CoverArt plugin applying intermittently

joetoml1n

joetoml1n

Good morning all

Recently, I've noticed the Blu-Ray or 4k banner on top of the cover is not displaying. It was previously working perfectly, although recently I've noticed it not working correctly. I'm not sure when this started, as I only noticed it yesterday - but I would suggest it's within the last couple weeks. This banner is generated through the CoverArt plug in, which is still operating with default settings. I've never adjusted any of these settings for general use and it's always worked as expected. I have of course attempted changing settings in this as part of my troubleshooting, but have been unable to fix the issue. It seems very intermittent as to what titles show the banner and what do not. They are all in the same parent folder and there also appears to be no correlation with it being a problem for 1080p BluRay titles or 2160p 4K UHD titles

A screenshot below shows the issue, where some titles show the banner and some do not. 

715964486_Screenshot2020-12-04at1_02_11pm.thumb.png.f36be3eed45fff1c2e2bb4eb9091292f.png

I have also tried installing older versions of the plug in, to see if it's a recent issue, but have been unable to fix through this means too. Rescanning the library also doesn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any advice or has experienced similar issues?

Emby Server is running on Win 10, and the application version is 4.5.3.0 and the plug in version is 4.1.10.0 (although I have tired all the versions available for install back to 4.0.99

Edited by joetoml1n

pwhodges

I don't use the plug-in, so I don't know what it does that might affect this, but are you sure there's even such a banner?  In my collection I just see images of box fronts, some of which include the bit at the top and some of which don't - it's just down to the person who cropped the image.  You may find that if you go to the edit images item on the 3-dot menu you can find alternate versions with or without that header - but again, that just depends on whoever put the images up.

Paul

joetoml1n
15 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I don't use the plug-in, so I don't know what it does that might affect this, but are you sure there's even such a banner?  In my collection I just see images of box fronts, some of which include the bit at the top and some of which don't - it's just down to the person who cropped the image.  You may find that if you go to the edit images item on the 3-dot menu you can find alternate versions with or without that header - but again, that just depends on whoever put the images up.

Paul

No, it’s nothing to do with the image for the title. None of the images I have selected contain the blu ray or 4K information ribbon. The banner is dynamically applied afterwards by the plug in. I am aware of course that some alternative cover images do contain a fake box design or similar banner, but that is not the case here.

I noticed this happened to me the other day as well. Very intermittent and I haven't figured out why yet.
I have not reported it as I only saw this happen a couple of times out of hundreds of entries (that I'm aware of). But now that someone else has seen this I'll be looking for it.

I'm running the beta 4.6.0.6.  What version are you running?

joetoml1n
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

I noticed this happened to me the other day as well. Very intermittent and I haven't figured out why yet.
I have not reported it as I only saw this happen a couple of times out of hundreds of entries (that I'm aware of). But now that someone else has seen this I'll be looking for it.

I'm running the beta 4.6.0.6.  What version are you running?

At least it's not just me then! 

Yes, it is working more than not. Although, I would say there are enough instances of titles where it's not working, to make it annoying. Probably 10-20% of all my titles don't have the ribbon. I can't find any correlation though, which is annoying! And if I change some of the plugin settings, working titles change, but it doesn't fix. And in fact sometimes a previously working title (with the banner) now do not have the banner, and vice versa..

I'm on the latest stable release I think, 4.5.3.0 

Looks to me like those items are not being identified properly as movies so they are getting a different treatment style.

joetoml1n

Here's an example, I've changed (ticked) the "Use original art aspect ratio" button and the titles that are working have changed. Compare this to the screenshot in my first post, you'll see that some previously working titles now are not and previously blank titles now have the banner.. Strange huh!

813383030_Screenshot2020-12-04at4_29_57pm.thumb.png.bf5328bd04b23777416d15c5b22c49d8.png

1378194306_Screenshot2020-12-04at4_30_24pm.thumb.png.828e04e725c887ca839421645b8afe9f.png

Can you look in your "enhancedImages" cache and try and find one of those that is not displaying properly and see what the actual image file looks like?  I'm starting to wonder if maybe what is happening is the UI is cropping the image...

