recordings starting late due to sleep

sward

Recently it seems that if I put my computer to sleep, the start time for any recordings will be delayed by the exact amount of time computer was in sleep mode. So as an example if I let my computer sleep 20 minutes, then all my recordings will start 20 minutes late, although they still end at the correct time which is strange. Thus what was supposed to be a recording of a one hour show, will only have the last 40 minutes. I have been able to reproduce this. 

Please help as my only solution at this point is to keep my Emby machine up & running 24x7!

I would like my media server to sleep for several reasons, most importantly because it costs money to have it running 24/7, when I only use it for a few hours a day.

I'm attaching full log file as well as a separate log file with only the entries that are relevant to the testing I conducted. How frequently are the firing timers sync'd up with time of day? Seems these timers are based on relative time, versus absolute time.

embyserver-63742519437.txt relevant log entries for test recordings (annotated).txt

Could someone at least tell me how often the firing timers are updated, or does it require a reboot to 'sync' them with system time?

Have you set a scheduled task to sync your system time with a time server? Windows in notorious for not keeping good time.

Yes, my system time syncs with a time server every 4 hours. Just need to do the same with recording timers, or at least know how/when they get updated. I know a reboot resets them, but that isn't ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, nothing's changed. Even after updating to the latest version of Emby server (4.5.4). This is actually a deal-breaker for me, and I will need to find another HTPC software platform if we can't address this. Why should I leave my HTPC on 24x7, when it is only needed 9 or 10 hours a day? This is bad for global warming, while also costing me money and causing unnecessary wear & tear on my computer. Hoping we can resolve this, but also testing other HTPC platforms in case we can't.

@Luke This seems to be an issue that a lot of people have.  The timers are essentially off by the amount of time the computer sleeps in seconds until a task runs to update the timer ticks?

Could this be switched to absolute time or could this update take place on server wake?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, Sammy said:

Anything ever come of this?

Not that I'm aware of.

• 1 month later...

I've come up with a workaround:

• I use a program called SmartPower that provides a GUI for configuring sleep and wake times
  • The SmartPower GUI allows you to name services that can be stopped right before going to sleep, and then started again upon wake; since I installed Emby as a service (using the NSSM freeware program), I found that stopping & starting the service is equivalent to a reboot, and that this fixes the sleep issue with the delayed recording timers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1