Really slow start on native playback and forced reencode due to Vobsub

Simaryp

Hi,

I got recently a shield and tried out the Emby Apps in parallel to the Kodi addon.

I have found two main Issues for me with the Android TV Emby app.

1. As stated herefiles with Vobsub subtitles will force a reencode.
  2. If the reencode occurs playback starts smoothly. But if I disable subtitles to get native playback, I get huge delays, maybe have to forward or go back to get actual playback starting.

I tried out the new Android version as proposed by @Luke, but this has it's own issues. First it's not in the Android TV playstore. Second and more important. If Refresh Rate Switching is enabled not only the refresh rate but also resolution is changed from UHD to FHD.

Best would be to have smooth playback start and subtitle capabilities from Android and refresh rate feature from Android TV in one app thats in the Android TV Play Store.

Edited by Simaryp

33 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly what did you disable here and why?

Oh, sry. I was maybe a bit confused when I wrote that down. I meant when I disabled subtitles. The the playback is native, but the playback is really buggy at the beginning. Loading takes longer or ages. Forwarding etc. gets it started.

So you are saying you get a slow start to playback when direct playing without the subs enabled?

Can we look at a specific example?

I sent the report just now 20:53 German time zone.

I started the Emby for Android TV app, started an episode of the Simpsons. The screen went short time black, which is ok, because it's about the frequency switching. Than I saw for sever seconds the loading circle and nothing happens. Loading circle disappear and then only back screen. I used the arrow wheel to forward and position was already around 30 seconds. I had to go back and enter to start actual playback.

So I guess this is a rip from a DVD?  It is SD mpeg2.  What is the frame rate of the source? 25 (so a PAL DVD)?

Try turning off the auto refresh rate switching and see if it behaves better (as a test).