***It's Back [4.5.4.18]*** Sound Bug now in Web App

troyhough

troyhough

Hi @Luke the sound problem that I reported with Chromebooks (link below) is now also in the Web App. Loss of Primary Voice/Dialogue Track. I am not sure if the Chromebook bug has been fixed or not (haven't used it in a while) but it's now on the mobile app. Appears to be the exact same issue possibly. Version: Chrome Android Emby Web 4.5.4.1

Edit: STILL HAPPENING IN Chrome Android Emby Web 4.5.4.11 as of 12/24/2020

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
On 12/10/2020 at 11:28 AM, troyhough said:

Hi @Luke the sound problem that I reported with Chromebooks (link below) is now also in the Web App. Center channel dialogue track is gone!. I am not sure if the Chromebook bug has been fixed or not (haven't used it in a while) but it's now on the mobile app. Version: Chrome Android Emby Web 4.5.4.1

• 2 months later...
troyhough

Well this bug is now back again with the mobile web app unfortunately. Surround channels come through perfectly through phone speakers, but the center channel/voice channel is stripped completely. Happens with Direct Play and Transcoding.

Web App version 4.5.4.18

Server version 4.5.4.0

Edit: Just tried the Web app on my Windows machine via Chrome browser and audio seems fine there so it appears to be an issue with mobile and the Web app.

Edited by troyhough

We'd have to add an option to always force audio to be transcoded to stereo for devices where this is a problem on. There's not a whole lot else we can do.

troyhough
6 hours ago, Luke said:

We'd have to add an option to always force audio to be transcoded to stereo for devices where this is a problem on. There's not a whole lot else we can do.

For what reason? Everything has Direct Played since I moved to Emby from Plex in Nov 2019.

Because there's nothing we can do about this when it is direct playing. You keep coming to us for an explanation or solution, but I've responded the same way numerous times. It is an issue in the browser video player. The only fix we could make would be something that you might not like anyway.

troyhough
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Because there's nothing we can do about this when it is direct playing. You keep coming to us for an explanation or solution, but I've responded the same way numerous times. It is an issue in the browser video player. The only fix we could make would be something that you might not like anyway.

The problem was here before, but the problem was fixed.

Now the problem is back again and it happens when content is Direct Playing or transcoding.

The problem was here before, but the problem was fixed.

We never did anything to address this.

or transcoding.

We don't necessarily force the audio to stereo when we transcode, so if we were to add an option to start doing that, then I would think this would no longer be an issue. But of course, then you're probably going to say that you don't like that solution.

troyhough
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

We never did anything to address this.

We don't necessarily force the audio to stereo when we transcode, so if we were to add an option to start doing that, then I would think this would no longer be an issue. But of course, then you're probably going to say that you don't like that solution.

I wouldn't have any issues if it direct streamed, meaning the video direct played and audio was repackaged to 2-channel stereo since it's a 2 channel stereo L/R phone.

Edit: Why does this issue come and go? When someone is using the Web player and they try to play, probably most if not all of their content, it's going to be unusable/worthless to be blunt. What good is a media player with no sound?

Edited by troyhough

There could sometimes be cases where an audio conversion also requires a video conversion and that will be when you might not like that sort of option.

troyhough
1 minute ago, Luke said:

There could sometimes be cases where an audio conversion also requires a video conversion and that will be when you might not like that sort of option.

The no sound option right now doesn't seem very swell lol..

• 5 months later...
troyhough

Server: Windows 4.6.4.0
Chrome Android Emby Web 4.6.4.25

This bug is still going on with mobile Chrome Web player. Main dialogue sound track is completely gone.

265 transcode, main dialogue GONE.
265 can't direct play, codec not supported, so impossible to test. No Problem.
264 transcode, works, No Problem.
264 direct play, main dialogue GONE.

With the official Android app, the sound works as it should with all.

What would you like us to do? I've already said that transcoding is the only possible solution. The only thing we could do is add an option to always convert any audio that is greater than 2 channels. Of course, doing that would cause a lot of video transcoding as well.

troyhough
3 hours ago, Luke said:

What would you like us to do? I've already said that transcoding is the only possible solution. The only thing we could do is add an option to always convert any audio that is greater than 2 channels. Of course, doing that would cause a lot of video transcoding as well.

It already transcodes 265 so I don't see any problem at all with that option! There's no point in having it simply not work so something needs to be done. 9 out of 10 people , with how it is now, would try out Emby and say "screw this pos I'm going to use X, Y, or Z instead of Emby!" So a solution needs to happen.

Edited by troyhough

Just curious, why would you intentionally use Chrome Browser for playback of media you know it can't play on an Android device when you have a full app designed for the device to use that can playback the media?

Edit: But of course it should work in the chrome as well even if it needs transcoding.

Edited by cayars

troyhough
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Just curious, why would you intentionally use Chrome Browser for playback of media you know it can't play on an Android device when you have a full app designed for the device to use that can playback the media?

Edit: But of course it should work in the chrome as well even if it needs transcoding.

Sprint throttles the traffic somehow when using the app to about 1.5Mb. When using the Web app, it's around 9Mb (same as Fast.com). So I agree using the app would be ideal, but unfortunately I can't unless I want to transcode everything to hell!

And yes I agree it needs to work in Chrome, whether that means force transcoding or not!

Happy2Play
24 minutes ago, troyhough said:

Sprint throttles the traffic somehow when using the app to about 1.5Mb.

Are you sure that is not just the app on Auto playback quality as that is Emby's fallback default bitrate.

troyhough
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Are you sure that is not just the app on Auto playback quality as that is Emby's fallback default bitrate.

100%. Lost 100s of hours of my life dicking with it. Lots of posts about it.

Happy2Play

Not a lot you can do if ISP is traffic shaping, but that value still seems suspicious to me.

troyhough
57 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not a lot you can do if ISP is traffic shaping, but that value still seems suspicious to me.

I believe Sprint throttles music @ 1.5Mb so it is most likely treating that traffic as music. Makes perfect sense and all of my tests and videos confirm it.

Back on subject, the Chrome audio needs fixed.

Thanks @Luke and everyone!

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Just curious but have you tried using a secure connection?

I've tried the VPN route. Makes no difference.

Secure? Have a link with info?

I mean a remote connection to your server over the SSL port so the ISP can't easily throttle you based on content as the streams are encrypted.