Stuck on 1080p/60Hz on Chromecast with Google TV

dougw03
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

dougw03

Hello,

I recently switched from an Nvidia Shield TV to a Chromecast with Google TV and now cannot get any of my media to play in native 4K. My TV is LG OLED E8 and played 4K content fine with the shield TV. However, now with the Chromecast everything is stuck at 1080p/60Hz. I made sure to select match frame rate and resolution in Emby and my chromecast is set to 4K in Google TV. I tried rebooting but no luck. I've attached my server logs. Thanks 

embyserver.txt

• Solution
14 hours ago, dougw03 said:

...and my chromecast is set to 4K in Google TV.

I'm sure it is just the UI.  Probably just like Android TVs where the UI is in 1080 even though the video is 4K.

dougw03
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I'm sure it is just the UI.  Probably just like Android TVs where the UI is in 1080 even though the video is 4K.

Are you sure? On my shield TV (also running Android TV on the same TV), the display mode says 4K under stats for nerds. I can't seem to find a setting in my LG TV to verify what resolution it's running at. See picture below from playing 4K video on my Chromecast.

PXL_20201130_054138809.MP.jpg

If you have the device set to 4K then, yes, that is probably the issue.  The problem is when we query the display resolution on these devices that only support the UI in 1080, that's what they report even though the video is actually at 4K.  I guess we just need to not display that stat on any device other than the Shield.

pünktchen
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Correct. This is already reported by several Kodi users. No resolution or framerate switching in apps. Regardless of the system setting, apps always report 1080/60. But the display output is the one from the system settings.

dougw03
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you have the device set to 4K then, yes, that is probably the issue.  The problem is when we query the display resolution on these devices that only support the UI in 1080, that's what they report even though the video is actually at 4K.  I guess we just need to not display that stat on any device other than the Shield.

Okay so I found a way to query the resolution from the TV and you were correct that the device is reporting the wrong resolution. It's worth nothing though that the UI is also running at 4K and I was not able to find a menu or item that switched the resolution to 1080p. This is likely an issue on the OEM's end, but agree that Emby should probably not display this stat to avoid confusion.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to hijack this thread, I am googling / searching anything to do with 4k playback issue with the new device Chromecast with Google TV as mine cannot do what yours says it is doing and ebr says it is a limitation of the device - but yours is playing 4K HEVC with 55+ bitrate and HEVC. 

image.png.f4c7ece43f71844b3aa235963fce27db.png

My CCwGTV cant do that and I believe it is because emby does not know the TV is not capable of such audio but still tries to direct play it.

The TV is nowhere near as good as yours, but is 4k.  

On 11/12/2021 at 7:10 PM, vaise said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, I am googling / searching anything to do with 4k playback issue with the new device Chromecast with Google TV as mine cannot do what yours says it is doing and ebr says it is a limitation of the device - but yours is playing 4K HEVC with 55+ bitrate and HEVC. 

image.png.f4c7ece43f71844b3aa235963fce27db.png

My CCwGTV cant do that and I believe it is because emby does not know the TV is not capable of such audio but still tries to direct play it.

The TV is nowhere near as good as yours, but is 4k.  

Hi, is there a question for us?

On 11/30/2020 at 5:47 PM, dougw03 said:

This is likely an issue on the OEM's end, but agree that Emby should probably not display this stat to avoid confusion.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Agreed.

This topic is a year old.  The app no longer shows that line on anything but the Shield.