Roku App Ignores Quality Settings

knitowskimedia

knitowskimedia

I'm having an issue where I'll set which version of a movie I want to watch, and when I select a chapter it just plays the default. This happens with quality and with subtitles. Emby at one point for some reason decided to start playing subtitles that were not default, and would keep playing subtitles every time I started playback until one time it actually listened to my settings. I'm not sure what changed to get it to play back correctly. On a (different) show I would set the version, audio, and subtitles and it would just play the defaults. I then backed out of playback and hit play again and Emby played the correct version.

I have noticed this. Is this just chapters that isn't playing correctly when selecting different versions?

On 11/25/2020 at 5:59 PM, knitowskimedia said:

I'm having an issue where I'll set which version of a movie I want to watch, and when I select a chapter it just plays the default. This happens with quality and with subtitles. Emby at one point for some reason decided to start playing subtitles that were not default, and would keep playing subtitles every time I started playback until one time it actually listened to my settings. I'm not sure what changed to get it to play back correctly. On a (different) show I would set the version, audio, and subtitles and it would just play the defaults. I then backed out of playback and hit play again and Emby played the correct version.

When this happens did you add new items and let the real-time monitor discover them? You added multiple versions this way to an existing movie but had not run a full library scan? Is this correct?

I am suspect that after the real-time monitor adds items to versions it is different than when library scan adds items to versions. If running a full library scan lets you suddenly select all the versions and play them correctly please let us know.

Edited by speechles

knitowskimedia

This behavior persists after a full library scan. Some content I am noticing says 4k under video, but has the audio options for 1080p showing, and plays the 1080p version when play is pressed. If I go and select 4k, then the audio field populates correctly and the 4k version plays, but if i select a chapter then the 1080p (default?) starts playing. Other content correctly populates the video and audio names.

Curiously, Emby will not play the Marvel Studios Opening logo in 4k. The audio plays, but no video, and then at the same point the loading bar pops up and never moves. If I skip past this point the audio will play until the logo ends, and then the video starts. It does this for both Infinity War (which starts with the logo) and endgame (which does not start with the logo, but the logo stays black and cuts to loading at the same point). These are the only two marvel films I have in 4k, but they playback fine on my other devices, only the roku gives me trouble.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, knitowskimedia said:

This behavior persists after a full library scan. Some content I am noticing says 4k under video, but has the audio options for 1080p showing, and plays the 1080p version when play is pressed. If I go and select 4k, then the audio field populates correctly and the 4k version plays, but if i select a chapter then the 1080p (default?) starts playing. Other content correctly populates the video and audio names.

I don't know if anyone has ever tested this but does the same thing happen in the web client?  I guess the question here is are Chapters version dependent as the UI is not showing by versions.

11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I don't know if anyone has ever tested this but does the same thing happen in the web client?  I guess the question here is are Chapters version dependent as the UI is not showing by versions.

A direct chapter entry should play the selected version.

knitowskimedia

I've now tried both the web app and the android app, both behave the same way as the roku app, ignoring the selected version when playing a chapter.

1 hour ago, knitowskimedia said:

I've now tried both the web app and the android app, both behave the same way as the roku app, ignoring the selected version when playing a chapter.

Are you talking about a chapter from the detail screen? or picking a chapter during video playback?

Happy2Play

So this would imply the itemdetails chapter section only applies to one version just like the majority of all displayed info.  There is no dynamic change to the UI when specific version is highlighted/selected.  But honestly I believe this is the first time this scenario has been brought up.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

So this would imply the itemdetails chapter section only applies to one version just like the majority of all displayed info.  There is no dynamic change to the UI when specific version is highlighted/selected.  But honestly I believe this is the first time this scenario has been brought up.

Unfortunately, having the multi version feature be a purely synthetic front end implementation seems to come with these types of drawbacks.

Another example is that secondary versions are completely invisible as items when retrieving through the User/Items api endpoint.

It also breaks the parental control feature:

Edited by roaku

4 minutes ago, roaku said:

Unfortunately, having the multi version feature be a purely synthetic front end implementation seems to come with these types of drawbacks.

Another example is that secondary versions are completely invisible as items when retrieving through the User/Items api endpoint.

