HEVC Rext Profile not direct playing.

gokuz

d2fe1c29-38ac-4cc8-9ce7-841f8f0292f2.png

mpv external player can play it flawlessly. Add back libmpv. Maybe that will solve it.

Edited by gokuz

Do you have that apk i can try? Couldn't find the beta anywhere since it's closed source. 

If libmpv uses the same player as mpv, i don't see why it wouldn't work since mpv is open source. But there's no toggle to change players from exo to libmpv.

It's not a question of libmpv or not. What we're doing now is superior to using libmpv. Thank you for your patience.

9 hours ago, Luke said:

It's not a question of libmpv or not. What we're doing now is superior to using libmpv. Thank you for your patience.

mpv external player can play direct play though. And since libmpv is related to mpv, why do you say exoplayer is superior?

It's not that it's superior by itself, it's what we've done with it. See all the testing threads on the testing area over the last few months for defaults.

Still doesn't explain mpv external player works much better than exoplayer.

Why not just use libmpv and optimize it to play just like the mpv external app?

7 hours ago, gokuz said:

Still doesn't explain mpv external player works much better than exoplayer.

Why not just use libmpv and optimize it to play just like the mpv external app?

It doesn't.  As Luke already said:

On 11/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, Luke said:

On 11/22/2020 at 8:41 AM, Luke said:

It's not that it's superior by itself, it's what we've done with it. See all the testing threads on the testing area over the last few months for defaults.

Keep in mind Rext isn't very common at all outside of Anime. I don't know why but it seems the people putting out Anime go out of their way to always use the "latest/greatest" everything regardless of compatibility.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Keep in mind Rext isn't very common at all outside of Anime. I don't know why but it seems the people putting out Anime go out of their way to always use the "latest/greatest" everything regardless of compatibility.

I'd better keep an eye open! It's not one I've come across yet, though your point is proven by the fact that a lot of my anime is main10 profile, which already causes transcoding on some clients.

Paul

• Like 1

sooty234

REXT is likely used in anime to gain detail. This video is 4:2:2. All of the REXT videos I have are 4:2:2 (but none of them are anime). Just about all other videos are 4:2:0. Anime has more definitive edges than live action, so that would be my guess.

Comparing 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 doesn't add more detail. It rather adds more fine-grained color values which makes zero sense for cartoons or anime....

Though, I don't have any plausible idea why they might be doing like that.

• Like 1