Fire Stick TV pausing on live TV and recordings

Chris442

Chris442

I am having issues playing live TV shows via Fire Stick.  The show will start and then pause, start playing again, pause and continue to repeat.  If I record the same show and try to play it the same thing happens.  If I attempt to watch the same show live or recorded via my laptop app it works find.  I sent the logs via the Fire Stick app at approx 8:00 PM EST.  Emby user name is Chris.

Thoughts?

Hi.  It looks like either the bitrate is too high for some part of the connection, or there is a problem with the stream.

I/CodecNameUnknown-MediaCodecVideoRenderer(32023): dropOutputBuffer: bufferIndex = 2, PTS = 18852166
I/MediaCodecLogger(32023): tv.emby.embyatv.HW.video.avc Dropping frame
I/CodecNameUnknown-MediaCodecVideoRenderer(32023): dropOutputBuffer: bufferIndex = 1, PTS = 18885533
I/CodecNameUnknown-MediaCodecVideoRenderer(32023): dropOutputBuffer: bufferIndex = 0, PTS = 18918900
I/CodecNameUnknown-MediaCodecVideoRenderer(32023): dropOutputBuffer: bufferIndex = 9, PTS = 18952266
I/CodecNameUnknown-MediaCodecVideoRenderer(32023): dropOutputBuffer: bufferIndex = 6, PTS = 18985633

Chris442

Thanks for the log review.  I just upgraded to the 2020 Firestick and noticed I am now getting twice the download speeds with it.  It looks like I'm getting 210 Mbps down and 10Mbps up.  I've noticed this buffering doesn't happen to all my recordings or live TV shows so would I adjust the bitrate for only the shows that are having issues?  Please keep in mind that for the shows that are buffing via FireStick I'm not experiencing this via my laptop.

I've ran across this link for Fire TV setup https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001161548-fire-tv but was wondering if there was another section that shows the recommended settings for using Emby on a FireStick?

Edited by Chris442

Chris442

And after doing more checking, items that played a few days ago will now not play without buffering.  Could it be the recent update??

11 hours ago, Chris442 said:

And after doing more checking, items that played a few days ago will now not play without buffering.  Could it be the recent update??

Hi.  We would have to look at a specific example but what we saw before suggests either an environmental or source problem.  Have you tried rebooting everything?

Chris442
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We would have to look at a specific example but what we saw before suggests either an environmental or source problem.  Have you tried rebooting everything?

Yes, I've rebooted everything to include server, FIrestick, router, etc... 

Chris442

I've been digging through different recordings as a few of them would play.  After looking through the forum I started to think transcoding had something to do with it.  I had one show that I could play without issue and it was using "Direct Stream" as the Play Method.  I'm not sure what setting I could use to change all the recordings but I did come across the transcoding setting page and I changed two settings and one definitely resolved the issue.  The transcoding thread count was set to 4 so I changed that to auto, with no correction in buffering.  When I changed "Enable hardware acceleration when available" to "No" the buffering issues went away.  Does this make sense?

Chris442
13 hours ago, softworkz said:

I would need to see the ffmpeg log from the situation where it's failing..

I can rollback the server setting and play the recording to get a log entry.  How long should I let the recording play before pulling the log?

10 hours ago, Chris442 said:

I can rollback the server setting and play the recording to get a log entry.  How long should I let the recording play before pulling the log?

On 12/5/2020 at 2:22 AM, Chris442 said:

The show will start and then pause, start playing again, pause and continue to repeat. 

As long as needed to cover the error you're experiencing (once or twice)

Chris442
On 12/8/2020 at 10:00 PM, Chris442 said:

Here is the file after I rolled the config back and played Mash at 9:56 PM EST.  I also sent the logs via FireStick app.  Let me know if you need more info.

ffmpeg-transcode-b4eb42ee-9bc5-4946-8650-4a34f62ef5ca_1.txt 30.17 kB · 0 downloads

@softworkz Did you get these files and do you need anything more?

• 2 weeks later...
Chris442
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

No it is working great now.  I just wasn't sure if softworkz wanted to review the logs for any possible future setting changes.