Server on android box (beeling king pro) + media on NAS synology (DS216j)

Misom23

Hi folks,

Total newcomer here, struggling hard to get the title pair working, but having serious issues in having the emby server to recognize the NAS synology as a source. When I try to locate the path and choose network, it always ends up with that common error. I've tried both stipulating the name of the server (\\server nameX\folder name or \\volume1\folder name) or the IP (\\192.168.1.XX or \\192.168.1.XX\folder name), and several inter-combinations, but nothing works. It appears that the emby server simply won't recognize anything on the network (not just NAS, it does not recognize my PC as a possible source as well).

As I already have plex using NAS as the media source, I know for a fact that NAS functions properly and is discoverable. I am able to see it and access it directly through the explorer via my PC.

I am guessing that this has something to do with the android box, and its capacity to recognize stuff outside of its local premisses? I haven't yet looked into that.

So, any experience there? I did research quite a lot on this forum and over the internet, the closest I found so far was the WINS server enabling, but on my synology there is no such option, only the option to enter the IP (I did try the emby server IP, but nothing changed).

Best,

MM

Hello ebr, thank you for getting back to me!

This does look like a good approach for my issue, but I don't have the option to mount a network storage, just the local one. Thus one more reason to suspect that something is wrong with the android box setup itself. Again, NAS connects to PC fine, and vice versa.

Best,

MM

Funny thing - I was looking at preinstalled apps on this model (beelink), and came across an app media center, started it, turns out it has something called DRM server, clicked on it, and it shows emby server. Even funnier, this was after I did the full reset, so emby was not even installed yet (now I've installed it again, same issue). So, the box actually does recognize NAS (it even registered movies within two folders that I've set up to check whether it works). But the emby server itself will not recognize NAS.

clarkss12

I have run into the same issue on several of my Amlogic boxes, including the Beelink GT King Pro.  They cannot access any devices on the local network.  

The only Android device, that I am aware of, that can access hardware on the local network is the Nvidia shield.  The Nvidia shield has a setting to mount the network drives.

• Like 1

Oh, very strange.

I did manage to access NAS by usng FTP over Solid Explorer. I can access it just fine from beelink. Even tried to play a video - works good!

So, again, this may not even necessarily be an issue of accessing local network devices. This must be more an issue of how native apps are setup. Native file explorer app cannot see any devices, and native settings do not allow for mounting a network storage device. This is probably the cultprit, but I have no skills to figure out how to circumnavigate this.

Any ideas?

17 hours ago, Misom23 said:

Funny thing - I was looking at preinstalled apps on this model (beelink), and came across an app media center, started it, turns out it has something called DRM server, clicked on it, and it shows emby server. Even funnier, this was after I did the full reset, so emby was not even installed yet (now I've installed it again, same issue). So, the box actually does recognize NAS (it even registered movies within two folders that I've set up to check whether it works). But the emby server itself will not recognize NAS.

I imagine that was finding our DLNA server.

• Like 1

clarkss12

Perhaps you can email Beelink about adding the ability to "mount" the external NAS drives locally.  I have previously emailed them a couple of times explaining the NEED for the ability to mount networked drives, like the Nvidia Shield does.....  

The Shield added this function after it had been out for quite awhile........  

Here is their email address, and they will forward the message to their developers.....

beelink@bee-link.com

If you don't have the Shield, here is the settings that it created to mount the external networked devices.

537491390_drivesmounted.thumb.jpg.e4d2621feb89e356c9e7bd6f281bec54.jpg1784772346_Mountsetting.thumb.jpg.386c1b74c28afef966aa0e24a6ccabe2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

Perhaps you can email Beelink about adding the ability to "mount" the external NAS drives locally.  I have previously emailed them a couple of times explaining the NEED for the ability to mount networked drives, like the Nvidia Shield does.....  

The Shield added this function after it had been out for quite awhile........  

Here is their email address, and they will forward the message to their developers.....

beelink@bee-link.com

If you don't have the Shield, here is the settings that it created to mount the external networked devices.

537491390_drivesmounted.thumb.jpg.e4d2621feb89e356c9e7bd6f281bec54.jpg1784772346_Mountsetting.thumb.jpg.386c1b74c28afef966aa0e24a6ccabe2.jpg

Thank you! I will definitely write to this email as weel, I wrote to support@bee-link.com.

4 hours ago, Misom23 said:

Not sure what you mean by this?

You mentioned that you went into some other product and "Emby Server" was listed there.  I think that was probably seeing our server as a DLNA device.

10 hours ago, ebr said:

You mentioned that you went into some other product and "Emby Server" was listed there.  I think that was probably seeing our server as a DLNA device.

Yes exactly, DLNA, and not DRM, sorry about that mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

In the mean time, I've set up the emby server on NAS DS216j, and it works without issues (I did not expect that I will be able to set it up due to the fact that I cannot run plex media server on that model, but it works without flaws - the only thing that I have to figure is how to fast forward using the slider (like on plex, netflix etc.).

