Multi-User Support for Apple TV

bradendelarue

bradendelarue

Hi all,

Just a request for the tvOS app to respect the logged in user on the Apple TV.

The ideal behaviour would be to have an option to ‘remember me’ per TV user, so when changing user in control centre, the emby user would change also to reflect that.

Cheers!

• Like 1

This is a good idea if possible.  Frankly, I'm surprised it doesn't just work automatically but I guess that's how it is.

bradendelarue

I think the idea of Apple not doing it by default is that if your app doesn’t have multi user/profile stuff it doesn’t want you to be forced into logging in multiple times for shared accounts, but if this could be added for Emby I think it’s a perfect use case

vdatanet
5 hours ago, corey said:

This will be in our next beta release.

Tested in beta 1.5.1 (2). In preliminary tests it works perfectly, I will report later after continued use. Thank you!

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Tested in beta 1.5.1 (2). In preliminary tests it works perfectly, I will report later after continued use. Thank you!

That's good to hear!

samuelqwe
2 hours ago, vdatanet said:

How did you get it to work? I can’t get the Emby profiles to stick to the Apple TV profiles. Best I can do is that the app will restart when I switch users on the Apple TV, but that still requires me to pick the corresponding Emby profile.

This doesn’t tie Emby users to specific Apple users. I don’t expect that functionality to come to the app.

What it does though is store data (such as preferences, logged in user) on a tvOS user by user basis. 

samuelqwe
2 minutes ago, corey said:

This doesn’t tie Emby users to specific Apple users. I don’t expect that functionality to come to the app.

What it does though is store data (such as preferences, logged in user) on a tvOS user by user basis. 

Then it’s not very useful to me if it doesn’t map to Apple profiles, but perhaps other users will be able to take advantage of the per profile settings.

I was really expecting something like: you switch the profile on the Apple TV and when you open the Emby it logs you in automatically on your profile. Like it was showed off in this WWDC session.

Just now, samuelqwe said:

Then it’s not very useful to me if it doesn’t map to Apple profiles, but perhaps other users will be able to take advantage of the per profile settings.

I was really expecting something like: you switch the profile on the Apple TV and when you open the Emby it logs you in automatically on your profile. Like it was showed off in this WWDC session.

If you have Remember Me set to on you should be able to achieve this.

• Like 1

samuelqwe
28 minutes ago, corey said:

If you have Remember Me set to on you should be able to achieve this.

For some reason it wasn’t working when I first tried it because the remember me was persisting between profiles, but it works fine now.

Don’t know what happened earlier, but it works great now.

Edited by samuelqwe

bradendelarue

Thank you so much to the developers and beta testers that have jumped on this so quickly!

I was thinking it may be written on a roadmap to look at in the future if i was lucky, but the instant attention on this is astounding.