Seperate '4K / UHD Movie' Library Content Type

Fender1978
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Fender1978

Hello,

I already have a Movies library for 1080p content however, I would like to add another Movies library for UHD (4K) content.

Currently, if I create another Movies library with the title, UHD Movies, each UHD movie that also has an identically titled counterpart in the original Movies library for 1080p content shares the same play status progress and subsequently, 2 thumbnail images are displayed on the homescreen under the Continue Watching heading. One which is linked to the 1080p movie, and another for the UHD movie.

Is there any way to disassociate the movie libraries by creating a library content type for us called 4K Movies or UHD Movies that will contain it's own unique play state information?

Or, allow us to name our own content type to create the split which we will also then select it's parent content type from the existing list.

Many thanks 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

Playback status is not tracked by path.  It is tracked by providerid (ie IMDB, TMDB, TVDB).  So if media is ever moved you do not loose played state.  So there is no way to disassociate them in Continue Watching.

Only current option would probably be the CoverArt plugin adding treatment and media Info icons.

Is there a reason you don't do Multi Versioning?  I you want separate folder you and use the Multi Version plugin.

arrbee99

Does that imply they could be kept separate by identifying Top Gun 4K with indb and Top Gun with tmdb ?

Happy2Play
23 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Does that imply they could be kept separate by identifying Top Gun 4K with indb and Top Gun with tmdb ?

In theory yes.  But that would be on you, as one item would have to have only IMDBid and the other only TMDBid.  So the item ids would not have the same providerid.

id1.jpg.9d16df9249f8b365b3bfb81330baa7a9.jpg

id.jpg.d20436e25d596ef4acf0dda9800dddfa.jpg

• Like 2

Fender1978
6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Playback status is not tracked by path.  It is tracked by providerid (ie IMDB, TMDB, TVDB).  So if media is ever moved you do not loose played state.  So there is no way to disassociate them in Continue Watching.

Only current option would probably be the CoverArt plugin adding treatment and media Info icons.

Is there a reason you don't do Multi Versioning?  I you want separate folder you and use the Multi Version plugin.

Hi, Thanks for the info.

Is there no way that you could create a new content type called UHD Movies and make the tracking conditional? If provider id is x and content type is y then save new play state?

I haven't used the plugin above as I would like a seperate library dedicated to UHD content, else, if it's all merged, I wouldn't be able to browse UHD Movies at a high level and would need to click on a movie and hope it had a UHD version attached to it.

Thanks 

canada99
2 hours ago, Fender1978 said:

Hi, Thanks for the info.

Is there no way that you could create a new content type called UHD Movies and make the tracking conditional? If provider id is x and content type is y then save new play state?

I haven't used the plugin above as I would like a seperate library dedicated to UHD content, else, if it's all merged, I wouldn't be able to browse UHD Movies at a high level and would need to click on a movie and hope it had a UHD version attached to it.

Thanks 

When I have a 4K movie and a 720 or 1080 I just delete them and use the 4k instead of having doubles because it looks funny having doubles. The plugin shows as 4k so not a big deal although I like the idea of having both as stated with dedicated 4k folder.

emby.jpg

• Like 1

rbjtech

If the plan is to have a unique UHD library, then you have the option to create another instance of Emby running in parallel to your other version.  Just give it another port - and call it 'Emby 4K' - then when you select a server, you can just pick the 4K version - all with individual tracking/setup etc

It would be ideal if it was a separate db/library but as identified above, as the primary key is the movie ID, then you need multiple databases (or multiple primary keys in a single DB), so this solution gives you that.

This is actually how I run my test/beta system as well, run it in parallel on a different port - but point to the same libraries (meta is kept local, not with media).

crusher11
13 hours ago, Fender1978 said:

Hi, Thanks for the info.

Thanks 

Why not:

1. Filter your library by '4K'.
2. Watch movies because of what the movies are, rather than what their resolution is.

Fender1978
20 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Hi, Thanks for the info.

Thanks 

Fender1978

Thanks everyone for so many ideas. A big help! 🙂

Would anyone happen to know if you can use the multi-versioning plugin and the cover art plugin together? So the cover art would display 4K and when a user clicks the cover art, they can choose between 1080 and 4K.

Thank you 

crusher11

Multiversioning isn't a plugin, it's a feature of Emby. I'm not sure which spec CoverArt chooses when doing multiversion.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Multiversioning isn't a plugin

Yes there is one for users that want different folder layout as I linked about.  Just isn't in the catalog.

