Brand New to Linux and Lost - Can't Add Media

mrcraigc

mrcraigc

I switched to Linux because I was tired of Windows crashing constantly after recent updates... Anyway I've attempted to setup Emby now that I'm on Linux and I think I bit off more than I can chew. I have no idea how to locate the media on my external drive when I go to add a library. I guess I didn't realize how complex Linux was. I don't even know where to start. 

EDIT: I was able to get a local folder recognized via Samba but can not give this same permission to my external drive.

Edited by mrcraigc
More details

mastrmind11
14 hours ago, mrcraigc said:

I switched to Linux because I was tired of Windows crashing constantly after recent updates... Anyway I've attempted to setup Emby now that I'm on Linux and I think I bit off more than I can chew. I have no idea how to locate the media on my external drive when I go to add a library. I guess I didn't realize how complex Linux was. I don't even know where to start. 

EDIT: I was able to get a local folder recognized via Samba but can not give this same permission to my external drive.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/how-to-mount-usb-drive-in-a-linux-system

MediaMogal

It would help if you listed both the Linux distro and the desktop environment. For me I'm running EndeavourOS with the Plasma desktop and have move my mount points to /mnt/. Gave myself access which gives Emby access. How you give yourself and Emby permissions can vary depending on the Distro and DE.

mrcraigc
8 minutes ago, MediaMogal said:

It would help if you listed both the Linux distro and the desktop environment. For me I'm running EndeavourOS with the Plasma desktop and have move my mount points to /mnt/. Gave myself access which gives Emby access. How you give yourself and Emby permissions can vary depending on the Distro and DE.

I'm running Mint Cinnamon.

MediaMogal

Cool then if you want you can create a folder under your username in /home/(your username)/(mounts, or whatever you want to name it)/ (subfolder or subfolders for you media drives / partitions)/

Mint Cinnamon is great.

mrcraigc
11 minutes ago, MediaMogal said:

Cool then if you want you can create a folder under your username in /home/(your username)/(mounts, or whatever you want to name it)/ (subfolder or subfolders for you media drives / partitions)/

Mint Cinnamon is great.

Forgive me as I'm totally new to Linux. How do I do that?

MediaMogal

Since you're running Mint I'd suggest you go to their forums and register if you haven't.  Have them help you get your mounts setup and their permissions correct for use with Emby and then come back here if you still need help with Emby.

mrcraigc
On 11/22/2020 at 5:00 AM, MediaMogal said:

Since you're running Mint I'd suggest you go to their forums and register if you haven't.  Have them help you get your mounts setup and their permissions correct for use with Emby and then come back here if you still need help with Emby.

Sadly they aren't being much help. Looks like I won't be able to use emby for movies anymore. Pretty bummed. I can still use as a music server though so not a complete waste.

mrcraigc
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

What have you done so far to try to mount it?

I've tried a few things from other threads but I'll get an error message or something else that doesn't occur in the thread and I'm not able to continue.

mastrmind11
8 hours ago, mrcraigc said:

I've tried a few things from other threads but I'll get an error message or something else that doesn't occur in the thread and I'm not able to continue.

so post what happens when you try stuff.  mounting external drives is not exactly a new thing so we should be able to walk you through it.  it's not relly possible to help you out without details about what you've tried and the corresponding results.

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

mrcraigc
8 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

so post what happens when you try stuff.  mounting external drives is not exactly a new thing so we should be able to walk you through it.  it's not relly possible to help you out without details about what you've tried and the corresponding results.

Here's the error I get when I try to mount the drive.

Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

mastrmind11
41 minutes ago, mrcraigc said:

Here's the error I get when I try to mount the drive.

Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

ok..... so what commands did you use to mount it?   the more info, the more helpful we become...

mrcraigc
14 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

ok..... so what commands did you use to mount it?   the more info, the more helpful we become...

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt

mastrmind11
1 minute ago, mrcraigc said:

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt

so run umount /dev/sdb2 then the same command as above and report the output.  the OS likely took control since you're mounting it after the fact, with a GUI in place.

Edited by mastrmind11

mrcraigc
30 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

so run umount /dev/sdb2 then the same command as above and report the output.  the OS likely took control since you're mounting it after the fact, with a GUI in place.

OK, great. Now it's showing under mounted drives. I get this message when trying to create a share for the folder though:

Ask the administrator to add the line "usershare owner only=false" to the [global] section of the smb.conf to allow this.

mastrmind11

yeah there's plenty more you need to do.

can emby see any other of your media?  i'm being lazy and dont want to scroll but i think you mentioned music.  you need to figure out who owns your music collection, and then we need to set your video files to the same permissions as you music (assuming I remember correctly where this topic has been).  Then, once we get that, we need to set your fstab file to auto-mount this drive with the proper permissions on restart so the OS doesn't have a chance to grab it first.  

TLDR, which user/group owns your music (assuming emby has access to it).

edit:  you have something screwed up somewhere that'll likely get resolved with an fstab update, but an smb.conf file should not be needed for an ntfs file system unless you yolo'd a bunch of commands into your distro without recourse and that error is a side effect.

Edited by mastrmind11

mrcraigc
2 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

yeah there's plenty more you need to do.

can emby see any other of your media?  i'm being lazy and dont want to scroll but i think you mentioned music.  you need to figure out who owns your music collection, and then we need to set your video files to the same permissions as you music (assuming I remember correctly where this topic has been).  Then, once we get that, we need to set your fstab file to auto-mount this drive with the proper permissions on restart so the OS doesn't have a chance to grab it first.  

TLDR, which user/group owns your music (assuming emby has access to it).

emby does. How can I check and see the user access?

mastrmind11
2 hours ago, mrcraigc said:

emby does. How can I check and see the user access?

ok, so....

drop into your shell and go to the root of your mounted drive.  then type ls -l and paste it here.  then go into root folder of the media that emby can see and type ls -l and paste the output here.  then go to the root folder of your media that emby cant and type ls -l and paste the results here.      OR, you can give it the old college try and look at the owner of your media that emby can see and change all your media that emby can't see to the same permissions and just be done with it, which is what I'll literally tell you to do next.

mrcraigc
11 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

ok, so....

drop into your shell and go to the root of your mounted drive.  then type ls -l and paste it here.  then go into root folder of the media that emby can see and type ls -l and paste the output here.  then go to the root folder of your media that emby cant and type ls -l and paste the results here.      OR, you can give it the old college try and look at the owner of your media that emby can see and change all your media that emby can't see to the same permissions and just be done with it, which is what I'll literally tell you to do next.

Sorry, but I have no idea how to do any of that. 

mastrmind11
Just now, mrcraigc said:

Sorry, but I have no idea how to do any of that. 

how to do what?  you have a literal world of information available to you.  if you're unwilling to try, so am I.  best of luck.

mrcraigc
Just now, mastrmind11 said:

how to do what?  you have a literal world of information available to you.  if you're unwilling to try, so am I.  best of luck.

Sorry, I don't know how to drop into a shell. I'm brand new to Linux. Guess I'll have to learn it all and maybe revisit accessing my movies via emby in the future.

I appreciate the help and understand why you'd be frustrated with me. 

mrcraigc

I see the owner of the mounted external drive is Root. From what I am seeing via searches this is part of my problem. Have yet to find a solution that allows me to change owner.

Edited by mrcraigc