Subtitles or Closed Captioning with Live TV

sundevil67

sundevil67

I do most of my TV watching on a 3rd display connected to my Macbook. Unfortunately, because of too much time in loud heavy metal bars as a youngster, the hearing isn't what it used to be. I've gotten used to relying on subtitles for pretty much everything I watch, but now that I have the Live TV function in Emby working well enough to really start using it, I've noticed there's no option (or at least I haven't been able to find it) to enable subtitles or even CC for live streams.

Is there a plugin that can accomplish this, or perhaps a setting somewhere that I'm missing? I did just notice the attached when returning to my 'Dashboard' after initiating a guide refresh...never saw this before, but it has to be related to Live TV & the guide refresh, right? I do have Open Subtitles & Addic7ed plugins installed, and they seem to work pretty well, but this doesn't seem like it's just a refresh to subtitles for items already in my library. Can anyone shed some light here?

Thanks!

subtitle_guide_download.png

• 10 months later...
Absenm99

I know this is about 10 months later.  But it is still relevant.  Is there going to be closed caption/subtitle support for Live TV.  This is kind of a deal breaker for me personally.  

1 hour ago, Absenm99 said:

I know this is about 10 months later.  But it is still relevant.  Is there going to be closed caption/subtitle support for Live TV.  This is kind of a deal breaker for me personally.  

Hi, If you're in the USA then closed captions is what you're interested in.
Closed captions can be shown right now on some devices but it depends on the settings used.

ffmpeg (transcoder) doesn't support closed captions itself which is why all clients don't have CC available.
We are currently working on many new additions to ffmpeg for use by Emby and this is one of them.

So hopefully in the near future CC will be more generally available throughout the different Emby clients.

• 1 month later...
tenchiowo

Hello, I am also interested and was wondering if there are any clients that currently support it. I have older parents who use emby and its one of the first things they asked about when they were using the live tv feature. 

Thank you for your time, 

S9

15 hours ago, tenchiowo said:

Hello, I am also interested and was wondering if there are any clients that currently support it

Hi.  Our Android TV app will support them as long as your channels can play without transcoding.