Video bitrate limit above 120 Mbps without transcoding - Required to playback DJI Mavic Air 2 4k60 captures

mlpaschal
Go to solution Solved by sooty234,

sooty234

Sadly, no. I just tested a 200Mb/s video, and it transcoded. I can play it directly in mpv over the network.

REMOVE THE DAMN LIMITS!

• Like 1

And what disc did this come off of?

Did you try playing it back using Disc mode/Direct play?

Edited by cayars

sooty234

Oh right, because all videos that emby users put in their servers are from discs. That's right, I forgot. Nobody uses videos that they made themselves and forbid anyone downloading from the internet, because nobody does that, right? Go away Carlo, your argument is invalid and none of us have to justify ourselves to you.

But just for demonstration purposes, transcode log attached. And you know what's really stupid? The library is on the same machine I'm playing it. The network isn't involved. So this is purely emby getting in the way.

1247652332_Screenshot2020-11-23192947.jpg.51e3fd536d40a23bf7683a958b143805.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-02bcc664-1075-4bd0-9641-b592fb5dc4b3_1.txt

Just saying it handles what 99.999% of people will need.  200Mbps is a ridiculous bitrate to NEED for video you've post processed, I don't care what the media is. There is going to be VERY LITTLE difference between a 100 and 200 Mbps video if processed correctly. Most people couldn't tell the difference between a 50 and 200Mbps video if process properly on a 120" screen  unless you're doing slow motion, fast detail work or super high fps. and actually need it (not just doing it because you can).

Unless you're forcing bitrates I doubt very highly you can get that bitrate out of any PC tool in itself because it would almost certainly find the sweet spot much lower bitrate wise.

Maybe you got that backwards as the present limits already support all commercial rips and streams. Bluray discs and 4K media just can't go that high and this would account for 99.999% of what Emby needs to handle. NOBODY is having issues unless doing crazy high bitrates that just aren't real-world.

Who would want to load 200Mbps files in Emby to stream?  This isn't Kodi but with direct file play can act very similar playback wise.
If so I'd hope you have direct play via file setup in your clients so that can be played directly from disc.

The stuff you're talking about just isn't real-world bitrates! You're forcing these bitrates but the software you use would never choose these bitrates on it's own as it could do the same job using 1/10 to 1/5 the bitrate easily.

Just because you can produce these file doesn't mean Emby should support them.  You could just as easily produce 80 to 100Mbps files or lower with little to no degradation in quality and would play back on far more devices (Emby or otherwise).

Emby is ALREADY pushing the envelope of the bitrate that the shield "claims" to support.  This UI also runs on other Android TV platforms as well which aren't as robust as the Shield TV.

Bumping up the bitrate past where it's at, needs some justifiable reason and this doesn't include media you can produce, as you can also easily produce far lower bitrate quality media as well.  Is there any commercial disc when ripped that Emby on the Shield can't support bitrate wise?

I too can produce ridiculously high bitrate files to break all kinds of software and devices but why?  If it's not streaming worthy I'm just wasting my time!

Edited by cayars

sooty234
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Justify the need!

2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Oh right, because all videos that emby users put in their servers are from discs. That's right, I forgot. Nobody uses videos that they made themselves and forbid anyone downloading from the internet, because nobody does that, right? Go away Carlo, your argument is invalid and none of us have to justify ourselves to you.

Follow along dear boy.

Have been.  I see Emby working correctly for everything that can be ripped from commercial discs.

Can you provide any info that Emby doesn't support any commercial RIPs or similar (besides fabricated files you create)?

We aren't interested in media you personally produce to elevate bitrates.

Please give us something commercial that when ripped doesn't work (bitrate wise) that will affect users/consumers of media.

Unless you can give specific examples your "blah, blah blah" is useless.

Give us concreate examples of what Emby can't do that actual real users will experience. This doesn't include your personal medial. 

sooty234
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have been.  I see Emby working correctly for everything that can be ripped from commercial discs.

Can you provide any info that Emby doesn't support any commercial RIPs or similar (besides fabricated files you create)?

2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Oh right, because all videos that emby users put in their servers are from discs. That's right, I forgot. Nobody uses videos that they made themselves and forbid anyone downloading from the internet, because nobody does that, right? 

You aren't very good at this, are you? 

And again, I have nothing to justify to you. You're just another emby user. 

• Like 1

What Emby as a whole is interested in is if we can support the media that's readily available.

Show us something that doesn't work that you can tell us how to reproduce.  What disc? What rip program?
You can't because the bitrates you want us to support just don't exist in the real world short of personal media. They are above what you will find on disc.

We are not interested in fabricated bitrates created at the personal level! We can all create 300 Mpbs media but it's not real world and meaningless and we don't care so much about these.

Show me I'm wrong. What disc/rip can't we support?

Can you justify your request for additional bitrate with legit sources other than personally created media?

Edited by cayars

sooty234

Discs are bullshit, and antiquated. If you look at the OP, that video exceeds Theater's limit. 

You can keep talking about discs all you want, but nobody's listening. 

And once again, none of us need to justify ourselves to you.

Edited by sooty234

vdatanet

I understand that such high bitrates are not common and that no effort is made to support them, but if the only problem is an arbitrary limit, this limit should not exist.

• Like 1

CBers
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

I understand that such high bitrates are not common and that no effort is made to support them, but if the only problem is an arbitrary limit, this limit should not exist.

Totally agree.

There should be no limit imposed by Emby.

It won't affect the normal user, but it allows the ADVANCED user to not have to worry about any bitrate limitation.

4 hours ago, CBers said:

It won't affect the normal user

It will because people select options without knowing what they actually do.  Every device/environment has limits.  Right now we've chosen reasonable ones.  They can always be expanded as necessary in the future.

• Sad 1
  • Confused 2