Movie won't appear in library

justwondering

justwondering

I'm trying to add a copy of Trolls (2016) to my library of kids movies, and I can't get it to show up no matter what I do.

Other movies add just fine. It uses the same directory structure and naming convention as my other movies, and I double-checked that the name matches the one in themoviedb. Here's how I'm adding it:

1. Copy the folder containing the movie (over netatalk from my Mac) into the "Kid Movies" directory where all the kid movies are.

2. Normally Emby auto-scans it after that. Just to be sure, I open the control panel from the web client and initiate a full library scan. Wait until it's complete.

3. Open the web client and look at Kid Movies - Latest: nothing. By title: nothing. Search for "Trolls": nothing.

Attached is a log where I did exactly that.

I tried many variations of renaming, copying, deleting, re-scanning, etc., with no joy.

Finally, in desperation, I took another (unrelated) video, changed its name to "Trolls (2016).mp4", and copied it to the library the same way. It works... the movie shows up as "Trolls".

Then, just to see, I copied the real "Trolls (2016).mp4" and overwrote the other file. It's still in the library, and now it plays the correct file! So there's a workaround, and it works for now, but I wonder if you could take a look at the file and see if there's a reason it wasn't working in the first place. It's a pretty typical h.264 mp4 file as far as I can tell. It plays fine on all my media players, no hiccups.

I shared the file in a Dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thxlai7p2ukc2kv/AADHiOcswVi4o9-_76O0bCDva

Thanks!

embyserver.txt

mark-in-dallas

My best guess is that when you're copying the file across the network it is not being copied with permissions that are readable to Emby, so an Emby scan is not able to see it, and when you renamed a file and overwrote the original, you did so with a local file that did have permissions accessible to Emby.

Try copying the file over again and checking the permissions, then changing if necessary.

justwondering
11 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

My best guess is that when you're copying the file across the network it is not being copied with permissions that are readable to Emby, so an Emby scan is not able to see it, and when you renamed a file and overwrote the original, you did so with a local file that did have permissions accessible to Emby.

Try copying the file over again and checking the permissions, then changing if necessary.

Thanks for your help but that's not it. I copied the files the same way every time (over the network, through netatalk from my Mac) and the permissions and owner/group were the same as every other (working) movie, every time.

mark-in-dallas

Okay, then I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than I to offer assistance, because I can't think of anything else.

I did try downloading the file and placing in my movies directory, then scanning, and it did show up in my library and was playable, 

trolls.png.476da71f934eb77fd9c2003328e63df8.png

Edited by mark-in-dallas

mastrmind11

emby is definitely seeing the file, do not sure why it's not showing up in your library

2020-11-28 00:17:35.447 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /mnt/media1/Media/Movies/Trolls (2016)/Trolls (2016).mp4

justwondering

I deleted it from my library and re-added, and now it adds fine. So... I'm now unable to replicate my own problem.

So nevermind, I guess. Sorry if I wasted your time, but thank you for helping!