Edit: never mind.  Here is the problem:

2020-12-04 09:51:37.635 Error ImageProcessor: Error enhancing image
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Download\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19042
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.8
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/Download/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 2
	Data path: C:\Users\Download\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\Download\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.Exception: System.Exception: Output stream is not valid for C:\Users\Download\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\images\enhanced-images\8\8436bb500e34ef5448ea03e8163f7fcf.jpg
	   at CoverArt.Skia.CoverArtBaseEnhancer.EnhanceImageAsync(BaseItem item, String inputPath, String outputPath, ImageType imageType, Int32 imageIndex)
	   at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.ExecuteImageEnhancers(IEnumerable`1 imageEnhancers, String inputPath, String outputPath, BaseItem item, ImageType imageType, Int32 imageIndex)
	   at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.GetEnhancedImageInternal(String originalImagePath, BaseItem item, ImageType imageType, Int32 imageIndex, IImageEnhancer[] supportedEnhancers, String cacheGuid, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.GetEnhancedImage(ItemImageInfo image, Boolean inputImageSupportsTransparency, BaseItem item, Int32 imageIndex, IImageEnhancer[] enhancers, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: CoverArt
	TargetSite: System.Threading.Tasks.Task EnhanceImageAsync(MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem, System.String, System.String, MediaBrowser.Model.Entities.ImageType, Int32)

The question now is why...

joetoml1n
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Try deleting that file or even the entire cache\images folder and then see if it happens again.

The file doesn't exist, so obviously cannot delete. Maybe that is part of the issue?

I will try deleting the images folder and will update with the result. (Of course, I will back it up incase there's side effects!)

joetoml1n
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Try deleting that file or even the entire cache\images folder and then see if it happens again.

53 minutes ago, joetoml1n said:

The file doesn't exist, so obviously cannot delete. Maybe that is part of the issue?

I will try deleting the images folder and will update with the result. (Of course, I will back it up incase there's side effects!)

@ebr

Okay, so I've deleted the entire folder, removed the plugin and restarted Emby. I went through my library and confirmed that all the banners/ribbons have been removed from the top of the covers. I then installed the plug in again and restarted Emby. 

The cache\images folder was recreated and started to increase in size, although after a couple mins the increase in size stopped and hasn't changed since. It is 9MB and 65 items, vs ~800MB and ~5700 images of the images folder I previously removed.

You can see that some titles have the correct banner at the top, but some do not. Screenshot for comparison to previous screenshots, below. As you can see, not all titles have the banner and the ones that do are different to before...

616646484_Screenshot2020-12-04at8_01_45pm.thumb.png.bb9252357595c3db91bf2d89c6f1c76a.png

Edited by joetoml1n

joetoml1n

@Luke@ebr

Small update... When I change the image, the banner comes back. I can then revert this image to my desired image and it still has the correct banner. I understand I can do this at a library level, by refreshing all metadata (including replacing images) however I would rather not. I have chosen a lot of artwork that aren't the default, so that the series of films all have a matching cover. This is obviously a purely aesthetic thing, but something I consider important. So this refresh appears to be a work around, rather than a fix.

The root of the issue is the error I posted above.  It appears in some situations the image enhance is failing.  That is why you are seeing this behavior.

What we don't know at this point is why that is failing. 

joetoml1n

That’s cool, Do you want me to leave it with you to diagnose? Just trying to give you as much info as possible, to help. I’ve gone though my library and manually changed and then reverted the image, on affected titles. Not a fun task but it looks uniform again, so I’m happy for now!

Let me know if you need any more info or if I can help in anyway. Obviously I’m loathed to make any further changes, in case I have to redo my evenings work! So a fix at some point would be lovely!

Cheers

Edited by joetoml1n

I think it is very likely that this is an environmental issue but I guess we'll see if others start reporting similar things since there was just a new server version.