Best motherboard?

dcook

I am looking to replace my system, I have already bought: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

I have not bought the PowerSupply or Memory chips yet

This machine is only going to have Emby Server installed on it, and using Drivepool, so I would like to have as many SATA connectors as possible

All my viewing is done locally, so not worried about GPU or transcoding

Looking for motherboard recommendations? 

Edited by dcook

PenkethBoy

how many drives do you have / need?

most ryzen boards have 6 sata ports that i have looked at unlike some intels which can have 10 (second sata controller on the board)

any more than six and you are going to need a controller sas/sata depending how many extra disks you need to connect

Note - you are going to need a gpu of some sort as that ryzen does not have a iGPU

I am going to be attaching at least 12 Sata Drives

I am not going to do any GPU encoding so I am not concerned about GPU, regular CPU works fine for me, at most I would have 3 devices streaming at one, and 99% its all direct play, no transcoding.

My original Emby server died after years of use, so right now I reinstalled temporary on a VM and it plays fine, but I don't have any of my storage, which is why I am building a new server with drivepool.

PenkethBoy

well with 12 discs - you are going to have troube findng a m/b that has that many if at all so..

you are going to need a sata/sas card that gives you more ports

and you will need a gpu(even a very basic one) or the pc is not going to boot

Is there a Ryzen 5 motherboard you would recommend? 

If it does not have onboard video, I can add a $20 video card, I also don't mind adding a SATA controller if there is not enough ports on the motherboard

PenkethBoy

any from the main m/b vendors will be fine

just choose one thats has an AM4 socket and the price point and features you need

none will come with video - you will have to provide a gpu card - you have the wrong cpu for an internal gpu

PenkethBoy

Nope no video with your cpu - go google which ryzens have graphic - there are only a handful and not you cpu!

PenkethBoy

for the last time - you dont have a gpu in your cpu

you would need a ryzen ending with a "G" for graphics - the hdmi port is there should you have one of those cpu's - and means nothing if you dont

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
GaryWeiss

In this question, I usually focus on the motherboard chipset, the number of power phases and their cooling. For such a processor, a mid-segment motherboard on the B chipset (be it 350 or 450) and at least one phase of power supply per physical core will be more than enough. Among vendors, I usually prefer MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte

• 1 month later...
Deadsoon

What did you end up getting? I have the Asus x570 tuf gaming WiFi and it’s nice board. Unfortunately graphics cards are way over priced right now even a basic low profile card will set you back $50.

Edited by Deadsoon