.avi transcoding

gnollo

25 minutes ago, cayars said:

They are transcoding because "Subtitle format not supported" per the SFN (stats for nerds) screen.

But I am not watching with subtitles?

Play it again but take an actual screen shot vs just copying the info which will make it much easier to read.

Much better thanks.  Yes this is showing obviously the reason for the transcode is that BOTH the audio and video codecs aren't supported.

So I converted all of my DVD collection because Emby stopped playing VIDEO_TS folder, using MakeMKV, so it would keep the highest quality possible, only to find out that Emby would transcode it, making it (to my eyes at least) not watchable?

Oh well, there is no going back from there. So back to my original question. Are there any plans to make Direct Play of AVI and MKV created using MakeMKV? Like I said earlier on MRMC and Infusion already support that. So I have a solution already which does not involve the Emby client. But I prefer the look and feel and functionality of the Emby client.

pwhodges
On 29/11/2020 at 14:53, cayars said:

If it was a low bitrate file to begin with there isn't enough pixels and data present to pull off a "near" quality conversion.

I find this an odd thing to say.  The transcoding is simply making a representation of the decoded original, and this can be as near perfect as you like, depending on the bit rate assigned.  In this case the transcoding is generating a substantially higher bit rate then the original (6.0Mbps) while using a much more efficient codec, so I find it puzzling that such an encoding could be described (as it has been) as "unwatchable".  Either the OP's standards are beyond my imagining, or there is something seriously wrong with the encoding in his system.  It could be the first, of course, but I would have thought that someone with standards that high would have moved from DVDs to BDs by now!

Is it possible to customise the transcoding (maybe in the config file) to force the use of a higher quality than the default?

I'm also puzzled because the latest input from the OP seems to say that Emby could play the video stream when it was in TS files, but has to transcode now the same stream is in MKV files.  This seems more likely to be a change in codec support regardless of the packaging, and is presumably down to the capabilities of the current version of a specific client.  It would be interesting to have a comparison of the behaviour using other clients, e.g. web or iOS.

Paul

vdatanet

Exoplayer does not support H222 files, Fire TV neither, so transcoding is mandatory. Infuse supports H222 software decoding, so you can direct play those files. The new version of exoplayer modified by Emby, supports software decoding, I don't know if it is planned to decode H222 by software. @Luke can you confirm that?

Anyway, I have H222 content that is perfectly transcoded, (well video is as bad as the original 😀)

Edited by vdatanet

Paul what I meant is that usually when you get a bad looking picture that's been transcoded it's because of the original.  If it's a low bitrate original it's already lacking in quality, maybe because it's already been over compressed during conversion or maybe because it's a transcode of something that was already converted or transcoded once before.  Each conversion/transcode DOES take a hit in quality.

Generally speaking when talking about AVI files or DVD remuxes you're in SD quality video to start with so you already have a lower pixel count then full HD or 4K material and many of them used divx or mpeg4 codecs as well which don't hold nearly as much data per bitrate as mp4 or hevc does.

pwhodges

Right. Obviously transcoding cannot improve things - I misread your assertion as suggesting that it couldn't handle a low bit-rate as well, which would be odd.

@gnolloIs there any chance you could do screen captures playing the same file through your other program and through Emby, so we can see the change of quality that makes it unwatchable for you?

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

I will try to record a quick clip of the opening scene on my 50 inch Panny plasma with MRMC vs Emby for Fargo so you can see the difference.

I will be using a FireHD box to playback both. It will be done tonight (in 10 hour time)

• Like 1