Cover Art: Update media Info for HDR and Dolby Vision Overlays?

Harblar

Harblar

Now that MKVMaker is is able to get a playable DV layer when ripping a UHD, It'd be great if  we could get an overlay that would indicate either HDR or DV.  (would at least be really helpful for me to quickly figure out which movies I need to rerip to get a working DV MKV.) :D

Any chance of this happening in the future?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
chippyr

Any update on this? Would be pretty useful now in 2023 when HDR and DolbyVision are pretty widely used. It isn’t fringe content anymore.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Eigeplackter

Posted in original thread and tagged the author, didn't respond so far. Got no high hopes right now.

Would appreciate added 576p (german). Old DVD looks real sh***y

image.png.63293d277ae4dbddf0628b8f5463bd0d.png

Edited by Eigeplackter

On 1/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, chippyr said:

Any update on this? Would be pretty useful now in 2023 when HDR and DolbyVision are pretty widely used. It isn’t fringe content anymore.

Thanks.

Hi.  The server first needs to be able to provide this information.

• 2 weeks later...
swallman
On 1/8/2023 at 9:52 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  The server first needs to be able to provide this information.

Any kind of timeframe when that will be available?  I'd assume it should be pretty straightforward (unless there is licensing involved of some sort)?

6 hours ago, swallman said:

Any kind of timeframe when that will be available?  I'd assume it should be pretty straightforward (unless there is licensing involved of some sort)?

It will be in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Teddyknuddel
On 1/23/2023 at 5:04 AM, Luke said:

It will be in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

And when will the official version be released?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teddyknuddel said:

And when will the official version be released?

No ETA but we are working on it.

Teddyknuddel
44 minutes ago, Luke said:

No ETA but we are working on it.

Of course - but hopefully other bugs, such as TV recording, will be fixed.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
PagelsFamily

With 4.8 release out does it recognize HDR, HDR+, Dolby Video for Indicator overlays? Does not work for me, would like to know what I am doing wrong if so.

1 hour ago, PagelsFamily said:

With 4.8 release out does it recognize HDR, HDR+, Dolby Video for Indicator overlays? Does not work for me, would like to know what I am doing wrong if so.

Hi, what exactly do you think doesn't work?  The 4.8 server detects these now, but I don't think any new features have been added to Cover Art for them, not yet at least.

rbjtech
On 02/12/2023 at 23:09, Luke said:

Hi, what exactly do you think doesn't work?  The 4.8 server detects these now, but I don't think any new features have been added to Cover Art for them, not yet at least.

I don't believe it detects HDR10+ ... ?    Also, while it recognises/stores the DV Profiles - it unfortunately does not display them.  ie Dolby Vision 5 (no HDR10 backwards compatiblity) etc 

Edited by rbjtech

PagelsFamily

I think you both hit on some of the things I thought 4.8 would provide... namely the CoverArt portion. As a visual person seeing my files with DV or HDR, HDR+ means a lot to me. I can see on my TV screen the files clearly say Dolby Vision or HDR+, etc but that is only when i go to a specific movie and it opens on its on to reveal the synopsis of the movie, etc. I would like the case to say something different than just 4K Ultra HD for those (Only one that makes sense at this moment) but to have options on the those like IMAX, HDR10/HDR10+ & Dolby Vision. And allowing the user to pick colors for those cases as well.... My library, my way kinda thing. I can't speak for everyone of course but the more choices we have, the more it differs from Plex which is what I think so many of us really like. That freedom to create our libraries with more options like that.

BTW This image is from one of the amazing creators of plugins that made a program to make these titles. I apologize I don't know who but I love it and wish it were a part of Emby CoverArt options.

Purposeful Overlay Image.png

• 2 months later...

An  update has just been published to the Cover Art plugin to add this. It's only available for the beta server right now, but once we've collected sufficient user feedback we'll publish the update to all servers running Emby Server 4.8+.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

rbjtech
7 hours ago, Luke said:

...but once we've collected sufficient user feedback we'll publish the update to all servers running Emby Server 4.8+.

Thanks for adding DV/HDR. :)

I tried it again, but I don't actually like overlays as while it may look reasonable on the above example from H2P, on most covers/posters, the icons look pretty horrendeous and out of place.

Have you thought about adding a restricted set of the icons on the top '4K/Blu-Ray/DVD' bar ?   Say a max of 4 icons ?  (maybe make the 4K/Blu-Ray/DVD an icon as well - so 5 in total).  That way, you don't cover any of the artwork, and have a consistent background so you can use transparent icons.  (+ option of Mono - it looks so much more modern than coloured icons imo ..)

If I could do this, I'd 100% use it and I think it would modernise this really nice feature - but currently, sadly it's been uninstalled again for me.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

MagicDoubleM
15 hours ago, Luke said:

An  update has just been published to the Cover Art plugin to add this. It's only available for the beta server right now, but once we've collected sufficient user feedback we'll publish the update to all servers running Emby Server 4.8+.

Thanks guys.

image.png.6051491632e906b712da493af53a4614.png

Looking nice. I'd like to see the addition of HDR10+. If you want to further enhance, maybe recognize the existence of HDR10(+) and DV, and even go further and give the possibility to have different icons for DV5,DV7 and DV8. I'd also put resolution first...

If anyone is looking for the filenames you have to use, it's ext_hdr.png and ext_dv.png.

There are already cool icons here: 

Edited by MagicDoubleM

• 2 weeks later...
supermood

this is really great! but with own png icons it's not working for me.

shouldn't there be some kind of mapping like if dolby vision use that png file? or is there a miming convention I'm not seeing? 

I've put 10 pngs in the folder but I don't see anything on my covers. with the standard icons all good. 

thanks!! 

Edited by supermood

21 hours ago, supermood said:

this is really great! but with own png icons it's not working for me.

shouldn't there be some kind of mapping like if dolby vision use that png file? or is there a miming convention I'm not seeing? 

I've put 10 pngs in the folder but I don't see anything on my covers. with the standard icons all good. 

thanks!! 

Hi there, what exactly do you mean by not working?

• 4 weeks later...
supermood

oh sorry here I am :)

1. I have an overlay with stadard icons for movies and episodes but I'm not not getting it on the show or season cover. 

2. as soon as I change the icons with something nice and specify the location for the custom ones I get nothing 

5 hours ago, supermood said:

but I'm not not getting it on the show or season cover

Hi.  TV Shows and Seasons are containers of multiple media items.  Therefore, they do not have any individual attributes like audio or video codecs.