Transcoding Question - Roku, 4k HEVC HDR, TrueHD

JeremyG

JeremyG

I haven't really tried any HDR on Emby before, but I just put a movie on my server that I really want to get the BEST experience from.  How do I know i'm getting the best experience?

First my setup:
Roku Ultimate --> Onkyo NR-676 --> Sony XBR-X900E
Ember Server is Windows and NVDEC capable

Movie is:
4k HVEC,  10-bit, 2160, 71,528 kbps, HDR, bt2020
Audio is:
TrueHD 7.1 8 ch, 48,000 Hz, 24 bit

When I play it, the server seems to be transcoding. I *think* It's only transcoding the audio...but I can't find a guide on how to read the logs to be sure.  But the log file says:
TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

The performance is fine, FF and RWD do not have an excessive delay.   However, my TV does not recognize the signal as HDR.    The color looks washed out until I manually set my TV to HDR 10-bit. (then it looks PRETTY GOOD!)...but how do I know it's all the best it can be?

I can post logs and stuff, but I'd like to make sure I understand what I'm looking at and then only post what is needed if somoene is willing to look at it.

For one point, I don't think any of the Rokus can handle uncompressed formats like TrueHD, so that on its own would require transcoding and I think it would drop to 5.1

Edited by roaku

RanmaCanada

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit means exactly that, you have surpassed the bitrate that it can play.  As I have only seen MediaExceedsBitrate, which is usually tied to a horrible connection between me and the person, I would presume that this error you are getting means that the Roku is unable to play such a large bitrate, and it is being forced to transcode the video, hence your washed out colours as nvenc does not support tone mapping, and neither does Emby at this time (If I am wrong go ahead and correct me please).

But roaku is right that the Roku will not handle uncompressed audio.  You will need to either re-encode the file to a lower bitrate and change the audio, or replace your Roku with a device that will play it just fine, which I believe is only The Shield.  I don't have my Firecube at the moment so I can't test if it will play it through Kodi or Exoplayer.

See if your TV will do it.  Isn't the x900 and Android TV? First I would suggest to try it with the Emby app, then the Exoplayer beta that is floating in the forums, and worse case scenario, enable external players and try it with Kodi and fiddle with audio settings/passthrough.

Edited by RanmaCanada

JeremyG
6 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit means exactly that, you have surpassed the bitrate that it can play.  As I have only seen MediaExceedsBitrate, which is usually tied to a horrible connection between me and the person, I would presume that this error you are getting means that the Roku is unable to play such a large bitrate, and it is being forced to transcode the video, hence your washed out colours as nvenc does not support tone mapping, and neither does Emby at this time (If I am wrong go ahead and correct me please).

Yea but is it just not doing the mapping but it is kind of still working?  Cause when i set my TV to 10-bit it looks great....on par with the BluRay disc I have of the same movie....but I don't know if it's supposed to look BETTER than that or not.

See if your TV will do it.  Isn't the x900 and Android TV? First I would suggest to try it with the Emby app, then the Exoplayer beta that is floating in the forums, and worse case scenario, enable external players and try it with Kodi and fiddle with audio settings/passthrough.

The TV is android...will try Emby on that for sure.

But now you're also making me think I might try putting the video on a USB stick and try playing it directly on the Onkyo Receiver....or directly on the TV (will have ot fiddle with Audio Return Channel to get the sound.  

• 1 month later...

HDR Tone mapping when transcoding will be in Emby Server 4.6. Stay tuned to the beta channel over the next week if you'd like to help test.