Movies with DTS don`t work

Dlarge

I took my first steps into the Apple world and wanted to test Emby directly and was unfortunately very disappointed.

why isn't a movie played with DTS? Normally this should be possible without any problems.

Emby plays the movie but I only see a black screen and the busy animation. Emby also seems to almost hang himself. The Issue is on 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 beta.

Edited by Dlarge

vdatanet
10 minutes ago, Dlarge said:

I took my first steps into the Apple world and wanted to test Emby directly and was unfortunately very disappointed.

why isn't a movie played with DTS? Normally this should be possible without any problems.

Emby plays the movie but I only see a black screen and the busy animation. Emby also seems to almost hang himself. The Issue is on 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 beta.

As Apple TV does not support DTS, audio should be remuxed or decoded on the device (like Plex and Infuse), unfortunately Emby for Apple TV requires remux.

I am aware of that and I have Plex and Infuse and everything is going very well there. It's just sad that this doesn't work in Emby.🙄

vdatanet
2 hours ago, Dlarge said:

I am aware of that and I have Plex and Infuse and everything is going very well there. It's just sad that this doesn't work in Emby.🙄

Native player should requiere audio transcoding, but MPV player could decode DTS on device like most software using MPV player. I suspect it's more a legal issue instead of a technical issue to avoid licensing issues. I don't mind remuxing to DTS, but sometimes remuxing to DTS requires a full transcoding, and sometimes, while remuxing HEVC HDR content, you may get green artifacts.

There are some discussion about this:

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Movies with DTS don`t work

it's not 100%, the statement should be:

Movies with DTS require remux

If movies with DTS don't work, we would have to look why.

no we don't have to. Plex can do it without any problems. Infuse is even better, but the Flac coding is a great solution.

So the Emby app is pointless because every 2nd Movie has DTS from BluRay.

• Like 1

vdatanet

Leaving aside if you lose quality when transcoding the audio, I do not want to debate this, I am more concerned about the problems associated with the remux process, especially the one that affects HEVC HDR content. Decoding on the device would avoid these problems.

• Like 1