Shield 2019 Dolby Vision Black Screen

CBers

CBers

Anyone here with a 2019 Shield connected to a Dolby Vision capable TV that works? 

I have just bought a 2019 Shield Pro, but when I enable the Dolby Vision HDR mode, I lose the picture on my LG C7 TV.

The only way I have worked out how to get the picture back, is to Factory Reset the Shield, although I have since found there may be another way that might work. 

This is not an Emby issue, just asking for any input. 

Thanks. 

arrbee99

Can't help much, but yes.

Shield Pro to Soundbar to Sony TV works fine with Luke Android app including Vision and Atmos. Shield to Sony TV to Soundbar also worked, but not as well with a few issues.

Solutions ? no idea except things you've though of - settings on Shield, settings on TV, trying a different hdmi connector/socket, maybe a different cable...

Is that thing you linked to 5 years old ?

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks @arrbee99.

I have my Shield Pro to my LG soundbar, then to my LG TV and I get a black/blank screen when the DV option is enabled on the Shield. 

If I connect the Shield direct to my TV, I get DV playback, even with the ATV app. 

Yes, that link is 5 years old, but it was supposedly a way of Factory Resetting the Shield, which I've had to do twice now. 

New cables ordered. 

Although, perhaps the soundbar is the issue 🤔

Edited by CBers

arrbee99

What I know (and mostly forgot) about this stuff I probably got from you and others on this forum, but I would guess / hope its just a matter of finding the correct combo of settings. Like wot I mentioned, shield, TV, any settings in ebr's app re passthrough maybe (but that doesn't do Vision, so that irrelevant I guess, unless you're trying that version of exoplayer that does Vision as an external player...).

Have you tried Luke's version. I guess you're TV is pretty new to be able to do Vision, mine is almost 2 years old I think. Soundbar newish ? do specs say anything about this passthough thing and being compatible with Vision (and Atmos maybe ?). My soundbars a Samsung btw.

I think originally when I had Shield > TV > Soundber it wouldn't do any type of HD audio, but might have done Vision, but putting soundbar in the middle and it does both. Don't need to use a specific hdmi port on soundbar or something ?

CBers

As I said, if I connect the Shield direct to my TV, I get DV playback (TV is triggered), even with Eric's ATV app. 

So it works, just not through my soundbar. 

It's the initial enabling of the DV option on the Shield that is the major issue, as I lose connection between the Shield and TV. 

This is even before any Emby app is installed. 

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

As I said, if I connect the Shield direct to my TV, I get DV playback (TV is triggered), even with Eric's ATV app. 

So it works, just not through my soundbar. 

It's the initial enabling of the DV option on the Shield that is the major issue, as I lose connection between the Shield and TV. 

This is even before any Emby app is installed. 

What's your soundbar model? Maybe it does not support DV passthrough.

CBers
Just now, vdatanet said:

What's your soundbar model? Maybe it does not support DV passthrough.

LG. It passes through normal HDR. 

FrostByte
39 minutes ago, CBers said:

LG SJ9

It supports 4K Passthrough (HDCP 2.2). 

"4K and Dolby Vision® video passthrough

The way I read that is LG has DV passthrough available on their soundbars, NOT necessarily that soundbar though.   It also mentions wireless speakers and a few other things which I don't see in the pictures

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

CBers
30 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Have you checked if there's a firmware update for either device?

Yes. 

CBers

OK, so got a couple of new "8K@60Hz,4K@120Hz HDR,3D,Dolby Vision,Dolby Atmos Compatible" HDMI cables and now I can enable the Dolby Vision without losing the picture, but do get flickering. 

Connecting direct to my TV, I don't get the flickering, so possibly a limitation of my soundbar, although could be an Nvidia issue, seeing as this is a new function. 

So, I think the Shield is going back, as not worth the hassle, or money, for a limited HDR format. 

• Sad 1

CBers

Changing the subject, but I'm not sure I like the new Shield remote. 

It's triangular in shape and it sits on its side. 

Not sure🤔

vdatanet
10 minutes ago, CBers said:

Changing the subject, but I'm not sure I like the new Shield remote. 

It's triangular in shape and it sits on its side. 

Not sure🤔

It's worth it for the play/pause button and the volume control, but the Netflix button is positioned in such a way that almost every time I pick up the controller, I hit the Netflix button.

CBers
27 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

the Netflix button is positioned in such a way that almost every time I pick up the controller, I hit the Netflix button

Yes, done that a few times already.