Emby Server + Zidoo Z9X

bam2000

Hi, im thinking about buying a Zidoo Z9X, but i would love to use the Emby Server on the device for my Phone/tablet video playback and Syncing.

Is it possible to Install the Emby Server on the Zidoo Z9X it has a Realtek RTD1619DR processor.

Can it use the processor power for transcoding videos on the fly and for Syncing?

Thanks

Thanks but is this the emby server ? I want to use kodi with emby addon for playback on the device and just need the emby server for handling my files on mobile

clarkss12

I have the Zidoo X9S, that I could test.  It is boxed up, since I never use it.  If you want me to test the capabilities of it as an Emby server, I can do that.

That would be awesome to know, but the x9s is using an older version of android if I rember correctly. But I mean if it is working on your device is guess it should work with the newer and android 9 as well.

vdatanet
3 hours ago, bam2000 said:

Thanks but is this the emby server ? I want to use kodi with emby addon for playback on the device and just need the emby server for handling my files on mobile

Ooops I misread the post, I was talking about the client not the server. Sorry.

clarkss12
4 hours ago, bam2000 said:

That would be awesome to know, but the x9s is using an older version of android if I rember correctly. But I mean if it is working on your device is guess it should work with the newer and android 9 as well.

I will test it later today or tomorrow.

clarkss12

The Emby server has no issues installing.  However, like all the other Android boxes I have tested as an Emby server, none of them can access the networked storage devices, EXCEPT the Nvidia Shield.  The Shield has a setting to "mount" the networked drives.

So, if you plan on accessing media from your network, and not from a connected external HDD, then this would not be a good device for that purpose.

However, IF your media IS stored on external drives, connected directly to your Zidoo box, then it MAY work.   If that is the case, I will attach an external HDD and continue testing it's ability to transcode your media on the fly.

One more thing, as I am sure you are aware, the Zidoos have OpenWRT as a sub system.  Not sure if it can be setup to mount your external networked devices so they can be accessed by the Emby server.

Thanks for testing so far, installation working sounds good, right now I don't have a nas so yes I would connect the devices direct to the zidoo, would love to know if transcoding is working. 

Yes it could be possible to mount a network device directly, i mean the device also have root so almost everything should be possible :)

Edited by bam2000

clarkss12

Unfortunately, the Zidoo Media player does not work as a sever or a good player...  It scrapped the media very fast, but I keep getting "too many errors giving up".  I tested as a client/server, and also as just a server with client on a different device.

Actually, I was quite surprised that is did not work as a server, but I had never tested the server running on a Realtek RTD1295 SoC.

Okay well that is a shame, but thank you soo much for all the testing. Good to know so I'm better of going with a nvidia shield. Might the shield 2019 non pro work with emby server ? Because this device doesn't work with plex server. Would love to know if it is the same with emby.

I mean the shield tv tube :)

clarkss12

Yes, the Shield would be a better buy..........

I haven't used my Zidoo in a couple of years............  Too many devices that are much less expensive that can do everything the Zidoo does EXCEPT 3D, from my understanding..  Since I do not need 3D, it collects dust.......  It is definitely NOT a good Emby server.  I have used $40 devices for the Emby server and they work.......

Okay I guess I will try my luck with the shield. Sadly it can't play uhd iso with menus. Do you know a good device for that ? Should have dolby vision 3d movies is not required, don't have a tv for that;)

clarkss12

Don't be disheartened...  I have run the Emby server on a lot of different low cost, low powered devices running different OS's...........  This particular video that I am showing you, is a sub $40 Android box running the Emby server under Linux.

clarkss12
1 hour ago, bam2000 said:

Okay I guess I will try my luck with the shield. Sadly it can't play uhd iso with menus. Do you know a good device for that ? Should have dolby vision 3d movies is not required, don't have a tv for that;)

You are correct, the Zidoo's are one of the few devices that supports ISO's with menus.  I have a few ISO's that I check different devices occasionally, to see if they can play  with the Menus.