• 4 weeks later...

A small update.

I have managed to get the NAS recognized by the native file app (beelink), SMB service.

But, clicking on Emby folder location and choosing network only results in endless circle loop, and nothing really happens. Tried all sorts of manual entries, and nothing.

18 hours ago, Misom23 said:

A small update.

I have managed to get the NAS recognized by the native file app (beelink), SMB service.

But, clicking on Emby folder location and choosing network only results in endless circle loop, and nothing really happens. Tried all sorts of manual entries, and nothing.

Can you please attach the emby server log from when this happened? Thanks.

Misom23

This may be difficult as I am not really up-to-speed on how beelink works, let alone how to access logs :) In any case, I've played with NAS a lot, permissions, new user account (exact same as emby)... nothing really helped, until I tried one last thing.

One one forum I found a similar issues where someone has suggested to try out a specific beta version. That thread was a couple of years old, so what I did was to uninstall current version, and install current beta version of emby server.

And all of a sudden, emby recognizes network in general, and NAS in particular :)

So, this, in the end, might have been the culprit. I would guess that restoring the NAS options to default would not affect the network visibility.

Beelink, on the other hand, still does not recognize NAS :) I've read somewhere that one has to open some ports on beelink, but I have no idea how to open ports on beelink (I know how to open ports on router and NAS).

Thank you all for you help.

Best,

MM

clarkss12

Could you point me in the direction of the beta Emby server that "sees" external storage devices, ex. a NAS.           Thanks

Misom23
8 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Could you point me in the direction of the beta Emby server that "sees" external storage devices, ex. a NAS.           Thanks

Of course, here is the direct link: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.10/com.emby.embyserver_4.6.0.10.apk

The web page: https://emby.media/server-android.html

Look below, under Installation (BETA), current version 4.6.0.10.

Again, I cannot 100% guarantee that the beta version on its own resolved the issue for me, but I am 99% that's the case :)

Good luck!

clarkss12

I am running the beta server on my Beelink GS King X, and still it can NOT access my external networked devices.  I have not tested my King Pro lately, but I am sure it has the same issue.  

Perhaps we are talking about different things........  My devices have never had an issue connecting with my networked devices using a file browser, just that Emby can't "see" the networked devices.

I did not check the King Pro, but my GS King X shows a weird local LAN access, but it ain't even close......... 

Here is a photo of my server admin running on my GS King X (Amlogic S922X).

1685378210_betaserver.thumb.jpg.9326efbee67722c7e0fd079e8be1af92.jpg

Misom23
28 minutes ago, Luke said:

Regarding this, there should be no difference between beta and stable.

Well, I've checked again, and yes, there seems to be a major difference.

Before uninstalling the stable version and installing the beta version, I did not change anything additional on NAS. So, this must be related to BETA being able to recognize LAN NAS as opposed to stable that is not able to do so.

clarkss12

So, let me understand this correctly....

You are running the Emby server on your Beelink King Pro and you were able to create a library from media that is stored on your Synology NAS??

Misom23
1 minute ago, clarkss12 said:

I am running the beta server on my Beelink GS King X, and still it can NOT access my external networked devices.  I have not tested my King Pro lately, but I am sure it has the same issue.  

Perhaps we are talking about different things........  My devices have never had an issue connecting with my networked devices using a file browser, just that Emby can't "see" the networked devices.

I did not check the King Pro, but my GS King X shows a weird local LAN access, but it ain't even close......... 

Here is a photo of my server admin running on my GS King X (Amlogic S922X).

1685378210_betaserver.thumb.jpg.9326efbee67722c7e0fd079e8be1af92.jpg

Did you restart the emby server after installing the beta version - I had to this (even got the message to do so).

Also, make sure to restart NAS as well.

In addition, make sure that the folders on NAS you want to access are shared (photo attached). After doing a lot of reading on the subject (difficult to find exact issue online), I've enabled read and write to all users, made specific NFS permissions (one example attached, also made a similar one with ember server IP (beelink)), enabled smb and nfs (of course), enabled local master browsers under smb advanced settings (photo attached), and, enabled SSDP and ws-discovery. Not sure to what extent some of the listed things were related to my problem (you have the same problem), but right now I am running emby server on beelink, getting media from NAS, and watching through emby player on samsung tv (I found a tizen version, unofficial).

Hope you make it!

Screenshot_2021-01-04 MMSERV - Synology DiskStation(3).png

Screenshot_2021-01-04 MMSERV - Synology DiskStation(2).png

Screenshot_2021-01-04 MMSERV - Synology DiskStation(1).png

Screenshot_2021-01-04 MMSERV - Synology DiskStation.png

Misom23
3 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

So, let me understand this correctly....

You are running the Emby server on your Beelink King Pro and you were able to create a library from media that is stored on your Synology NAS??

Yes, check my last post for details.