23 minutes ago, Fender1978 said:

Would anyone happen to know if you can use the multi-versioning plugin and the cover art plugin together? So the cover art would display 4K and when a user clicks the cover art, they can choose between 1080 and 4K.

Well since CoverArt has the ability to folder rules  that should work.

Fender1978

Cool, so for clarification, I can place 2 movies of the same name but different resolutions into the same folder and emby will automatically enable versioning? (The multi-versioning plugin seems outdated? I could be wrong)

• Solution
Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Fender1978 said:

Cool, so for clarification, I can place 2 movies of the same name but different resolutions into the same folder and emby will automatically enable versioning? (The multi-versioning plugin seems outdated? I could be wrong)

Plugin date is irrelavent as it still works on 4.5+ and 4.6.  The KB shows multi-version naming requirements for automatic merged versioning.  But CoverArt will/could be random on which version the poster will be treated for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fender1978 said:

Follow the naming conventions outlined in Movie Naming.

The plug-in is from a 3rd party and is only needed if you want versions that reside in different locations.

• Like 1

Fender1978
23 minutes ago, ebr said:

Follow the naming conventions outlined in Movie Naming.

The plug-in is from a 3rd party and is only needed if you want versions that reside in different locations.

Amazing! Thanks ebr and also to everyone else for your input! All duplicate named movie files reside in same folder using the emby naming convention and it works a charm! 

Very nice 😉

• 4 months later...
ptr727

I'm a Plex convert, and I just ran into this same issue.

I keep a separate media libraries for non-4K and 4K content, I do not mix content in the same folder, i.e. my media is not named by resolution and placed in the same folder, as the naming recommends.

Popular tools do not support multiple versions of the same content in the same folder, so as recommended by Plex, and users of said tools, I run two versions of the tool, and I keep two separate folders, and two movie libraries.

Changing cover art seems like a workaround for something that could natively be supported, especially for 4K, is an enhancement for native support documented, and I can lend my support?

3 minutes ago, ptr727 said:

I'm a Plex convert, and I just ran into this same issue.

I keep a separate media libraries for non-4K and 4K content, I do not mix content in the same folder, i.e. my media is not named by resolution and placed in the same folder, as the naming recommends.

Popular tools do not support multiple versions of the same content in the same folder, so as recommended by Plex, and users of said tools, I run two versions of the tool, and I keep two separate folders, and two movie libraries.

Changing cover art seems like a workaround for something that could natively be supported, especially for 4K, is an enhancement for native support documented, and I can lend my support?

Hi, what exactly are you asking for native support for?

ptr727

Per reading this thread, it seems my choices are:

1. Use a "multi versioning plugin", that seems to be an idea not something that exists.
  2. Filter 4K content, poor user experience when that would remove non-4K content from view.
  3. Name files differently in the same folder, does not work with popular content acquisition tools that do not support multiple formats per folder.

I am asking, that like Plex, play state is tracked per media file, while collections etc. can still be based on media id's, etc.

Edited by ptr727

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, ptr727 said:

I am asking, that like Plex, play state is tracked per media file,

And how would that be done? If tracked by file you could never relocate or reorganize your media correct? 

But in the end all versions are the same except for quality (cuts are a different story, but still considered the same media by all providers).  I don't believe there can truly be a way that pleases everyone though.

ptr727

I understand that today it is tracked by media id, so yes, it would be a change, and obviously effort, with a questionable ROI.

In my case media files never get moved once committed, and I feel confident that is the case for most users, yet I frequently watch content on 4K and non-4K systems, and I never want transcoding, so I keep two libraries for the same content. The transcoding vs. no-transcoding is in my experience the most cited reason for separate libraries, followed by acquisition tools not supporting multiple formats of the same movie per folder.

As an alternative that resolves the usability issue (two movies with same name next to each other and not knowing what resolution the content is when selected to play from home screen), If the UI encountered the same content from different libraries, and it displayed the difference in the home UI, that would alleviate watching confusion. E.g. "single movie", "same movie (library1)", "same movie (library2)".

8 hours ago, ptr727 said:

and I feel confident that is the case for most users,

Hi.  In our experience, it isn't.  Users regularly re-organize and or update their media files or hardware.  The old MB system used to track by file and this was a constant issue which is why we changed the way it is tracked when we re-built Emby.

8 hours ago, ptr727 said:

and it displayed the difference in the home UI

The CoverArt or new Iconic plug-ins can help you here by automatically using cover indicators for the different versions.