Very strange hdd behavior

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

On my desktop that runs Emby and holds my libraries, I used to leave it on 24/7, albeit with a couple of batch script to automatically put it to sleep for the night, and wake it as I wake myself.

For a few months now, I have removed the batch scripts and I instead turn off the server manually before bed, and turn it back on along with morning coffee.

Everyday since then, when I first hit the power button, I invariably get stuck on this error message:

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key

I used to go check the bios Boot settings and sure enough, all 9 mechanical data drives were listed, but the SSD OS C drive wasn't.

Where it gets weird is for the last 2 weeks, I found out that when stuck on the boot error I just hit power once to turn off the pc and hit power again to start,

the start sequence now goes thru normally to Windows.

The drive in question is a Samsung EVO 750 500GB SSD.

Crystal Disk Info rates its health at 94%, with 26k+ running hours.

I realize I need to do a process by elimination (changing data cable, pwr cable, sata port), but what I find unexplainable is this:

While the 1st morning boot always fail, the 2nd attempt always work.

Also, the drive has never failed once Windows is running.

If the problem was a faulty cable/port, it should fail most if not all the time, not just once on cold boot.

PenkethBoy

sounds like a dry joint somewhere that once its been on for a short while it expands and then works

i would look into either the sata cable/ssd/m/b connector being at fault

SHSPVR

Did try a diff sata cable and sata port ? it more likey that the problem is with SSD it self you should clone it ASP and test on a diff system to see if does the same thing or it could be tje sata controller

The reason why take a few try is because your heating up the pcb electrical traces one of could have a weak solder joints