[CLOSED] 4K playback on Nvidia Shield Pro stuttering even with 900Mb/s LAN transfer speeds from unRaid server

aoommen

As the title suggests trying to get the stuttering (or buffering or pausing and playing)  fixed while streaming 4K content from my unRaid server  which has pretty good transfer speeds on the LAN network connected (Screenshot below).

I also have hardware acceleration enabled on my server using an Nvidia Quadro P2200 card, which I don't think matters for the shield playback (4K shows as direct playback on Shield) but wanted to mention in case it did.

Emby Server: Docker container on unRaid  6.8.x (latest)

Client: Nvidia Shield Pro with Emby App

Network: 1Gig hardwired Ethernet connection via a gigabit switch

Any and all help is appreciated. 

Shield as client to Tower Server LAN speedtest.jpg

Edited by aoommen

mastrmind11

what happens when you force a transcode?  hit the playback correction button on the client and report back.

The drives are mounted as SATA drives on unRaid with 6Gbps uplink.

I will post the transcode output and logs soon, but just for clarity  I'm not trying to transcode here, using the Nvidia Shield, would like to play it in original quality.

27 minutes ago, aoommen said:

The drives are mounted as SATA drives

But how does your Docker container "see" or access these drives?

20 hours ago, ebr said:

But how does your Docker container "see" or access these drives?

Thanks for the response, do you mean the volume mappings for the container, if so, then here is the docker compose and library folder mapping screenshot - 4K content is in most of the library locations (split by movie language):

version: '3.3'
services:
    embyserver:
        container_name: EmbyServer
        network_mode: host
        environment:
            - TZ=America/Chicago
            - HOST_OS=Unraid
            - TCP_PORT_8096=8096
            - APP_UID=99
            - APP_GID=100
            - NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES=all
            - NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=GPU-MYGPUID
        volumes:
            - '/mnt:/mnt:rw'
            - '/mnt/user/appdata/EmbyServer:/config:rw'
        image: 'emby/embyserver:beta'

Media: /mnt  <->  /mnt
Config Appdata: /config  <-> /mnt/user/appdata/EmbyServer

Here  is a screenshot of the library mapping using the Media volume mapping, just noticed that collections is being mapped to the config folder - not sure if I can change that, did not see an edit option.

393443396_2020-11-2412_19_52-Library.thumb.jpg.9cda22d6dfa4d80c9cf2676c268c307b.jpg

RanmaCanada

I would use ES File explorer and see what the actual transfer rates are from your UNRAID server to your Shield by trying to copy a file over (I know you have done something similar but another method is always good to try).  It's possible it could be a drive being slow (I have some archive drives that only read at about 80mb/s and they are in the process of being replaced)  It's possible it could also be the temp storage on your Shield that is giving it an issue, so I would suggest to test that also.

1 hour ago, RanmaCanada said:

I would use ES File explorer and see what the actual transfer rates are from your UNRAID server to your Shield by trying to copy a file over (I know you have done something similar but another method is always good to try).  It's possible it could be a drive being slow (I have some archive drives that only read at about 80mb/s and they are in the process of being replaced)  It's possible it could also be the temp storage on your Shield that is giving it an issue, so I would suggest to test that also.

Thanks but I am positive it isn't LAN transfer speeds between server and client - the speeds are significantly higher than what is required for 4K playback or streaming. What I have tried to test that is use iperf3 with ShieldTV as the client, a little more descriptive and comprehensive than a single file transfer, to test that and the results from that is what is shown as the screenshot above. So, I believe we could rule out LAN speed as the root cause. 

That said, it could be still something I need to do at the server end not sure what though, hence the question.

rbjtech
On 23/11/2020 at 21:37, aoommen said:

The drives are mounted as SATA drives on unRaid with 6Gbps uplink.

I will post the transcode output and logs soon, but just for clarity  I'm not trying to transcode here, using the Nvidia Shield, would like to play it in original quality.

For elimination purposes - try with a standard 1Gig uplink.  The port channelling may be interfering with things .. it shouldn't be as each connection will only ever use 1 of the port channels anyway ..

On 11/25/2020 at 7:48 AM, Luke said:

Can you try this on the shield and see how it compares?

Thanks Luke - do you mean sideload this apk instead of the play store Emby one on Shield? 

I am using the most recent available from play store currently, so we would be rolling back here  right? Could you please let me know the reason why?

Also 'for Android' vs 'for Android TV' - would that be a problem?

Edited by aoommen

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 12:26 PM, Luke said:

Yes if you could try sideloading that it would be a helpful test. Thanks.

@Luke Apologies for the late reply, I did try this and sideloaded the old version and it did not fix it. However, I recently updated the hardware on my server - beefed up my CPU and added some RAM sticks, and now this is no longer an issue, so unsure what was the issue but it is fixed now. 4K plays well on Shield.

I started having a library scan error today, log is attached. Looks to me (with severely limited knowledge) as if it is ffprobe related, there are a bunch if ImagebyName paths being shows as deleted in the log, not sure what all this is about. Please take a look and let me know.

Not sure if this is related -  I had to repair FS corruption on one of my disks on the server and rebuild parity. But once the disk was re-added to the array a bunch of old movies and shows were shown added as new to Emby and my phone was blowing up with pushbullet notifications. 

embyserver.txt

!!Bump!! Anyone. This is still an issue.

Just for reference - I do have Plex running as a docker container as well on the same server and accessing the same shares, and they are updating without issues. I do not use Plex often but just checked to see and they are updating. So unsure what happened with Emby.

Hi, what old version did you sideload? Id like to know what the version number was because there has been a lot of recent development on the video player.

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what old version did you sideload? Id like to know what the version number was because there has been a lot of recent development on the video player.

I'm confused - the one you linked above. Wasn't that what you wanted me to do? See below.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:48 AM, Luke said:

Can you try this on the shield and see how it compares?

Thanks.

vdatanet
7 hours ago, aoommen said:

I'm confused - the one you linked above. Wasn't that what you wanted me to do? See below

Yes, it's the same link for the updated version, current version is 3.1.69

12 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, it's the same link for the updated version, current version is 3.1.69

Thanks, yes that is the one I sideloaded but the stuttering was still happening when 4K content was played on that App on Shield. But with the server hardware being upgraded recently that issue is solved now.