Server on Nvidia Shield keeps claiming I either need to update or username/PW is wrong?

Meijinhada
Go to solution Solved by Meijinhada,

Meijinhada

I installed emby on my Synology NAS, but it tends to be kind of loosey goosey with remote streaming at times, so, until I install my newer 1620+, I thought I would try installing a server on my Nvidia Shield and see if that was any better.

Hooo. 

I've tried wiping and re-installing this thing several times now, mostly because of the space limitations on said Shield - I finally gave up and used an old 1TB drive to expand the memory - and now, it's running smoothly for that.  I can reach it on my laptop, no problem.  But if I try to log in with the Android app on my phone?  It flatly refuses.  It either tells me I need to update the server -- which I can't do, seeing as it's the most recently version -- or that my username or password is wrong, which I've tried to rectify a few times, but trying to do "forget password" on the app won't work because it claims I have to be connected to my local network, which I bloody well am.   I just updated the phone app; still no go.  Rebooted the Shield; still not working.  I can log into my Synology server just fine on my phone, but the Shield server just will not let me in, even if I use my Emby Connect account, or manually entering the address.  Both remote AND local addresses, mind.  It just refuses to recognize the server is accessible.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?  Is the Shield server just inherently still a buggy mess and I'm wasting my time?

• 6 months later...
Meijinhada

I actually ended up uninstalling it the server, then went back and re-installed it fresh once I realized I can't transcode on my 1620+, but I really would like to retire my other, older Synology.  I still have the same problem, and now, with three servers across two NAS drives and the Shield, the Android app seems really confused when I try to log in to any of them.  But no matter what I do, it refuses to let me log in to my Shield server remotely, even though I have the port open, clicked every "accept remote connections" setting I can find, and tried using the IP address as well as Emby Connect.  No dice.

Does Emby Connect get confused with multiple servers with the same users?  I used the same username for the main user on each, though the servers have different names.  I did change the usernames, thinking maybe there was a conflict, but still doesn't work, and now I can only log into one of them remotely; the other two give me the "wrong username or password" error, but if I'm on my own network, I can get in just fine.

5 minutes ago, Meijinhada said:

I actually ended up uninstalling it the server, then went back and re-installed it fresh once I realized I can't transcode on my 1620+, but I really would like to retire my other, older Synology.  I still have the same problem, and now, with three servers across two NAS drives and the Shield, the Android app seems really confused when I try to log in to any of them.  But no matter what I do, it refuses to let me log in to my Shield server remotely, even though I have the port open, clicked every "accept remote connections" setting I can find, and tried using the IP address as well as Emby Connect.  No dice.

Does Emby Connect get confused with multiple servers with the same users?  I used the same username for the main user on each, though the servers have different names.  I did change the usernames, thinking maybe there was a conflict, but still doesn't work, and now I can only log into one of them remotely; the other two give me the "wrong username or password" error, but if I'm on my own network, I can get in just fine.

Hi, you've probably blocked them from certain connections, either via user permissions, user device access, or system wide options.

Meijinhada
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, you've probably blocked them from certain connections, either via user permissions, user device access, or system wide options.

But....I haven't.  I've checked the two against the one that works, and they're pretty much all the same settings.   I've barely done anything to those settings that would block anyone.  They all have my Emby key saved to the servers.  Hell, I realized the one server that works didn't even have my Emby Connect name linked to the user, and I had to add it, even though I had been logging in with it with no issue, whereas the other two have it set, and they've been a PITA.  I also didn't even REALIZE I could edit my user outside of the server settings themselves until I tried to figure out just TODAY why my Shield won't connect remotely.  Unless you're telling me there's some new hidden setting somewhere I'm unaware of needing to click, that shouldn't be it.

Meijinhada

I mean, I assume there must be a setting somewhere I'm missing, I just can't figure out what it is.

Hi, Do you have multiple different ports setup for remote entry for each server?

Can you show us what your port forwarding looks like in your router?

• Like 1

Meijinhada

I do, which is what makes it even more puzzling.  I have all three set, ports open, and it works for the other two (well, when the one isn't being weird, anyway).

Hi, can you show us a screen capture of your port forwarding setup?
Maybe we'll see something.

What ports do you have setup for external use for each server?

Meijinhada

It's the same for the other two, just different addresses, but I changed the port for one, kept it as 8096 for the other.  Does it perhaps conflict?

Edited by Meijinhada
Don't want my IP to be visible.

If this is your shield tv it's working remotely.

Meijinhada

No, I still can't log in to it.  Every time I try, it defaults me to one of the other servers.   Maybe I should change the port?  I have a different port set for the first server I had set up, but the second and my Shield both use the same one, and it's the other one that it keeps trying to direct me to log in to.

Happy2Play

If you are doing a remote connect, yes the servers need to be on separate ports and port forwarding for each.

But from a LAN connection this should not matter.

Meijinhada

Yes, once I got the port change to stick.   Wooo!  Thanks, guys.  Hopefully this is now stable for me to work with.

EODCrafter

I wouldn't post your real IP like that....Ask a moderator to delete it.

Meijinhada

Actually, I spoke too soon, it still won't work.  I thought I had it working before I left the house (turned off my wifi, connected, and it was fine), but it still won't connect on cell.  It claims it just can't connect, but I have the port open, it connects to that changed port if I'm on wifi, and it all looks legit.  But it just won't do anything if I'm off my wifi.

Shield CAN do remote streaming connections, right?  Am I wrong in assuming it can?

Edited by Meijinhada

@Meijinhada Would a remote support session where we login to your desktop help you get this resolved, working and tested?

If so, send me a PM (private message, click on my username then send me a message) and we can arrange a time that works for you.

• Solution
Meijinhada

I am quite embarrassed to report that I had forgotten to open the port properly in my router.  DD-WRT has "from" and "to" and I had changed it to the new port in one, but not the other.  Once I fixed that.....it now seems to work.  🤦🏼‍♀️ I haven't tested it yet by leaving the house, but switching off my wifi and running on cell signal, it's connecting so far.

EODCrafter
On 6/6/2021 at 1:07 AM, cayars said:

Hi, Do you have multiple different ports setup for remote entry for each server?

Can you show us what your port forwarding looks like in your router?

JS