Swap L/R Channels

fizzyade

fizzyade

This is going to sound like a very odd request, but any chance of having an option in the client to say "Swap Left & Right channels".

The reason for this is that I have a SONOS BEAM which is used on a projector, because of this the beam is fixed to the ceiling and is therefore upside down.  It's not possible in SONOS to fix this, I currently have a very hacky solution which involves a raspberry pi, but it's not great and I suffer with drop outs.

If I could select swap left/right on the projectors emby player then all my problems would go away.  The projector is only ever used with Emby so this would be a global fix for me.

fizzyade
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

On many platforms this would require transcoding in order to accomplish.

Yeah, that doesn't actually bother me though, and it's something I would have expected anyway.

Left and Right being the wrong way round with my setup is the much bigger problem here for me.  It's something I've seen posted about quite a bit on the SONOS community because flexson make a ceiling mount (which is exactly what I have), but there's no option in the settings to swap left and right, despite many people asking about it.

I've even considered making a device that acts as a fake ARC TV with HDMI in for the audio and HDMI ARC to the beam (the beam only supports ARC, otherwise this would be easy enough to workaround).  I even did some test code, but then my father passed away and I've been unable to get back to that project so am looking for something off the shelf to handle it.

fizzyade

I also realise this isn't your issue, it's mine and Sonos, but I was hoping given how awesome you guys are that you may be able to do something.

GrimReaper
On 11/26/2020 at 3:31 AM, fizzyade said:

I could select swap left/right on the projectors emby player then all my problems would go away.  The projector is only ever used with Emby so this would be a global fix for me.

What kind of OS does your projector run? Since it has Emby app? Is it an Android projector? 

fizzyade
Just now, GrimReaper76 said:

What kind of OS does your projector run? Since it has Emby app? Is it an Android projector? 

It's Android, it's a Philips picopix Max.

GrimReaper

Then you might enable Use External Player in Emby, install MX Player and swap channels there, as you can Reverse stereo there. That should give you the result you're looking for. 

• Like 1

fizzyade
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Then you might enable Use External Player in Emby, install MX Player and swap channels there, as you can Reverse stereo there. That should give you the result you're looking for. 

I hadn't considered that.  If it works I guess it's a workaround until I can figure out some way of properly handling it, I've played with the external player before and I missed having the nice emby interface while playing.

Thanks for the tip though!  I will have a go when we go to bed.

fizzyade
3 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

why not just turn the BEAM around?

The sound would be directed straight up into the ceiling and away from us, then there's cable issues as well.

The flexon bracket I have mounts the beam upside down.image.thumb.png.667cdddd569658d9517b161052b38c86.png

mastrmind11

gorilla tape works great for stuff like this, and (fun fact) the logo looks the same upside down or right side up

• Haha 1

GrimReaper
Just now, mastrmind11 said:

gorilla tape works great for stuff like this, and (fun fact) the logo looks the same upside down or right side up

I was just flipping my cell thinking about same thing. 😊

• Haha 1

fizzyade
Just now, ebr said:

Modify the bracket/mounting?

That's not really a possibility, it would require something quite ugly to drop the bracket down so that the bracket had enough space to mount the other way around with the beam above the mount instead of below.  I have to get these changes, signed off, sealed and rubber stamped by the wife!

• Like 1

fizzyade
1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I was just flipping my cell thinking about same thing. 😊

It's something that people have asked about for a long time with the beam, the ability to swap left and right for this very reason....and they normally point out that the thing is built for it because the logo is an ambigram.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, fizzyade said:

I have to get these changes, signed off, sealed and rubber stamped by the wife!

Yeah, I feel your pain, mate. Heads up. 👍

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, fizzyade said:

It works, but it's far from ideal.  I'm considering other solutions.

Don't know what's your Picopix audio out ports, you could either insert this to HDMI output (if any):

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converts-Digital-Signal-Analog/dp/B01KW3MU1G

or standard 3.5mm to 2-male RCA cable on Headphones out (if any, but likely there is):

https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-25-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-2RCA-STE-25/dp/B000I20ACS?th=1&psc=1

and then connect it to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087TR4M23/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

going to your Sonos, while swapping L & R channels on output/input. 

Edited by GrimReaper76

fizzyade
46 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Don't know what's your Picopix audio out ports, you could either insert this to HDMI output (if any):

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converts-Digital-Signal-Analog/dp/B01KW3MU1G

or standard 3.5mm to 2-male RCA cable on Headphones out (if any, but likely there is):

https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-25-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-2RCA-STE-25/dp/B000I20ACS?th=1&psc=1

and then connect it to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087TR4M23/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

going to your Sonos, while swapping L & R channels on output/input. 

Cheers.

Yeah, but that only works in stereo, I'm (and probably should have said this at the start) looking to swap left and right on 5.1

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, fizzyade said:

Cheers.

Yeah, but that only works in stereo, I'm (and probably should have said this at the start) looking to swap left and right on 5.1

Yeah, that would've been handy info. 😉

Edit: So, what's your Picopix audio out? HDMI? 

Edited by GrimReaper76

fizzyade
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Yeah, that would've been handy info. 😉

Edit: So, what's your Picopix audio out? HDMI? 

It has only bluetooth for the built in player (which is really the only fault I can level at it, it's designed to be a portable projector but we use it fixed).

I am going to use an external source (either a shield or a 4k fire tv) to feed the projector via a hdmi splitter, one output to the picopix and one to the Sonos beam.  The beam only accepts an ARC signal, but it comes with an adaptor to feed a optical signal in and I assume fake an ARC signal.

You can't feed a straight HDMI signal into the beam, it won't accept it, it only accepts the ARC signal hence the need to use a HDMI->SPDIF adaptor with the Sonos optical adaptor.             

/--> HDMI to SPDIF -> Sonos Beam Optical to HDMI Adaptor -> Sonos Beam
Shield -> HDMI splitter ->
                           \--> Picopix Max

Thanks for your responses!

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, fizzyade said:

It has only bluetooth for the built in player (which is really the only fault I can level at it, it's designed to be a portable projector but we use it fixed).

I am going to use an external source (either a shield or a 4k fire tv) to feed the projector via a hdmi splitter, one output to the picopix and one to the Sonos beam.  The beam only accepts an ARC signal, but it comes with an adaptor to feed a optical signal in and I assume fake an ARC signal.

You can't feed a straight HDMI signal into the beam, it won't accept it, it only accepts the ARC signal hence the need to use a HDMI->SPDIF adaptor with the Sonos optical adaptor.             

/--> HDMI to SPDIF -> Sonos Beam Optical to HDMI Adaptor -> Sonos Beam
Shield -> HDMI splitter ->
                           \--> Picopix Max

Thanks for your responses!

But wouldn't that still leave you with channels not reversed? 

fizzyade
1 hour ago, GrimReaper76 said:

But wouldn't that still leave you with channels not reversed? 

yes.  Hence this request!