Bug when casting from Chromecast on recent versions

ironblack
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ironblack

Hello, since a few days (maybe a week) I haven't been able to play many of my videos on my Chromecast.

I don't have problems sending to Chromecast videos encoded, for instance, in H264 from my Android mobile Emby app. The problem happens with - at least - videos encoded in SD-MPEG4, like the one shown in the attached image.

The behaviour, in this case, is that the TV seems to start playing it, but Emby on the TV then plays only the audio, and not the video, and displays the Emby logo while doing so.

Another strange behaviour I have noticed with almost the same timeframe as the problem above is that when choosing the device to cast to, I am prompted with a triple-selection for other Android Emby clients, when before I had saw one (correctly) - see picture 2. As you can see, for each Android device in my network two entries are the same, and the third one has %20 instead of the spaces.

Can you please help? I am using the latest 3.1.61, but also with 3.1.60 the same problem was present; however I have casted these videos before, without issues.

Thank you,

Marco

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.03.44.png

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.09.24.png

neverwonderwhy

Hello there,

I've got a weird problem. When I cast older files encoded with things like DIVX to Chromecasts they play the audio but not the video. Newer codecs like h264 and HEVC work fine on the Chromecasts. The older files play correctly through the Emby iOS app as well as the browser.

According to the ffmpeg logs, transcoding was successful and I can see the segments the temporary directory on the server. I don't see anything obviously wrong in the embyserver log.

I've tried reinstalling Emby (FreeNAS plugin) but that had no effect.

These files used to be Chromecast-able; I don't know what changed or when precisely.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a5720e18-5bb1-4b53-a8b8-97ee61486ae7_1.txt

ironblack

Hello Luke, here are the logs generated by Emby when playing the file that plays only audio and not video. I played it only once, but two ffmpeg-transcode files are generated within a single second, don't know if this could be an issue.

Please note that I have redacted my (public internet) domain with REDACTED_INTERNET_DOMAIN.

Thank you,

Marco

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-99a67b71-6c8c-4a40-9e64-d7ca294dd8a6_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c98e63b8-fce9-4f22-b778-97950ef65d7e_1.txt

Edited by ironblack
added thank you note

hello,

me too same issue with MPEG4 (xvid) when i try to cast on chromecast 4k,

i hear just the sound, no display on TV and no time-controlbar on my phone...

the video is playing well on the phone.

EMBY QNAP version.

• Solution

I've pushed an update to our Chromecast receiver app to resolve this. Please try again. Thanks guys.

• Thanks 1