Interlaced live TV always transcoding now

clarkss12

clarkss12

Server version 4.6.0.6,. Client version 1.8.54g.  no closed captions while playing on Nvidia shield.  Closed captions work using the HD home run app.

Can we please look at a specific example?  If the channel is transcoding, the closed captions will be lost.

clarkss12

Tested the CC on two channels, one is a 720p channel, and the second one a 480i channel........  The CC has always been working, not sure what has changed.  Again, this is playing on Nvidia Shield.

Nvidia Shield transcoding (1).jpg

Nvidia Shield transcoding (2).jpg

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

Using the stable server version, the CC works, and the beta version of the server has been working until I noticed it a couple of days ago.  I always use CC because my hearing is not that great.

stable version (1).jpg

stable version (2).jpg

The ones without them are transcoding.

17 hours ago, ebr said:

If the channel is transcoding, the closed captions will be lost.

clarkss12
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

The ones without them are transcoding.

But, that is the question, WHY are they transcoding, they never used to transcode.........  Not sure when this started.

vdatanet

In server beta 4.6.0.6, if direct play for live tv is not enabled, then interlaced content is transcoded. In general, no direct play interlaced content is transcoded. In some situations while stream copying interlaced content, frames are lost:

This is an example of something that can be good for someone and bad for others. Maybe a server option "Allow streaming of interlaced content Yes / No" is worthwhile.

Edited by vdatanet

clarkss12

Closed captions still not working under the beta server.  The only way I can get closed captions to display, is to force direct play under the live TV heading under settings. 

However, when I enable "direct play live TV", I can no longer pause the live TV stream.

Anyone that has an Android device and has live TV using an HD home run tuner, can verify this.  I cannot watch TV without closed captions.

pünktchen

Do you have seek mode (timeshift) enabled in the app? Then it's probably because of this change in the release notes:

• Fix interlaced video being incorrectly stream copied with HLS
  • Like 1

clarkss12

My CC are still not working, UNLESS I select Direct Play, then I lose the pause/play function.  Is this the way it is going to stay when you port it to a stable version? 

Does anyone on her watch live TV that uses closed captions AND use the pause/play function??

Right now, I am trying to watch "The Jefferson's" on my Nvidia Shield, it is Transcoding so NO closed captions.  To add salt to the wound, the video quality is horrible, see attached photo, and the photo looks better than what I see on the TV

Maybe my memory is not good, but I thought closed captions AND pause/play worked at the same time......  NOW I have to choose between CC or pause/play function....  Can't have both.  Is this the way is will always be??

20201205_171419.thumb.jpg.ae81fc554c46c0fae1dbc3847189dcfa.jpg

16 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

My CC are still not working, UNLESS I select Direct Play, then I lose the pause/play function

As explained previously, that is expected right now.  The server changed how it is handling interlaced content as - strictly from the spec - this is not supported in HLS.  We are investigating the best course of action here.

clarkss12
2 hours ago, ebr said:

As explained previously, that is expected right now.  The server changed how it is handling interlaced content as - strictly from the spec - this is not supported in HLS.  We are investigating the best course of action here.

Sorry, either I forgot or did not understand...................

On 12/5/2020 at 6:46 AM, pünktchen said:

Do you have seek mode (timeshift) enabled in the app? Then it's probably because of this change in the release notes:

• Fix interlaced video being incorrectly stream copied with HLS

Yes. In AndroidTV I have "Direct Play Live TV" unchecked in the Live TV Settings. Otherwise, time shift is not possible.

It is still transcoding Live TV which disallows CC's to be displayed. Maybe @ebr, @Luke or @softworkz can take a look at my logs?

Edited by Sammy

vdatanet

If you have "Direct play Live TV" unchecked, then video will be transcoded for deinterlacing:

Thanks for the Clarification, @vdatanet. I haven't been following along the beta server thread but have been beta testing Live TV which seems to be on hold for whatever reason. I'm not liking that the server is now transcoding Live TV so I don't have CC's any longer. I think I'll roll back because this stable server release hasn't brought any improvements for me but rather has regressed to where we were over a year ago for Live TV CC's. Frankly I feel this is a show stopper and the Server RC should never have gone to Stable with this issue present.

@ebr, Is any fix in the works for this?

• Like 1

BTW,  Where can I get the installer for the previous version? It is not on the git nor on the Emby Downloads Page.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit curious why this is changed for SHIELD since it has settings you can use to deinterlace on the box itself?

This had always worked just fine previously with CC, deinterlacing and being able to pause.

• Like 1

I understand it's transcoded on the server but why is it being done for devices that don't need it is my question.  A few android devices can deinterlace  themselves if needed which is less resource use on the server, allows pausing and still supports closed captions.  This has always worked but now with the recent change these devices take a hit in functionality (either CC or pause is lost) plus the server is performing a task that isn't needed using resources and degrading quality of the video.

vdatanet
Just now, cayars said:

I understand it's transcoded on the server but why is it being done for devices that don't need it is my question.  A few android devices can deinterlace  themselves if needed which is less resource use on the server, allows pausing and still supports closed captions.  This has always worked but now with the recent change these devices take a hit in functionality (either CC or pause is lost) plus the server is performing a task that isn't needed using resources and degrading quality of the video.

I have interlaced content that when it's delivered as HLS (due a remux), it's not playable, even in a shield, Apple HLS specs say that interlaced content must be de-interlaced when delivering it as HLS.

Yes for HLS content I get that. But what I'm saying is that it now forces the transcode/HLS when this wasn't needed previously.

Watching sports that get forced to transcode is far from optimal. As previously said we didn't have a problem with this before and never needed forced transcoding on devices like the shield and other ATV devices.

Edited by cayars

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Apple HLS specs say that interlaced content must be de-interlaced when delivering it as HLS.

That is an Apple-specific limitation.  The HLS spec does not prohibit this and, if the receiving device can handle it, then it is fine.  Apple devices cannot but Android TV ones can.

• Like 1