much sense to have intros forced into the playback stream on a tablet or phone.  This is a feature people want when sitting down in front of the big screen to watch a movie.

In all honesty, I never even use the plug-in because the whole concept was a little strange to me in the first place.  We all go to the trouble of ripping our movies and explicitly removing things like forced intros so I'm not interested in adding them back.  But, there was a lot of interest from users for this so we implemented it but as a plug-in because we did feel the target audience would be less than 50% of users.  This is a feature that dates back to MB 2.

That makes sense now.

Some people do like the whole cinema experience - I did have Mediaportal set up at one time to show the Pearl & Dean intro before the movie, but it was more of a thing to show to friends than something that was used on a day by day basis.

I think if I did use it, then the novelty would probably wear off quite quickly!

On the other hand, sometimes it would be nice to be able to view a trailer of a movie before you watch it - but I don't want to have to download them and have trailers for every movie, just have a web link in the client that I can click and stream it. Again, Mediaportal had this functionality and that was quite handy.

BATTLE DONKEY

The plugin is required to play the intros/trailers. What it does is allows you to set what it plays and in which order before the film begins. It doesn't come with any intros built into it, u have to find those urself, for trailers tho it will use either the upcoming trailers from the channels plugin or also trailers for movies u have stored along with ur media

Never mind, its been answered. I should refresh my page before answering lol

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY