Android mobile playback hang/stuck with internal player

EvilxBanana
Go to solution Solved by sooty234,

EvilxBanana

Recently I've encountered many playback issues with the android mobile app with the internal player. Very often it cannot start to play. Sometimes it will randomly stuck during playback, and the app need to be restarted.

I've tried to use external player (using mpv), it starts very fast and it's very reliable. Problem 1: It cannot auto record progress. 2: If the episode already been watched (by webapp or by internal player previously) and needs to start from the middle, it either start from the beginning and works fine, or it will start from the middle but the audio is missing.

So currently there's no way for me to use the app on android.

I've done some testing, please refer to the serverlog.

02:41, using external player, it works and starts very fast.

02:50, internal player, cannot start.

02:54, internal player, started, then stuck.

embyserver (3).txt

I am also having the same issue on multiple mobile Android devices. I can stream fine in a browser or external player but after the latest update to the android app I can play a few seconds before a freeze or it will not start at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2020 at 00:37, EvilxBanana said:

Actually the problem still persist with the test version. Guess I'll have to use external player then.

Did you ever find a solution to this, I am still having a lot of playback issues with the internal player? Skip forward and back just hang until the app closes itself, direct play will not work for more than a couple of minutes until black screen and app restart required. 

Auto play seems to work but still has the same issues with skip forward and back.

Same content will play normally on browser or other apps.

EvilxBanana

I'm still having the same problem. Mostly it's unable to play for shows from "continue watching". So now I'm using external player to play the shows and have to manually mark progress. 

Last time I uploaded a server log but it has 0 downloads after one day. So I guess this is a known problem to the devs maybe. 

Ok thanks, yes, I am having the continue watching issue also.

It is also on the test version, out of curiosity what device are you using as my Pixel 5 seems ok with the test version and my Samsung S5e tablet has the same issues with both the release and test version?

Hmm, after a fresh install the tablet is actually working fine with the test version now.

Curious you are having issues with the test as well as the release too.

EvilxBanana

OK I'll test again. So you are using the latest test version? Fresh install means uninstall then install test version right?

sooty234

I believe that I am now experiencing the same issue. I pretty much only use the mobile app to listen to music at work. It's been working just fine, until last week. When listening to an album, I'll start playing the first track, that track plays through but a short time into the second track it freezes and playback can't be resumed. Something that I noticed was that the progress bar stops a few seconds into the second track. Then eventually so to does the playback. I was just testing this while watching the server dashboard, and it mirrored the action, i.e. progress bar stopped at the same position. And once the playback stopped, the dashboard reported it still playing. It stopped at around 11.52am and playing Blood Machines Theme.

d688040b-5457-41ef-b89f-c120e4bc7cbc.log

embyserver.txt

UPDATE:

Also happens with downloaded music. Works correctly in the web app.

Edited by sooty234

EvilxBanana

Tested again and still cannot play shows in "continue watching". Don't know what's the reason but the forum was not helping also. The client behave the same with forum actually: you expect something will happen but actually it just stuck there and nothing happens.

I guess whenever I purchase a lifetime product sooner or later this will happen. First megaupload, then plex, then this. 

sooty234
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

Seems to be working just fine from here. Is it limited to certain types of content?

I'm not sure. I've only been playing music. As far as I'm aware, no other media is automatically queued like music is. So testing parameters would be different.

sooty234

Plays correctly on my tablet. It's old, android 7. I believe it plays correctly on shield, too. So maybe and android update? My phone is more up to date that the other devices I have. My phone has all the latest updates.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Seems to be working just fine from here. Is it limited to certain types of content?

I thought the beta version was working but still had the same playback issues today for video.

Also on newer devices with all the updates and Android 10 and 11.

Continue playing and any kind or skip back or forward crashes the app and have to restart in order to keep playing.  I can continue playing if I select auto but if I try and direct play the continue playback will not start.  Skip back and forward seems to crash on direct and auto.

sooty234

I just left the beta program and rolled back to .64. My music appears to be playing correctly again. I'll see if that lasts...

EvilxBanana

Based on some feedback from above,  it seems the app functions better after fresh install, then later problem will come back. So what's the difference between a freshly installed app and an "old" app? I'll guess something changed in the app that caused the problem.

Please have a look at what the app is doing during the loading ? External player can load very fast. There must be something that the internal player needs to do before it can start playing, which external player don't need to do. Then there also must be something that internal player is doing during the playback that may stuck the player, which also never happens to external player.

sooty234
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Please try with 3.1.69 once available and let me know how that compares. thanks.

I just dropped it in. No change. Though I didn't uninstall, first. You need logs? Are you now able to reproduce?