It also breaks the parental control feature:

It doesn't break anything nor would it be synthetic. We'll help you in your other topic. Thanks. 

@knitowskimedia can you please re-try the release version of the app and confirm you still have this problem?  Please confirm the version number in the settings page before testing.

Also, can you confirm if the version selection works properly when just playing normally (not selecting a chapter).

Thanks.

When you play that file and stop halfway through does it generate a resume point to continue watching from? If you try to continue from that point does it resume properly or start from the beginning? It might be the header of the container (I am suspect this is an MKV) throwing off the Roku regarding runtime length. It might think it must start at the beginning always. If this is the problem running that file through MKClean  or MKVToolNix GUI will fix it. A simple remux from MKV to MKV correcting the header only. Doing this will remove from the header any compression and strip any extra data not pertinent to playback that can cause problems.

If it does allow you to resume is there anywhere you can share that sample file with us? DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc.. With the file we can reproduce and determine how to proceed.

Happy Holidays! ^_^

Edited by speechles

15 hours ago, knitowskimedia said:

In 4.0.4 and there is no change. Still plays defaults from chapter select.

Can you confirm that the version shown as selected is actually the one that is?  You can do this by going to that field and dropping down the list.  Is the one selected in the list also the one shown above it?

I suspect the problem here is actually that the display is just wrong...

knitowskimedia

The file chapter select won't play is an mkv, that has been already been run through mkvtoolnix (I added an audio track). The file that chapter select is instead playing is an mkv I ripped from a bluray using makemkv. Resume points are being generated playing both version files, and they work with both version files.

That being said, as far as I can tell, it does this with every video file on my server. Whether the Movie or tv episode has multiple files or just different audio tracks or subtitle options.

This behavior happens on roku, web app, emby theater for windows, and android. Haven't checked anything else.

If I press resume it plays correctly, if I just hit play and watch from the beginning it plays correctly,  if I select a chapter it does not.

I have noticed some display oddities. On movies with a 4k and 1080p version it will show 4k for video but the 1080p file's audio options. When pressing play the 1080p file plays. If I go switch to 4k then the correct 4k audio options populate and it plays the 4k file, but if I use chapter select the 1080p file (default) still plays. On some files with subtitles the default subtitles will not select until I have selected another subtitle track first (seems to be only with ssa or ass subtitles). After selecting the other subtitle track I can then change the file to the default subtitle track. Additionally, on another show, the default file doesn't have subtitles, when switching to the other version which does, no subtitle options appear, nor do they play. They do however show up on other emby clients, just not roku. These are also .ass subtitles. Note that this paragraph only applies to the roku app, other clients don't have the issues described in this paragraph.

Edit: addition information about subtitle issues added to the last paragraph

Edited by knitowskimedia
added additional information to the last paragraph

4 hours ago, knitowskimedia said:

I have noticed some display oddities. On movies with a 4k and 1080p version it will show 4k for video but the 1080p file's audio options. When pressing play the 1080p file plays.

Hi. That's exactly what I was asking here:

7 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you confirm that the version shown as selected is actually the one that is?  You can do this by going to that field and dropping down the list.  Is the one selected in the list also the one shown above it?

That is just a display issue and I'm wondering if that is all this is (but perhaps not...).

knitowskimedia

Right, however after selecting the correct version it still plays the default if I use chapter select. However, after doing the same thing if I simply hit play it plays the new selection. So, after changing the version to the one I want, hitting play plays the new selection, while chapter select plays the default.

On 12/7/2020 at 2:29 PM, knitowskimedia said:

Right, however after selecting the correct version it still plays the default if I use chapter select. However, after doing the same thing if I simply hit play it plays the new selection. So, after changing the version to the one I want, hitting play plays the new selection, while chapter select plays the default.

Are you pressing the Play button on your Roku remote when selecting a chapter? If so that is the problem. Pressing Play on your Roku remote will do the same as just navigating to the Play button and pressing it. It doesn't play the chapter it starts at the beginning. This is a known issue with the Play button on the Roku remote because of how intents and actions work presently.

Can you play the proper chapter when you press OK on your Roku remote instead?

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

But the chapter row is only for one version correct?  Or is it version dependent on selected version?  My current understanding is no UI info is version specific.