LG TV Connection Woes

SHyde
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

I'm trying to be Plex convert due to their DVR issues and big time LG app issues... but I'm running into some trouble.

Server: 4.5.3.0 on Windows 10

I just updated the LG Emby App.

When I try to connect to the server, it spins for a while and then says that the connection failed

If I sign in with Emby Connect, it creates a second copy of the server to select... which also fails to connect.

image.png.89effb406eee5ab1a326354e6781c8ab.png

Oddly, this same phenomenon is present when I connect through app.emby.media... except that one of the two works.

If I use "Add Server" and connect via IP address (192.168.1.17), it works fine... until I turn the TV off, and then it forgets about what it is supposed to connect to and I have to type it in again.

Connection from my iPhone works great (didn't have to type in an IP).

I tried turning Windows Firewall completely off, but didn't seem to help.

The IPs are static, so I don't mind IP-based connection except that I don't want to have to type it in every time I turn the TV on...

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, does your Emby Server dashboard display the correct local and remote addresses?

Yes, it does.

image.png.d9ae4e49e276d1b69c7d4a1d1023212a.png

13 minutes ago, SamES said:

and are you trying to use a https connection to the server?

Not sure.  Didn't see a way to specify that one way or the other.

I've also played around with turning on/off UPnP (though again, should be using the local address), as well as putting "192.168.1.17" in the "Local IP Address" box.

I tried completely deleting the EMBY app from the TV and reinstalling it.

The good news is that now PIN-based connection (going to emby.media/pin) works!

The bad news is that I still have to do this every time I turn the TV on.  That's a non-starter.  Why isn't it remembering the server through a power cycle?

I did also try my Fire Stick 4K on another TV.  That works (didn't even ask me for a PIN, just found the server).  So something is wonky with the LG TV App.

Whenever I have seen people who have the same problem on LG with not saving the connection info, the normal fix is to delete the app completely, hard power cycle the tv, then reinstall, but you sound like you have done most of this already

I wonder if some kind of factory reset would completely wipe the flash.  I occasionally had this problem with the Plex app too where it would forget settings like which Libraries I had pinned... but it rarely forgot the server entirely, and this is every time.

• Solution

It may do, but I would try to delete the app completely, hard power cycle the tv, then reinstall again as this will be less destructive. I know this has been done once but worth trying again

25 minutes ago, SamES said:

It may do, but I would try to delete the app completely, hard power cycle the tv, then reinstall again as this will be less destructive. I know this has been done once but worth trying again

Well I'll be... that did it.  Hard power cycle for that outlet is a breaker.  Deleted the app.  Breaker off.  Count to 30.  Breaker on.  Reinstall app.  Set server with PIN.  Turn TV off.  Turn TV on.  AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT TO SERVER!  Woo!

• Like 1