Support for PCI cards (freeview / freesat) in emby live tv

MALLINDER

MALLINDER

Been using nextpvr as the backend, and have recently purchased emby premium. So nextpvr addon dosent work any more, dont want to sent up another backend. I know about the m3u route and have got that to work. But this still relies on a backend like nextpvr.

I want to move everything across to emby any chance you will add native support for pci tuners as thats what lots of us in the UK use ?

I have a quad TBS tuner (sat)

any chance you will add native support for pci tuners

Hi, yes stay tuned for expanded tuner support in the near future. thanks.

• 6 months later...
MALLINDER

Has there been an update on this, been a few updates now but still wont recognise PCI tuners (I have a quad TBS tuner)

8 minutes ago, MALLINDER said:

Has there been an update on this, been a few updates now but still wont recognise PCI tuners (I have a quad TBS tuner)

HI, not yet but it is still in progress.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I was wondering whether there is any update on this since the last mention in June, when you confirmed again that this was a feature being worked on.

Using Emby has been great, I love it, particularly for for the Live TV but I too have a TBS6904 Quad Card for Satellite and it would be great if Emby supported it natively.  

Currently I have to have another backend server on and connect to them through plugins and find that my channels often fail. It would be great to also be able to use Emby’s EPG which isn’t possible using an external backend and accessing it via plugin.

Seeing as it seems that extending native support to other cards including TBS has been in the works for close to a year, I was wondering whether there is an update on this and I am hoping it will be soon. 

Thank you in advance.

I’d like to also thank you for all the great work.

Hi thank you for the response, good to know it is still in progress, but I was hoping to know whether this is something we can expect soon. Has progress been made since Luke's message above from June? 

Thank you again. 

MALLINDER

I posted the question in Nov 2020, but looks like newer version of server will be released soon and there is no mention of this, so im guessing we have a while yet. I was hoping to use emby and bought premium, but still have to run nextpvr and then use an m3u file, dont want to add another add on (next pvr), they always go out of date and then get no tv until its updated. I just want to use emby and thats it, no other backends, front ends, add ons etc 

Hi, I agree and also am hoping native support for TBS is released soon as it has been suggested, as I too would like to only use Emby without the plugins that aren't that stable. Hopefully we will get a more concrete response soon.

Spaceboy

as a participant in the tv beta testing program i have to ask, is it really still in progress?

the information we received a month or so ago left this in doubt and despite a request for dev comment there has been nothing forthcoming. at best it is on hiatus at the moment

• Agree 1

According to cayars' response earlier today signposting to Luke's post in June I would hope it means it is indeed in progress? @cayarswould you be able to elaborate and provide a more definitive answer? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Marlor

There are a few things to be worked out. Let me try to give you a high level explanation (no particular order of importance).

There is a great deal of really good stuff in the Live TV test version, but the setup is likely overly complex for the average person to use. I think I counted 70 config screens or something like that (depending on what you need to adjust) just for setting up Live TV (nothing to do with DVR). This type of control was important in testing but likely isn't needed for the average user. The UI differs from traditional Emby as this was never really the focus of testing the guts of this.

It surely supports more tuner types at a lower level so that would open up PCI tuner usage on OSes besides windows (for non network tuners) and also do away with WinTV for Hauppauge users just for starters. It's quite fast tuning channels (both hardware and m3u based) which is great, but it's more rigid in what/how it handles streams since it's not using ffmpeg on the input side to "man-handle" the streams. The currently released server is very flexible in stream handling compared to it.

Being that Emby doesn't want to take away features or functionality that currently exists (would be a bad move) we need to "merge" the best of both in some form or fashion.  For example for m3u based streams a possible solution might be to try the new faster method the first time a stream is used and if it fails or is the wrong format record it for the next use and fall back to the conventional method (being used presently). So basically be able to handle these streams through two different pipelines. That's just one possible solution to keep flexibility.

Then of course is working this into the present Emby API so there is less overall changes needed (including client apps) and expanding the API when needed so there is less overall eco- system changes needed.

How this rolls out is another topic. Do you make this a big release and call it Emby 5.0 or do you roll it out in stages over a few betas incorporating different parts in each release, focusing on one part at a time which would allow for smaller changes to UI, API and more focused testing?

Development on something like this works in cycles along with all the other normal things. The team right now has been busy working on other needed features and fixes to keep from getting a big backlog of items needed yesterday. :)

Obviously the goal is to make the transition as smooth as possible for everyone while keeping existing functionality while making things faster and expanding functionality.  The team is of course dedicated to making this happen the best way possible for users long term. Right now some of the architectural decision are being discussed, but rest assured the project is still in progress.

Hope that helps a bit.

Carlo

Hi @cayarsthank you for your long and thorough response, I truly appreciate the long description even if I may not understand some of the detail. It is still sufficient to go away with the knowledge that big change is coming and exciting features are in the pipeline. I appreciate that although the end user will only see the front end, there is a lot of complex work that needs to be undertaken.

I am excited to see these new changes, along side the support for PCIe tuners. Not needing WinTV for full integrated setup is also very exciting. 

I will wait in anticipation and in the meantime, thank you again for such a great response and for all the hard work that you do as well as the rest of the team. 

If you are looking for beta testers please let us know. 

Have a great rest of week and thanks again. 

Edited by Marlor
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
MALLINDER

About to update my media centre, is there any support for PCI cards in server 4.7 ? or shall I still install nextpvr as backend ? Not pushing just asking. Thanks

No, 4.7 does not include any support for this other than Hauppauge tuners also running WinTV software on Windows.

Hi, I would like to know, if possible, whether there is a roadmap for this, and how long we may need to wait. We know it is in progress, but it would be nice to have a timeframe. Currently with the third party backend server, changing channels takes 10 to 15 seconds whereas if I tune it directly in the backend it is nearly instantaneous. Plug-ins haven’t worked well for me so I am using the playlist method. 

As I mentioned elsewhere, I will also be happy to beta test these features if needed.

Thanks.

M

15 minutes ago, Marlor said:

Hi, I would like to know, if possible, whether there is a roadmap for this, and how long we may need to wait. We know it is in progress, but it would be nice to have a timeframe. Currently with the third party backend server, changing channels takes 10 to 15 seconds whereas if I tune it directly in the backend it is nearly instantaneous. Plug-ins haven’t worked well for me so I am using the playlist method. 

As I mentioned elsewhere, I will also be happy to beta test these features if needed.

Thanks.

M

No ETA but it's planned for the future. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, MALLINDER said:

Any update on a time frame for this ?

Hi, no update yet but it is in our plans for future releases. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi, expanded tuner support is planned for future releases. Thanks.