Strange font behaviour

jackthedoc

jackthedoc

A couple of days ago I noticed a very strange “behaviour” in the font displayed when viewing a TV series using Emby Theater on my iPad pro (iPadOS latest iteration 14.2). My server is on a windows 10 machine. 

The summary shown on the server’s dashboard:
Windows server is version 4.5.2.0 and the iPad pro (in active Devices) is shown, precisely, as: Emby%20for%20iOS 2.0.1

When viewing the video file using either an external .srt subtitle file OR an “embedded” subtitle all instances of double f are rendered as tiny ff. For example when rendering “off”, “Geoff”, “effort”, the subtitle was shown as: normal sized o and 2 small f; normal sized geo with tiny ff; normal sized e, o, r and t with tiny ff. So it appears to make no difference if the double f is at the end or in the middle of a word. 

I checked the subtitle rendition on my server machine using VLC 64-bit for windows and there was no sign of a problem. 

Has this issue ever been reported before?  It is no big deal as it doesn’t interfere with the overall enjoyment of the viewing experience BUT it is only a recent phenomenon and annoys me by suddenly appearing when there had been no issue before. 

Does the funny registration format of the iOS app indicate an installation issue?

I await your response with interest. 

PS I will delete then reinstall the app in the meanwhile just to see what that does

regards

john norris

jackthedoc

Thanks for your prompt response.  As I said above, I did actually go ahead and delete and reinstall the app on my iPad Pro.  The problem completely disappered and all letters and symbols are now being rendered as they should.

The iPad is now recognised by the server and the displayed name no longer contains % or other strange strings of characters.

I wonder why the anomaly only affected the ff combination of letters and nothing else?

Again, thanks for responding to my query

John Norris

Australia

The iPad is now recognised by the server and the displayed name no longer contains % or other strange strings of characters.

That is resolved in the 2.0.1 update but may take a little time to occur. The subtitle font size problem is resolved for the next app update.

• 4 weeks later...
jackthedoc

As you can see, there are overlapping letters. I found some other examples while watching the first episode of "The Stand" that were even more distorted but, naturally, when I wanted to sample them, I can't locate them on demand.

As I said earlier, the overlapping letters are not too distracting, but it would be nice to have perfect rendering on the iOS app as well as the other flavours of Emby Theatre

Regards

John Norris

IMG_0800.PNG

IMG_0799.PNG

IMG_0801.PNG

IMG_0798.PNG

4 hours ago, jackthedoc said:

As you can see, there are overlapping letters. I found some other examples while watching the first episode of "The Stand" that were even more distorted but, naturally, when I wanted to sample them, I can't locate them on demand.

As I said earlier, the overlapping letters are not too distracting, but it would be nice to have perfect rendering on the iOS app as well as the other flavours of Emby Theatre

Regards

John Norris

IMG_0800.PNG

IMG_0799.PNG

IMG_0801.PNG

IMG_0798.PNG

What format subtitles? Are they internal or external?

• 3 weeks later...
dunderklumpen
On 12/28/2020 at 10:01 PM, Luke said:

Nevermind, this is resolved for the next app update. Thanks.

I have the same problem with overlapping text on iPad, and since that is my main source for viewing, I look forward to the next update? When do you think that will go live in Appstore?

Thanks.